Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread - Page 1639 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-16-2013, 12:42 PM   #24571
sirhk100

Quote:
Originally Posted by B0nez View Post
You do, in fact you carry two. Check out the back of the truck you built sometime, its those big heavy round things
Oh, I forgot about that thing... It's been a while since I focused on it. The grocery getting SUV I have has a round thingy but it sits in the sideyard. Never really knew where it was supposed to go.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/TPF-Racing/255393361194429
sirhk100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2013, 12:49 PM   #24572
B0nez
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powrjunkey View Post
Looking at wheel spacers. I know a few of you guys run them with no problems, but am still a bit concerned with them. Ive been looking at the spidertrax ones. Any other manufacturers I should consider? What site gives the best prices with shipping? THe best I've come up with is around $200 for the four.
I ran wheel spacers on one of my past rigs with no problems. There are people that dont like them because the stress points are moved, extra nuts to torque, and a million other excuses. In fact, some tire shops refuse to mount wheels on vehicles with wheel spacers.. all things to consider.

That being said, they are just like any other tool, part, brand etc. Gonna be some lovers, some haters anf a bunch that could care less, it all boils down to your preference and ability to do it correctly.

I had spidertrax I scored off of CL or ebay or something like that. $200 for a set of 4 isnt bad at all.
B0nez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2013, 12:54 PM   #24573
sirhk100

Sure, technically and engineering wise, they're going to add more leverage on your suspension components and your scrub radius is going to be off. Now in the real world does it matter? Well, sure seems like Jeeps stuff is over engineered enough to hold up to HUGE tires compared to stock so I'm pretty sure moving a tire out that extra inch or two in the real world will most likely survive too. Just saying... Now if they're not tight, yeah, that's a problem... LOL

Curious, what wheels are you going to be running power? Factory offset or something different? Only asking cause if they're factory offset, think about how many people are running offsets to kick the wheels out an inch or more with absolutely zero issues, no difference there other then there's no spacer to come loose.

Unread 04-16-2013, 12:59 PM   #24574
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhk100 View Post
Sorry guys for talking ford designs here... LOL

Andy,

If you're going to do the D44 swap, verify that the radius arms are the same. I have no clue but just a detail you probably need to check. I don't know if the height of the beams are the same or different. If they're different it may not make the arms I have work...

As for the uptravel clearance. Does copycat's brackets lower the pivot point at all? Like 2"ish or so? If so, you'll most likely be fine with the up travel on that driver beam. If you haven't seen this thread check it and pay specific attention to dezertwifephoto and simon... It's the same guy posting under his wifes account occasionally in that thread. I believe he's dropped his pivots that 2" which allows him the MASSIVE travel he's got. That thing is a monster and really there's not a whole lot of secrets to it! I still would love to see a picture with his driver at full droop and pass at full bump though cause I swear he doesn't have the clearance he needs in the window!

http://www.dezertrangers.com/vb/gene...tm#post3290129

This is the same truck, I've always thought this was pretty gnarly for a 4wd prerunner/crawler type rig!
The brackets have 1.5" of drop. I'll look into if the radius arms will work or not but I am pretty sure that the same ones that they have for the Ranger are also marked for the full size Bronco.

Its so short ****s like me and you can still get in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ACR View Post
My issue was I couldn't get the balls centered. I had to use some extra force to get everything lined up right. It didn't take me long.

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
andy02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2013, 01:01 PM   #24575
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

My hesitation comes from a couple sources. My dad has never liked them, and being that he taught me most everything I know about cars and mechanical things, I value his opinion. I've heard of major issues with them, but cant remember where I heard them. May have been while working in the automotive service industry. In my opinion, I can see that the stress is planted on the studs on the cheap ones. I like the hub centric ones much better. At least with those, the weight is directed on the hub as it should be. in theory, if everything is tight, I can see there being very few issues. I have heard of the built in studs spinning in the spacer when trying to remove a tire. That creates a very real nightmare that I don't even want to think about trying to solve if it happens. Imagine that happening with a flat in the rock garden on rocky gap! You're EFFED! I haven't seen spacers in person, so cannot make a good assessment of how well the studs are installed. I know how I would build them if I were engineering them, but thats another story.
Unread 04-16-2013, 01:09 PM   #24576
sirhk100

Quote:
My hesitation comes from a couple sources. My dad has never liked them, and being that he taught me most everything I know about cars and mechanical things, I value his opinion.
Can't fault you on that one...

