Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread - Page 1628 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 04-12-2013, 04:25 PM   #24406
B0nez
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck81

Any issues with them at all? They a Japanese made if i recall, and if they do have issues will you rebuld them or upgrade to ARB?

Sent from my Imagination
No issues at all. They are my first air lockers so I really don't know if they are repairable / rebuildable. As stated earlier, if I have to replace I would STRONGLY consider OX lockers. They are strong, reliable and manually activated/deactivated in a pinch.

B0nez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2013, 04:28 PM   #24407
gregaf3
2013 JK Wrangler 

Not sure on the soil type, the dude that did my back yard said it was topsoil. When I planted it I used a mix of miracle grow tree soil and the soil that was there.
Unread 04-12-2013, 04:33 PM   #24408
B0nez
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregaf3
$600... how about I just tell you that I am going to buy something off of you, then never pick it up and not show up when you bring it out?

What is considered over watering? I have my drip system running 3 times a week for 8 minutes? I cannot remember what my GPM is, but each tree had two.
Well duh, I'm not even an edumuhkated ahhboreist and I can see the problem right there in your pic. Your tree is clearly getting too much water as indicated by the evidence it left laying right next to it! Your tree has a clear drinking problem, take away its bottles of water and you should be good.

There, fixed it. That'll be $5
Unread 04-12-2013, 04:35 PM   #24409
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregaf3 View Post
Not sure on the soil type, the dude that did my back yard said it was topsoil. When I planted it I used a mix of miracle grow tree soil and the soil that was there.
generally you do not want to mic much more than 5% organic matter into the soil.

You most likely have clay soil, if you get some wet and it feels like clay, its clay soil. Super highly compacted, fine particles have very little pore space.

This is what causes the water to runnoff rather than infiltrate then percolate down. Clay soils need slow low flow watering, or water applied in short intervals over fairly close time periods (water for 10 min, then water an hour later for 10 min, then an hour later).

By mixing in too much planter mix, you are changing the soil structure around the plan, but not in the soil outside the hole you dug. If water infiltrates clay soil very slowly, and you fill a hole with nice soft loose soil with a high infiltration rate...what happens when the water that soaked into the amended soil all fast leaches the edge of the hole? It cannot infiltrate the clay soils at nearly the same rate as you applied it, and sits in the hole, creating a perched water table and effectively drowning the plant.

Make sense?

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelc View Post
Having a Full Size Jeep is likehaving a hot wife. When you take her out in public it turns heads, they can insight jealousy, you could look at them all day, they require a lot of attention, cost a lot to get them to do what you want them to do, but when they're not happy you'll be cussing, throwing things, and constantly weighing how much you'll lose if you divorce her.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2013, 04:37 PM   #24410
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Also, he did not back fill your planter with top soil, that looks like fill dirt, type II, whatever. Topsoil is a mixture of landscape sand and mulch. Its black and stinky. Thats what would or should have been put down under the sod.

Also, planter mix is generally different than lawn mix when it comes to topsoil, but that doesnt really matter.

my garden is filled with topsoil, this is what topsoil looks like

image-798581080.jpg

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!

Quote:
Having a Full Size Jeep is likehaving a hot wife. When you take her out in public it turns heads, they can insight jealousy, you could look at them all day, they require a lot of attention, cost a lot to get them to do what you want them to do, but when they're not happy you'll be cussing, throwing things, and constantly weighing how much you'll lose if you divorce her.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Unread 04-12-2013, 04:48 PM   #24411
gregaf3
2013 JK Wrangler 

Well next time you are up in the northwest instead of checking out your buddy on the corner swing by my place. I want to do something with the front yard anyways but I am clueless when it comes to picking plants. Last week I actually pulled weeds and capped off a good 20 drippers.
Unread 04-12-2013, 04:51 PM   #24412
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Well next time you are up in the northwest instead of checking out your buddy on the corner swing by my place. I want to do something with the front yard anyways but I am clueless when it comes to picking plants. Last week I actually pulled weeds and capped off a good 20 drippers.
I'd be happy to take a look and make some suggestions, and diagnose your dead fruit tree problem.

Also, its entirely possible they died because of the heat. or because of the cold.

I dont know how long they hav been in the ground or when they died, etc.

