Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread - Page 1629 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaBilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and CJeep Wrangler Complete Gear Upgrade Kits with Installs and

Unread 04-12-2013, 07:40 PM   #24421
Grand_ZJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Question guys...

What would cause an engine to smoje while revving it??

I just noticed while in a parking lot I stabbed the throttle to hear my V8 and I saw a puff of white (maybe white) smoke come out the tail. So I had the wife stab it again for me and it comes out every time.

I had the heads rebuilt a couple years ago and I had 170-180 compression in all cylinders except for cylinder 1 which was 0. I have 225k on the motor.

Unread 04-12-2013, 07:47 PM   #24422
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

No compression on cylinder 1? Not good! Does it have a noticeable miss?
Unread 04-12-2013, 07:49 PM   #24423
PhotoJared
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Was the smoke coming out on the revv or on the decel of the motor?

Posted from outer space.
other stuff
PhotoJared is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2013, 07:49 PM   #24424
ksturgio
1997 ZJ 

White is water which isn't good. No compression also not good. Sounds to me like head gasket failure on cylinder 1. This is where it can get crappy, if you had the heads rebuilt and installed not to long ago you could have a warped head.
ksturgio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2013, 08:04 PM   #24425
Grand_ZJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

No no no guys when I bought this jeep back in 2010 up in Seattle. I blew the engine (same day) so to say. So I had the heads machined and re done up at a machine shop and some other work done to it.

At the shop back in Seattle he did a compression test and only #1 was at 0 all the rest were at 170-180 which are phenomenal numbers.
Unread 04-12-2013, 08:07 PM   #24426
Grand_ZJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Im downloading a video to photobucket I took from my phone not 10 minutes ago to show you all what im talking about.

And Jared the smoke is coming out on the acceleration.

I did a block test on my jeep at work about a month ago for ****s and giggles and it passed.
Unread 04-12-2013, 08:08 PM   #24427
Raptor0206
1985 CJ7 

check the compression now. also look at the plugs when you take them out, they are a good sign of problems inside that cylinder. sounds like you have a bad head gasket or crack somewhere. Do you loose coolant or oil?
Raptor0206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2013, 08:19 PM   #24428
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy02

After you look at his, maybe you can swing by and give me a suggestion for replacing the two plants in my front yard that died as well as how to set my sprinkler so that the next two don't? Basically, whoever did the landscaping at my house was a cheapskate and didn't do it correctly. They went straight over the grass in the backyard with barrier crap and left the sprinklers back there running. Now, I can't figure out how to isolate those so I have grass growing up in nice lines around the rocks. To keep the grass from growing, I just shut off the sprinklers completely and killed the two plants in the front yard and the grass still grows!
Def. I should set up a jeepforum yard work day and I can come see everybody on a Saturday or something

Quote:
Well I figured it up and over a period of time, This four thousand dollar car of mine, Cost fourteen thousand dollars And ninety-nine cents, well now! - Jerry Reed

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2013, 08:20 PM   #24429
ksturgio
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor0206
check the compression now. Also look at the plugs when you take them out, they are a good sign of problems inside that cylinder. Sounds like you have a bad head gasket or crack somewhere. Do you loose coolant or oil?
x2
ksturgio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2013, 08:20 PM   #24430
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceball
Nice raised bed Marn! I made a couple like that last year, and ran a grid of soaker hose in it, with a shut off valve for the winter. Seams to work good. And a cheesy chicken wire cage around them so the cats don't sheet in it.

Tomatoes, strawberries, peppers, herbs, yum yum!

Oh and for $600 can you make my new California transplant neighbors stop complaining about when the wind blows that my sumac trees' leaves/seeds will fall into their yard?
You get the FRIEND discount and the FSJ discount so it's only $550

Quote:
Well I figured it up and over a period of time, This four thousand dollar car of mine, Cost fourteen thousand dollars And ninety-nine cents, well now! - Jerry Reed

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Unread 04-12-2013, 08:22 PM   #24431
gregaf3
2013 JK Wrangler 

I am just wondering what shop would give it back to you with no compression in one of the cylinders. But it could be valve seals, rings, or head gasket. I have heard that sea foam works good at fixing some of you symptoms
Unread 04-12-2013, 08:22 PM   #24432
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand_ZJ
No no no guys when I bought this jeep back in 2010 up in Seattle. I blew the engine (same day) so to say. So I had the heads machined and re done up at a machine shop and some other work done to it.

At the shop back in Seattle he did a compression test and only #1 was at 0 all the rest were at 170-180 which are phenomenal numbers.
Lol. 7 of them can be perfect or phenomenal or amazing or fantastic compression but If one is them is zero then you have a fairly significant problem lol

Quote:

Unread 04-12-2013, 08:30 PM   #24433
B0nez
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy02

The factory lockers are kind of repairable, depends on what breaks. The question is, why would you? The biggest issue I have heard of is either the diaphragm tearing (this is expensive to fix because to replace the diaphargm you are basically replacing the entire damn thing) or the limited slip going shooting little pieces of metal all throughout the diff. Neither is a good thing. In the long run, it is usually cheaper to just replace the locker with something better. There are two ways to make them last as long as possible. First, lock it up as soon as you put the Jeep in 4WD (if you haven't done the 4Lo bypass, you should) as it is much stronger as a spool than a limited slip and that will help to keep the LS together. Second is to be cognizant of the rear diff when doing fluid changes. The easiest way to destroy the diaphragm is to overtighten the fill plug. If you do, the fill plug actually hits one of the pieces that the diaphragm attaches to and tears the diaphragm in the process. I tighten finger tight and then no more than a quarter turn past that. Also, when you pull the diff cover off make sure that the little piece of metal on the diff cover that is supposed to prevent you from over tightening is straight.
Thanks for the info, good to know! Already have the 4LO bypass, so I am good there. Not sure about the diff fill plugs though since I have aftermarket covers with a fill and a drain so it might not be an issue for me in that sense. Either way, good to know & thanks.
B0nez is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2013, 08:48 PM   #24434
Raptor0206
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregaf3 View Post
I am just wondering what shop would give it back to you with no compression in one of the cylinders. But it could be valve seals, rings, or head gasket. I have heard that sea foam works good at fixing some of you symptoms
I think that was the reading before the head work
Raptor0206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2013, 08:53 PM   #24435
Grand_ZJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor0206 View Post
check the compression now. also look at the plugs when you take them out, they are a good sign of problems inside that cylinder. sounds like you have a bad head gasket or crack somewhere. Do you loose coolant or oil?
I did a block test about a month ago and I Passed which indicates no blown head gasket.

I do lose coolant and oil actually lol the leak is at the top where the upper hose and t-stat housing are. I pressure tested my jeep at work this week and my upper house actually has a small leak in it that I never saw lol.

Oil leak is somewhere. I know there is oil in my intake manifold which is probably my plenum gasket and my RMS looks to be leaking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregaf3 View Post
The shop gave the vehicle back a perfect runner... 3 years ago lol

My mechanic at work says it might be my valve seals leaking. He says those are easy to replace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post
Lol. 7 of them can be perfect or phenomenal or amazing or fantastic compression but If one is them is zero then you have a fairly significant problem lol
Oh yeah I know I was just surprised at how good the compression was for a 12 year old jeep with over 200k on the clock.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.