I thought I remembered Merrick's being hub centric.

Agreed, poopy if the bolt spins on you. Hadn't heard about that issue before. Seems legit enough for sure.

Another option, buy axles that are the width you want like we do in the go fast offroad world? Oh wait, nevermind...

Why is it that it's just assumed that in the go fast arena, 99% of the mods and parts you're making to your truck are completely custom and built to your requests and it's just common knowledge that nothing is going to fit right or work right out of the box. Yet in the jeep scene, everyone expects stuff to just fit right out of the box, be direct bolt in and be exactly what they want?

Not pointing this towards anyone but the width comment I made above just made me think of this. On my trucks, I just automatically assume I'm getting a custom axle built to my width and my specs. That's just the obvious very first choice. Yet in the jeep world, that's not an option. If it's not something you can order with a part number it's like it's not even an option. I wonder what that line of thought exists so differently between the two worlds... Like I said, not even remotely saying anything towards anyone but it's just funny cause I'd have ordered the axles to the width I wanted from the get go and spacers wouldn't have even been a thought, it's just how it is in my mind... Kinda funny how different that is.

For instance, I'm already looking at the rear of my expo wondering if i should go wider and the thought of spacers as a solution hadn't even once entered my mind. What entered my mind was I wonder what big bearing for 9" models out there exist that would be the width I wanted and if I screwed up already by dropping the money on the detroit. Then my next thought went to, wait, ford F150's have 8.8's in them, I wonder if they're 31 spline with the same center stuff. Could I have my 4.56 gears and detroit swapped over. I then go further of I wonder if any had disc brakes, how hard would it be to get back to a 5 x 4.5 lug pattern? All this is what went thru my mind last night looking at my expo widths. I just assume there's nothing quick and easy automatically like a spacer for some reason...

LOL and now with that said, crap!!! I kinda want to run wheel spacers in the rear but then I'd need to probably cut my fenders open more and rip apart the rear suspension again to cycle it to check. LOL (you see what just happened here? Damn you all!!!!)

Unread 04-16-2013, 01:28 PM   #24577
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

My problem with the width isn't from the axles...they're perfect. I just want to be able to use factory Moab wheels with the lift and 33" tires. It seems that when going to larger tires, clearance becomes and issue.
I checked into custom length axles when I was building my duster. Long story short, the model axle i wanted was rare for that body style, but common in a longer version. It was going to cost well over $1000 to have a longer axle shortened to the size I needed. I f I could find a factory one, it would be less than 500. I think the idea of custom, one-off parts scares people because of the implied additional cost. It's usually much less expensive to buy a production piece, than it is to get custom parts. Then again, we're talking mopar stuff vs ford or chevy. With mopar(dodge, jeep, etc) its already expensive, even for production stuff, let alone custom stuff. The machinists actually have to work at it to get the mopar splines and patterns, rather than just dial in the chevy or ford numbers(exaggeration, I know) Ask anyone who does stuff across manufacturers, and theyll tell you that mopar stuff is expensive comparatively, and unfortunately, jeep falls under that umbrella.
Unread 04-16-2013, 01:33 PM   #24578
ksturgio
1997 ZJ 

Kinda makes you wonder what life was like in the 30's when people were home building land speed racers for the salt flats. I bet you never heard "damn flathead intake won't bolt in I guess I'll swap the motor". It was more like, "intake won't fit hand me a torch".
I'm not trying to call anyone out here because I'm sure most of you are much more skilled mechanically then I am, it is just a shame that a generation ago normal people were almost always doing there own tune ups, home made lifts, home repair, etc. now we have people that call AAA if they get a flat because they can't change a tire.

