Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread - Page 1632 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Artec Holiday Sale!

Unread 04-13-2013, 11:39 PM   #24466
Raptor0206
1985 CJ7 

Are these really worth the price?
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst...742204928.html

Raptor0206 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2013, 12:21 AM   #24467
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

So I woke up early this morning all excited to start working on the axle swaps. Set up the GoPro on the front fender of the Jeep(wanted to get video of speed from point to point before and after, just to see how much difference there is) Hopped in the Jeep, turned the key to nothing. no beeps, buzzers, lights, clicks...NOTHING! Crap! so I roll down the driveway thinking I'll just pop start it. NOTHING! So I jump start it, and do my thing. Pull it into the garage and get to work. Parts are flying off, bolts are turning, components are pulling right off. Awesome! Turdy five out in the driveway, and new giant D44 under the Jeep! Things are really rolling. Upper control arms check! Lower control arms, check! A little back talking from the Jeep getting the track bar in, but it was difficult last time. Ok, time for the brakes. Whoah, the factory breather bolt wont fit. Crap! Off to "VatoZone"(thanks marn) and ask the clerk if they have axle breather parts or brake fittings. I get the standard "year, make, model" questions. I tell them it wont matter, and they look at me like I'm in there asking for blinker fluid! I explain the situation, and the D-bagg cont behind the counter says they have all that stuff behind the counter, but it would be a needle in a haystack trying to find it in their bins. I just look at her and say "Wow, thanks for the help!" off to mcfadden-dale, they're closed! Off to 4wp, they send me to Napa, they dont have anything, so I go to the pep-boys "performance shop" and they at least had the breather fitting, but nothing that would work right. Now I'm pished off! Oh, and the parking brake cable is different, but that becomes important later. Get home and decide to just keep on going. Start on the front. Again parts are flying off the TURDY in the front. everything came off with no issues, and the D44 went underneath like a glove. It's huge in there! Upper control arms, check! Lower control arms, check! Springs, check! Ball joints, Check! Alright, this one's going to go in flawlessly, about time! Get everything tightened down and go to insert the driveshaft. Uh-oh, it wont compress enough to go into the yoke! Crap! Since the first issues with the brakes, I had been getting tech info from Garza(thanks by the way) I didn't even think about a larger axle being bigger! rofl! Uhhh, its a larger yoke, so it will be longer(essentially Garza's answer) I dont know why it didnt register in my mind that a bigger axle would actually be bigger! So then, out comes the front driveshaft! I'm driving this ish TONIGHT!!! Get it all back together, fill the diffs with oil(VERY, VERY important step not to be forgotten), and get the rear brakes hooked up and bled(still no parking brake) Move the jack and tools out of the way, hop in to take off on the maiden voyage, and "CLICK!" GODD@MM!T! Roll down the driveway, and can't pop it. Jump it again, and off I go. Cruising around the neighborhood, as casually as I can, because I really want to just MASH the gas, but the gears aren't broken in yet. I get about a 1/4 mile from the house, and after shifting to second, hear a pop from the front(I think its the track bar, I've heard it before on rocky gap) I then decide a day's a day, and drive it to the house and up into the garage. It is slightly slanted(of course) so I have to creep into the spot so I dont hit my benches, but leave room to close the door behind me. I basically shut it down as I let the clutch out making it slightly lurch forward just perfectly to fit, and not hit anything. I even remembered to not pull on the parking brake handle! lol Overall, it went smoothly, but I do have a few things I need to address, but I can drive it in an emergency. Time to get moving on a lift so I can be 4WD again! lol. I've got enough to do to keep me busy on it for at least a couple weeks though. Thanks again for letting me bug you Garza.
Unread 04-14-2013, 12:32 AM   #24468
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Ask for a breather bolt for a 2003 Rubicon. If that doesn't work, then a breather bolt from a 2007 Rubicon. One of those should work.

Its so short ****s like me and you can still get in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ACR View Post
My issue was I couldn't get the balls centered. I had to use some extra force to get everything lined up right. It didn't take me long.

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
andy02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2013, 12:41 AM   #24469
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor0206
Depends on what you are planning to do with the Jeep. The reason for reservoir shocks is better cooling capability. If you aren't driving the Jeep hard enough to get the shocks that are on it hot, then no. If you are getting the shocks that are on it hot and you are willing to put in the work to valve them correctly than the price isn't too bad although I would try to talk him down $150 or so.

Quote:
My issue was I couldn't get the balls centered. I had to use some extra force to get everything lined up right. It didn't take me long.

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
Unread 04-14-2013, 01:00 AM   #24470
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy02

Depends on what you are planning to do with the Jeep. The reason for reservoir shocks is better cooling capability. If you aren't driving the Jeep hard enough to get the shocks that are on it hot, then no. If you are getting the shocks that are on it hot and you are willing to put in the work to valve them correctly than the price isn't too bad although I would try to talk him down $150 or so.
A washboard road will do that! Think Mormon wells.
Unread 04-14-2013, 01:22 AM   #24471
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powrjunkey

A washboard road will do that! Think Mormon wells.
True, but how often are you doing Mormon Wells? I have done it once since I have been back and won't be doing it again anytime soon. That is by far the worst trail that I have been on in the area. Secondly, if YOU slowed down just a little bit, your shocks wouldn't get near as hot. When I did it, i lead because I was the slowest. My shocks got no hotter than usual. I could hold my hands on them no problem. There is no reason a Jeep should be doing 40+ MPH on that trail. Slow down, enjoy life.

I am not saying that they aren't useful. I could see Garza using them but for 90% of the Jeeps on this site, they are overkill.

Quote:

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
Unread 04-14-2013, 01:40 AM   #24472
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy02

True, but...if YOU slowed down just a little bit...
Does not compute! DANGER! System overload! Does not compute....roflma
Unread 04-14-2013, 01:42 AM   #24473
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I may just be tired, but I didn't really notice much difference with the new gears...I'll probably notice it more as I drive it more.
Unread 04-14-2013, 02:04 AM   #24474
Grand_ZJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Where are the pics of the axles installed powr?
Unread 04-14-2013, 02:10 AM   #24475
sirhk100

I am not worthy!!!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/TPF-Racing/255393361194429
sirhk100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2013, 02:16 AM   #24476
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhk100
That was pretty much what awesome looks like.

Quote:

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
Unread 04-14-2013, 02:51 AM   #24477
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand_ZJ
Where are the pics of the axles installed powr?
Coming later, I'm tired. I'll snap some tomorrow.
Unread 04-14-2013, 03:04 AM   #24478
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhk100
THAT was sick! At the bottom she was like, "I'm ok, truck is ok, ok let's go!"
Unread 04-14-2013, 03:07 AM   #24479
Garza
Vendor

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Your e-brake cables will be on the way next week.

Man I'm pooped, just got home from a Nelson night run....'twas a blast!
Garza is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2013, 03:12 AM   #24480
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/04/14...-nc-homeowner/

This needs to happen more often to stop these sort of crimes!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.