Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread - Page 1646 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 04-18-2013, 10:42 AM   #24676
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregaf3 View Post
Ha ha, damn auto correct. when are you going blind again?
:flipoff:

Thanks Greg!

Its so short ****s like me and you can still get in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ACR View Post
My issue was I couldn't get the balls centered. I had to use some extra force to get everything lined up right. It didn't take me long.

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
andy02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2013, 12:25 PM   #24677
sirhk100

To do:

• design & fabricate new steering system (mockup sunday "hopefully" and fabricate early next week)
  • hard mount MAF (tonight)
  • Wire MAF (tonight)
  • Temporarily install current air filter (tonight)
  • order new quality air filter, not POS kragen cone filter (tomorrow)
  • Find vent for breather tube from old intake (asap)
  • install 90 degree fittings for reservoirs (tonight/tomorrow)
  • Figure out where to and mount shock reservoirs (tomorrow)
  • install front brake lines and brake calipers (sunday)
  • Mount brake lines (sunday)
  • weld engine cage crosstubes (tonight)
  • swap out front door speakers (tonight/tomorrow)
  • install new cd player (tomorrow night)
  • install sub/amp combo (next week)
  • finish 2 remaining rear fender mounts (next week)
  • Redo drivers side rear door fender (next week)
  • install headliner (2 weeks)
  • fabricate rock sliders (next weekend)
  • install front bumper (as soon as steering is finished)
  • install rear bumper (next week)
  • strengthen rear bumper and fabricate hitch into bumper design (2 weeks)
  • tint windows (asap once driving, next week or following?)
  • body/paint (after a couple test runs...)

• Wire fuel pump on race truck (tonight)
  • mount fuel pump to housing (tonight)
  • test run fuel pump and fire truck (tonight)
  • if good, install fuel pump completely (tonight)
  • Change tires on truck and tighten all lug nuts (sat morning)
  • Torque Leaf spring bolts (sat morning)
  • Check all fluids (sat morning)
  • close up fuse panels (sat morning)
  • install in car cameras (sat morning)
  • Gather tools, pit boxes and truck support gear (sat morning)
  • destroy truck (sat.)

There's more to it but yeah, that's what I've got going on in my spare time. Anyone bored and looking to do something and feel they can handle anything on that list, I won't deny any volunteers as long as you don't F it up worse then I would! LOL

http://www.facebook.com/pages/TPF-Racing/255393361194429
sirhk100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2013, 12:49 PM   #24678
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Hey Khris, was looking through a build thread and came across this. Any idea how something like it would happen? Weak welds? **** fab work? Huck the **** out of it? If you look at the first pic, it looks like the tube itself failed right below where the two tubes from the A pillar meet in the front of the engine compartment. I just don't see how this is even remotely possible without ****ing something else up but there was no damage to the beams or radius arms. The radius arm mounts did fail later though.
1465-1-.jpg   1465-2-.jpg  

Quote:
My issue was I couldn't get the balls centered. I had to use some extra force to get everything lined up right. It didn't take me long.

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
Unread 04-18-2013, 12:55 PM   #24679
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

does anybody have one of those ball joint split sleeve adjuster thingy sockets that i could borrow?

Illegitimi Non Carborundum

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Dr. Marneaus is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2013, 01:15 PM   #24680
gregaf3
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy02 View Post
Hey Khris, was looking through a build thread and came across this. Any idea how something like it would happen? Weak welds? **** fab work? Huck the **** out of it? If you look at the first pic, it looks like the tube itself failed right below where the two tubes from the A pillar meet in the front of the engine compartment. I just don't see how this is even remotely possible without ****ing something else up but there was no damage to the beams or radius arms. The radius arm mounts did fail later though.
Looks like thin walled cheap tubing. you can see in the first picture that the tubing is actually torn. I am betting that the welds not being painted cannot help any either. Just look at the rust running off of the tubing.

Also I would question where they secured to the firewall... did they build up the firewall.

Either way even with subpar material It is safe to say that they hit a little bit more than a speed bump at the mall.
Unread 04-18-2013, 01:33 PM   #24681
sirhk100

Andrew, nope... sorry...