That's why I have such a respect for my grandfather. He was a Plumber that was careful with his money and retired at 45. He is 74 now, has more money the. He will ever spend and last week I was at his place he was dropping the trans in his suburban because "it was shifting funny" and he was going to tear it apart to see what the matter was. I asked why he didn't take it to the shop and he says, "why I've got arms and legs and I'm not a jack ***.
ksturgio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2013, 01:44 PM   #24579
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Amateurs....

This is one of the worst irrigation hack jobs i have ever seen.

5 valves and an anti siphon on the most screwed up "manifold" i have ever seen built, in 7 years of this crap.

Also, do y'all realize this **** is INSIDE the house?

Main line going in, conduit for the contro lwire going in, then 6 freakin 3/4" lines (one was converted to 1", yay pressure loss)

choppy choppy

not to mention there was a large leak under the concrete but we bypassed that.

I'll post pics of when it's all replaced. sketch tastic!

Quote:
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else!
Well I figured it up and over a period of time, This four thousand dollar car of mine, Cost fourteen thousand dollars And ninety-nine cents, well now!
- Jerry Reed

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2013, 01:47 PM   #24580
Garza
Vendor

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Oh, I forgot about that thing... It's been a while since I focused on it. The grocery getting SUV I have has a round thingy but it sits in the sideyard. Never really knew where it was supposed to go.
Keep running the Generals and you'll get real familiar with spares Sorry had to say it.

I have run rear wheel spacers on several different rigs for years, everything from V8 rigs with 40-42" tires, and currently run wheel spacers in the rear of my Jeep. It's actually really simple, buy quality ones and pay attention to them. My rear wheel spacers were initially torqued back in November of last year. I check them after any "hard" run. To this day they are as solid as they were when we 1st did them. Now my lug nuts need re-torqueing fairly often. So by that logic, if you are too lazy to check lug torque after hard wheeling, then no wheel spacer are not for you.

I have run them to gain width, and to reduce width......(dually hubs/hummer beadlocks). Only reason I have them now is because a used HP Dynatrac 60 housing with brand new R&P, custom alloy shafts, new ARB was only 2K and the housing was originally built for stock TJ width.......you think I was going to pass on that deal for fear of wheel spacers... we tried to make it work, but outboarding the shocks made that not possible.
Garza is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2013, 01:48 PM   #24581
sirhk100

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksturgio View Post
Kinda makes you wonder what life was like in the 30's when people were home building land speed racers for the salt flats. I bet you never heard "damn flathead intake won't bolt in I guess I'll swap the motor". It was more like, "intake won't fit hand me a torch".
I'm not trying to call anyone out here because I'm sure most of you are much more skilled mechanically then I am, it is just a shame that a generation ago normal people were almost always doing there own tune ups, home made lifts, home repair, etc. now we have people that call AAA if they get a flat because they can't change a tire.

That's why I have such a respect for my grandfather. He was a Plumber that was careful with his money and retired at 45. He is 74 now, has more money the. He will ever spend and last week I was at his place he was dropping the trans in his suburban because "it was shifting funny" and he was going to tear it apart to see what the matter was. I asked why he didn't take it to the shop and he says, "why I've got arms and legs and I'm not a jack ***.
Have you been to bonneville during speed week? It's still the same up there, the things you see and the way you see people doing it is absolutely badass!!!

Trust me I grew up around the DIY types, my parents, my friends, etc... It's pretty much why I'm the way I am probably. I just assumed all jeep guys were like me and my friends growing up and when stuff broke or didn't fit right the first thing we did was figure out how to fix it. Now the first thing you do is call and complain to the manufacturer. I started loosing a bit of respect at my last company and now here at this bling company I've fully lost it for the most part. Then again, our customer base isn't the DIY type. If they have to drill a hole they won't buy our parts so I have to figure out how to make things stick and clip in place rather then bolting them on like they really should be.