Quote:

Unread 04-12-2013, 04:54 PM   #24413
gregaf3
2013 JK Wrangler 

I bought them in Feb before the wife left. Temps have not dipped below freezing since then. They did not have much of a root ball, it was mostly just a straight trunk with a few roots shooting out. That is buried about 2-3 inches under the soil. I pulled back the soil just now to make sure that it was not excessively deep
Unread 04-12-2013, 05:05 PM   #24414
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
I bought them in Feb before the wife left. Temps have not dipped below freezing since then. They did not have much of a root ball, it was mostly just a straight trunk with a few roots shooting out. That is buried about 2-3 inches under the soil. I pulled back the soil just now to make sure that it was not excessively deep
anything other than at the top of the surrounding soil, and exposed is "too deep"

The top of the soil thats inside the bucket when you buy the plant needs to be level with the top of the surrounding ground.

Quote:

Unread 04-12-2013, 05:23 PM   #24415
B0nez
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I have never been much for sports or video games, perhaps I need to re-think that: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Bb_w1oNLtNs
Unread 04-12-2013, 05:27 PM   #24416
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post
I'd be happy to take a look and make some suggestions, and diagnose your dead fruit tree problem.

Also, its entirely possible they died because of the heat. or because of the cold.

I dont know how long they hav been in the ground or when they died, etc.
After you look at his, maybe you can swing by and give me a suggestion for replacing the two plants in my front yard that died as well as how to set my sprinkler so that the next two don't? Basically, whoever did the landscaping at my house was a cheapskate and didn't do it correctly. They went straight over the grass in the backyard with barrier crap and left the sprinklers back there running. Now, I can't figure out how to isolate those so I have grass growing up in nice lines around the rocks. To keep the grass from growing, I just shut off the sprinklers completely and killed the two plants in the front yard and the grass still grows!

Its so short ****s like me and you can still get in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ACR View Post
My issue was I couldn't get the balls centered. I had to use some extra force to get everything lined up right. It didn't take me long.

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
andy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2013, 05:30 PM   #24417
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by B0nez View Post
I have never been much for sports or video games, perhaps I need to re-think that: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Bb_w1oNLtNs
Ninja edit... I saw it.

Edit: I want that game!

Quote:
My issue was I couldn't get the balls centered. I had to use some extra force to get everything lined up right. It didn't take me long.

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
Unread 04-12-2013, 05:44 PM   #24418
B0nez
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy02 View Post
Ninja edit... I saw it.
Yeah, I edited like 4 times trying to get it to embed instead of link. I fail at that.. cant figure it out for the life of me.
Unread 04-12-2013, 05:49 PM   #24419
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by B0nez View Post
No issues at all. They are my first air lockers so I really don't know if they are repairable / rebuildable. As stated earlier, if I have to replace I would STRONGLY consider OX lockers. They are strong, reliable and manually activated/deactivated in a pinch.
The factory lockers are kind of repairable, depends on what breaks. The question is, why would you? The biggest issue I have heard of is either the diaphragm tearing (this is expensive to fix because to replace the diaphargm you are basically replacing the entire damn thing) or the limited slip going shooting little pieces of metal all throughout the diff. Neither is a good thing. In the long run, it is usually cheaper to just replace the locker with something better. There are two ways to make them last as long as possible. First, lock it up as soon as you put the Jeep in 4WD (if you haven't done the 4Lo bypass, you should) as it is much stronger as a spool than a limited slip and that will help to keep the LS together. Second is to be cognizant of the rear diff when doing fluid changes. The easiest way to destroy the diaphragm is to overtighten the fill plug. If you do, the fill plug actually hits one of the pieces that the diaphragm attaches to and tears the diaphragm in the process. I tighten finger tight and then no more than a quarter turn past that. Also, when you pull the diff cover off make sure that the little piece of metal on the diff cover that is supposed to prevent you from over tightening is straight.

Quote:

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
Unread 04-12-2013, 06:38 PM   #24420
Spaceball

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post

my garden is filled with topsoil, this is what topsoil looks like
Nice raised bed Marn! I made a couple like that last year, and ran a grid of soaker hose in it, with a shut off valve for the winter. Seams to work good. And a cheesy chicken wire cage around them so the cats don't sheet in it.

Tomatoes, strawberries, peppers, herbs, yum yum!

Oh and for $600 can you make my new California transplant neighbors stop complaining about when the wind blows that my sumac trees' leaves/seeds will fall into their yard?
Spaceball is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.