Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

2M views 42K replies 144 participants last post by  terrasmak 
#1 ·
I figured since the other thread started out as talking about making a club, and what clubs are available, we should have a thread that's just dedicated to setting up trail runs.

The title says it all, and it'll be less cluttered.

So, the 9/18/10 Run to Potato Ridge was a success!

Next item on the schedule is Logandale on 10/23/10 according to McRoberts. Seems like we have a few interested parties! Who all is planning to attend?

If there is anything in the meantime, or someone local wants another rig to ride with them, just post up and see if anyone is available!

#32,184 ·
When I got home from work Saturday, I found out Dad had brought over his electrician friend and they installed a 220 outlet in my garage (score!) so I can use an air compressor I picked up a few months ago. I've been thinking about 2-3 different things I'd like to build if I had a welder, but haven't had a 220 outlet, now that I don't have that excuse anymore, I move on to the "I don't have a welder" excuse

Can anyone recommend a decent inexpensive arc welder for a beginner like me? I don't really want to mess with gas+wire if I don't have to, and would prefer to just use wire feed alone, but I really know nothing about all this. I figure if I know what to look for, I can keep an eye out for a deal.

#32,185 ·
Powrjunkey said:
5yds, 5rds, no time pressure...

7yds, 9rds, time pressure on torso, no time pressure on head shot. Made shots within time pressure!

I'm really improving! I really want that DG cert! Obviously, not all of my targets were this clean, but my consistency is getting there.
I was one shot away from DG last time. I had 2 shots low during the 15 yard test, because I didn't take my time. Buzzer went off way after I was done shooting. Dumb me!

Let me know next time you go. I assume you just took the skill builder? I want to.

#32,186 ·
When I got home from work Saturday, I found out Dad had brought over his electrician friend and they installed a 220 outlet in my garage (score!) so I can use an air compressor I picked up a few months ago. I've been thinking about 2-3 different things I'd like to build if I had a welder, but haven't had a 220 outlet, now that I don't have that excuse anymore, I move on to the "I don't have a welder" excuse

Can anyone recommend a decent inexpensive arc welder for a beginner like me? I don't really want to mess with gas+wire if I don't have to, and would prefer to just use wire feed alone, but I really know nothing about all this. I figure if I know what to look for, I can keep an eye out for a deal.
Wanna send that electrician friend over to my place? I need 220v in my garage. Arc welders can be had on CL for cheap. But to be honest a wire feed has a lot bigger range from sheet metal to thick steal. Plus its a lot cleaner.

#32,189 ·
Grand_ZJ said:
What does DG mean? And what is the purpose of having it??? Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
In most cases Distinguished Grad. In Powers case ****** guzzler. :D

Edit: really ****** is censored? ****** = female cleansing product.

#32,190 ·
Okay, so maybe I need to reconsider gas. I thought wire feed IS arc? I THINK a small Lincoln or Hobart wire feed welder would be ideal, based on what I have heard, but I really know noting about this stuff and I don't want to buy something that is gonna be over my head. I saw some on CL, but there is no way I can afford the thousands of $$$ being asked. I know Khris was throwing out some good recommendations a while back, I just can't seem to find 'em.

#32,191 ·
Okay, so maybe I need to reconsider gas. I thought wire feed IS arc? I THINK a small Lincoln or Hobart wire feed welder would be ideal, based on what I have heard, but I really know noting about this stuff and I don't want to buy something that is gonna be over my head. I saw some on CL, but there is no way I can afford the thousands of $$$ being asked. I know Khris was throwing out some good recommendations a while back, I just can't seem to find 'em.
I have a Hobart 187. Its small but welds on 220v. Got it on eBay for 400

#32,192 ·
Grand_ZJ said:
What does DG mean? And what is the purpose of having it???

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
At front sight you either don't pass, graduate, or distinguished graduate.

If you DG the course you are allowed to take the advanced courses for that type of weapon. If you have DG certs in pistol rifle and shotgun you can take the advanced 3 gun classes, yadda yadda

#32,193 ·
  • Hobart 190
  • Miller 180
  • miller 211 (awesome machine cause it can run 110 or 220.)
  • Lincoln 175/180 (I think the new ones can run 110 or 220 also)

They all should be able to run fluxcore wire but most if not all of those come with a set of gauges. All you'd need is the bottle itself and you're welding with gas then. I personally like having both options. In the garage 100% of the time I use gas. If I'm outside where it's breezy I can use the fluxcore without the gas and still weld. To change up between fluxcore and gas takes probably about 20 minutes. It's been so long since I've done it but I think I had to change out the liner real quick, change the power polarity, disconnect the gas solenoid and then just swap wires.

I'm 99% most modern day 220V welders will come with everything you need to run either and the only additional cost is the bottle. The MIG (gas) wire is cheaper then fluxcore though. I know I broke even and am now saving money running gas over fluxcore wire just by the cost savings on the wire alone. It paid for my bottle purchase ages ago. As long as you remember to turn the gas off when you're done the gas lasts quite a while assuming you have a reasonable sized bottle. Once you buy the bottle the first time, the gas is cheap considering how long it lasts.

SMOKING DEAL!!! If he still has it? If it comes with that stand and bottle too that's beyond smoking!!! That's pretty much the exact setup I've built my whole truck, the race truck, and every welding job I've done for anyone on this forum as well...

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/tls/4135226758.html

#32,196 ·
My pup is sick :-(

He was wheezy when we brought him home but seemed more like allergies or something. Sneezed a bit. Saturday night he started hacking a lil. Sunday he had a little hacking session (4 or 5 hacks) 4 or 5 times, and then last night I woke up to him hacking a few times. Poor fella. Otherwise he's acting 100% normal.

Good thing we had his initial check up and stitches removal appointment scheduled for this afternoon.

#32,197 ·
My pup is sick :-(

He was wheezy when we brought him home but seemed more like allergies or something. Sneezed a bit. Saturday night he started hacking a lil. Sunday he had a little hacking session (4 or 5 hacks) 4 or 5 times, and then last night I woke up to him hacking a few times. Poor fella. Otherwise he's acting 100% normal.

Good thing we had his initial check up and stitches removal appointment scheduled for this afternoon.
Haha and you said that you don't want kids.

Stitches? Did he have his bean bags cut off?

#32,198 ·
Haha and you said that you don't want kids.

Stitches? Did he have his bean bags cut off?
Yup. They get the chop when they are brought into the SPCA.

?If it was a kid I'd let it ride a bit longer since they'll likely get better and can tell me whats wrong. i have no idea how dogs work, this could be something or it could be nothing.

#32,199 ·
Khris - thanks for the recommendations; I just got back from Vegas 4X4 where the same subject came up and they also strongly recommended using the Miller 211 (they have it in their shop) because it is so easy to use including the "automatic" setting. I will look into that lincon one too.

Marn - perhaps he has kennel cough (common for dogs in shelters)? Good plan to get it checked right away. I hope all turns out well.

On a good note; after a few minutes of poking around underneath my rig, LarryN @ Vegas4X4 nailed the problem with my death wobble, the trackbar mounting bolt was a tad too long so while it gave the appearance of being good and tight, it was running into the axle tube instead of completely tightening the trackbar down. A shorter bolt and a nice bumpy/curvy test drive later and all is well :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.