Me, I just know if I'm modifying and trying to build a vehicle to do things it was never meant to do, I'm expecting to have to tailor it to my needs and make it my way, not just buy a list of stuff out of a catalog. I did it with my jeep, I didn't like the drivetrain situation, solution, swap transmissions... LOL

Unread 04-16-2013, 01:52 PM   #24582
sirhk100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garza View Post
Keep running the Generals and you'll get real familiar with spares Sorry had to say it.
Talk to Greg Hempel about his experience with generals on his trophy truck, 7 open truck, 3100 class truck, his prerunner, chase trucks and entire fleet of trucks at both his Vegas and San Diego location. As of November he still had NEVER had a flat on ANY of them. Here's his contact... He's the owner.

http://www.getpipe.com/

Sorry, had to say it...

Pretty sure I have a flat BFG, Flat nitto and a flat general at my house. Still don't know the cause of the BFG or Nitto, the General was obvious and I'm pretty sure we'd all agree it would've probably happened to any brand of tire.

Unread 04-16-2013, 01:52 PM   #24583
Puck81
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post
Amateurs....

This is one of the worst irrigation hack jobs i have ever seen.

5 valves and an anti siphon on the most screwed up "manifold" i have ever seen built, in 7 years of this crap.

Also, do y'all realize this **** is INSIDE the house?

Main line going in, conduit for the contro lwire going in, then 6 freakin 3/4" lines (one was converted to 1", yay pressure loss)

choppy choppy

not to mention there was a large leak under the concrete but we bypassed that.

I'll post pics of when it's all replaced. sketch tastic!
That looks like some **** i found a year or so ago behind a hot water heater. It was leaking, and i got it denied by their home warranty. They asked me how much to replace it all, i was like $3500. I was ask to leave at that moment.

Sent from my Imagination
Puck81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2013, 01:58 PM   #24584
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
My hesitation comes from a couple sources. My dad has never liked them, and being that he taught me most everything I know about cars and mechanical things, I value his opinion.
Can't really fault you for that but things can and do change. My dad and I don't see eye to eye on much when it comes to cars but my experience with them has been different than his was.

Quote:
I have heard of the built in studs spinning in the spacer when trying to remove a tire. That creates a very real nightmare that I don't even want to think about trying to solve if it happens. Imagine that happening with a flat in the rock garden on rocky gap! You're EFFED! I haven't seen spacers in person, so cannot make a good assessment of how well the studs are installed. I know how I would build them if I were engineering them, but thats another story.
Are you saying that it couldn't also happen with your factory studs? Anything is possible. If it were to happen to me in the rock garden on Potato, I wouldn't bother with changing the tire. I would plug it and go from there. We aren't talking Baja or even the HDRA 250. We are talking a relatively low speed (then again, maybe you should change the tire speed racer) offroad trail. If it goes flat before you get done with the trail, no big deal. Pump the bish back up and go. I ran half way into burro wash and all the way back out with a 3-4 inch gash in a sidewall. Sewed it back together with bailing wire and filled the gaps with plugs. I wouldn't want to drive home that way but it worked for a temp fix to get me off the trail.

Its so short ****s like me and you can still get in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ACR View Post
My issue was I couldn't get the balls centered. I had to use some extra force to get everything lined up right. It didn't take me long.

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
andy02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2013, 01:58 PM   #24585
Garza
Vendor

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Talk to Greg Hempel about his experience with generals on his trophy truck, 7 open truck, 3100 class truck, his prerunner, chase trucks and entire fleet of trucks at both his Vegas and San Diego location. As of November he still had NEVER had a flat on ANY of them. Here's his contact... He's the owner.

http://www.getpipe.com/

Sorry, had to say it...

Pretty sure I have a flat BFG, Flat nitto and a flat general at my house. Still don't know the cause of the BFG or Nitto, the General was obvious and I'm pretty sure we'd all agree it would've probably happened to any brand of tire.
I don't have to ask anyone, I saw Jason's race

I see the chase trucks by my office all the time. How's his neck?
Garza is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.