Andy, There's no tubes running to the outboard most tubes and only a single vertical tube down the frame rail even close to the shock mounts. So really he only had one tube supporting the whole front end on that thing plus the welds to the a-pillar and lower windshield tube which I'd be willing to bet weren't full 360 welded cause access to that spot is virtually impossible without serious cutting. His setup is fairly similar to what I did on Jasons and my truck too actually but he doesn't have near the support tubes that I have. I'm still tempted to put one more in on each side on Jason's to be honest just for piece of mind.

See, same "v" type setup with the shock mounts between the tubes.

But I've got tubes running down to the frame rails supporting both sides of the shock mounts with some angle to give chassis structure as well.

At least in my head it makes sense. LOL Hopefully jason's truck never ends up looking like that!

If it does, we had a good time, out comes the engine and the saws and I fix it.

Unread 04-18-2013, 01:33 PM   #24682
PhotoJared
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Looks like it wasn't properly welded to the body. That's probably where the failurestarted

Posted from outer space.
other stuff
PhotoJared is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2013, 01:36 PM   #24683
sirhk100

Yeah, material choice didn't even cross my mind. Depending what he used it could've had a lot of flex and movement in general and finally gave up. Seeing that picture really makes me think I want to try and stuff another tube into Jason's truck though again. I convinced myself with the help of a mechanical engineer friend that it wasn't needed but I've seen something in video that still lingers in the back of my head.

Unread 04-18-2013, 01:38 PM   #24684
sirhk100

Also, if that had been mine, I'd have put a tube from that bend at what you'd probably call the top of the core support tube down to the frame rail leaning backwards to triangle that in. Then from where that tube hit the frame, I'd have done another tube upwards to in front of the shock mounts on the outter most tubes.

Unread 04-18-2013, 01:40 PM   #24685
sirhk100

Not sure if I ever showed you these pictures but this is a ranger I did coilovers on years ago in Az. It wasn't caged or anything, just a simple engine cage but you can see i'm supported to the frame on both sides of the upper shock mount, he isn't... It creates a spot for leverage and flexing.

Not the best but working around the space I had and the guy not wanting to relocate or ditch anything, the little kicker brace tube to the top of the frame rail in the picture below was really all I could manage.

Welds are ugly! That may have even been done with my 110V welder before I had my 220... It was at least 6 years ago that I did that. LOL

I also built the light bar and mounted the rear glass. The rear cage wasn't me, that was done by S&S fab which used to be in AZ but is now up in Oregon and is who built the skidplate under the 9" on the race truck.

This is how the truck showed up to my house... Yes, that's the driveway at my house in Az. Zombie Apocolypse, that's one of my 2 options to escape to. Actually it's my plan B. Plan A involves a cabin near the hammers...

Unread 04-18-2013, 02:13 PM   #24686
gregaf3
2013 JK Wrangler 

Just had to post up so Khris was not talking to himself.

Oh yeah Khris the transfer case knob came loose the other day. At first I thought it was just your install job, but the lower part of the knob is loose on the shaft. So if you put enough pressure on it, it works the set screw loose. I did not want to monkey torque the set screw down and strip out the treads. If it comes loose again I will just wrap some tape around the shaft to give it some more girth (Just for you Andy!!) to stop the movement at the bottom.
Unread 04-18-2013, 02:18 PM   #24687
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

shopruger.com for steel 30rd ar mags for $20!!!
Unread 04-18-2013, 02:19 PM   #24688
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

That bed cage

I just can't figure out why anybody would build that.

The front looks better but like you said, those welds look horrible.

Quote:

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
Unread 04-18-2013, 02:21 PM   #24689
gregaf3
2013 JK Wrangler 

Andy what did you ever decide on the 40k service?
Unread 04-18-2013, 02:22 PM   #24690
sirhk100

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregaf3 View Post
Just had to post up so Khris was not talking to himself.

Oh yeah Khris the transfer case knob came loose the other day. At first I thought it was just your install job, but the lower part of the knob is loose on the shaft. So if you put enough pressure on it, it works the set screw loose. I did not want to monkey torque the set screw down and strip out the treads. If it comes loose again I will just wrap some tape around the shaft to give it some more girth (Just for you Andy!!) to stop the movement at the bottom.
So basically you're thinking the set screw isn't getting enough grip onto it? there's a "flat" on the shaft if I remember right. Make sure it's squared up to that flat while tightening. Basically kinda rock/twist it a bit while tightening so that it'll want to naturally square up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.