Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread - Page 1648 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 04-18-2013, 05:41 PM   #24706
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Also, i guess, whats it going to run me to have an engine rebuilt with machine work? I'm guessing somewhere around $1200 all said and done?

Same guy has a 360 thats all disassembled (crank is in, cam bearings are in, main bearings are in), bored .030 over, crank turned .010 on rods and mains, new pistons are already on the rods. He has a full rebuilt kid and everything needed to put it all back together.

$650 for everything (not including the heads)

Thoughts?

Illegitimi Non Carborundum

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Dr. Marneaus is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2013, 05:47 PM   #24707
gregaf3
2013 JK Wrangler 

Personally I would just rebuild what you have. If you do get his motor, I would have a machine shop go though and check the specs to be safe. I always get worried with people saying halfway built stuff is good to go. To me it just sounds like a used car salesman trying to sell an unfinished project. I would ask why he does not just finish the engine and sell it complete. Don't forget to figure in the drive to Kingman for both your time and gas money.
Unread 04-18-2013, 05:51 PM   #24708
ksturgio
1997 ZJ 

650 would be a good deal with a bunch of IF's. you are going to be re- checking everything that owner did because 90% of the time it is f'd up already. What kind of kit does he have? Who did the machine work?
$250 is a solid price IMHO. I'm not sure what the market support is for your 360. $250 for a set of used heads that needs rebuilt is the norm for Chevys. Also goes back to who rebuilt it and assembled them. Just a suggestion on the heads. If you already have them off and going to rebuild, having them ported is a good idea.
ksturgio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2013, 06:03 PM   #24709
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Looks to be an Enginetech kit. This appears to be a budget minded kit, but from what I've read they are fine quality wise, just not a premium type kit. Good for stock rebuilds.

I'll look into who did the work, with the receipts and all. Looks recent. He seems to be selling it because of a different j-truck taking precedence. He's a guy on IFSJA, so not some super random craigslist seller at least.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Unread 04-18-2013, 06:40 PM   #24710
Raptor0206
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post
Looks to be an Enginetech kit. This appears to be a budget minded kit, but from what I've read they are fine quality wise, just not a premium type kit. Good for stock rebuilds.

I'll look into who did the work, with the receipts and all. Looks recent. He seems to be selling it because of a different j-truck taking precedence. He's a guy on IFSJA, so not some super random craigslist seller at least.
i have also heard storing the crank wrong will f it up. not to sure how true that is but....
when i did my 350 for my old camaro i got the block for free had it machined, balanced and blue printed for 1200 (short block) put on some new world heads for around 600 and intake for 100 and carb for 250, all together just over 2k for a running 450hp. Now a 360 will probably cost 1/3 or so more
Raptor0206 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2013, 06:45 PM   #24711
dmgiff
1997 TJ Wrangler 

My 5.2 dodge engine ran $2,400- ish. But needed new heads, cam, roller lifters, timing set along with the normal bearings pistons and stuff.
dmgiff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2013, 06:51 PM   #24712
Raptor0206
1985 CJ7 

And i thought i wanted a lot for my TJ lmao AND its a 4 banger
http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/3747996260.html

Greg want some painted fenders?
http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/3751748913.html
Unread 04-18-2013, 07:00 PM   #24713
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Thanks for the info guys.

Keep in mind if rebuilding the motor I have, I'm going to stay pretty dang close to stock. Intake and cam would be about it. And wouldn't be needing any premium components ya know?

So basically, if this motor is sound, 600-800 would be a good deal?

Unread 04-18-2013, 07:02 PM   #24714
Raptor0206
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Thanks for the info guys.

Keep in mind if rebuilding the motor I have, I'm going to stay pretty dang close to stock. Intake and cam would be about it. And wouldn't be needing any premium components ya know?

So basically, if this motor is sound, 600-800 would be a good deal?
complete 5.3 and transmission set up would be under 1500
Unread 04-18-2013, 07:06 PM   #24715
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

He said the heads were rebuilt to. stock and when he installed the crank he plastigaged and all was in spec. That's all that's assembled I guess

Unread 04-18-2013, 07:06 PM   #24716
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor0206

complete 5.3 and transmission set up would be under 1500
Nothing modem please! Heck I'm considering runnig points!

And I want to keep it jeep. As close to stock as I can.

Unread 04-18-2013, 07:22 PM   #24717
Raptor0206
1985 CJ7 

Quote:

Come on now that's no fun
Unread 04-18-2013, 07:29 PM   #24718
Spaceball

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

What's wrong with the motor in it now, worn out?
Spaceball is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2013, 08:40 PM   #24719
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceball

What's wrong with the motor in it now, worn out?
It had 155000 on it when I put it in the truck lol. Bottom end noise. Just have always had the goal of a fresh motor.

The one I have now was to hold me over until I could rebuild the original one but its been in there for like 2 years now and runs well. Also discovered some weird stuff about the original motor (stuff like how it has heads from the 80's)

Unread 04-18-2013, 08:42 PM   #24720
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Little more info:

Give me a day or so to look for the receipts. I think I have them.

The the heads were resurfaced and the block was machined at
Carquest Auto Machine Shop
Grand Forks, ND

I had the heads rebuilt at
TNT Auto Center
Kingman, AZ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.