Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread - Page 1588 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-03-2013, 02:40 PM   #23806
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

270hp@5200 rpm, 320 ft/lbs@4000rpm for a 4.6 stroker long block, $3950. up to 35hp in a boosted 4.6 stroker, but its 5350 for the motor, and another ~4k for the charger. these are both complete bolt in engines. stock power is:174 HP @ 4,600 rpm; 225 ft lbs @ 2,700 rpm stock numbers arent very impressive, agreed. Again, ive never...wait, mostly never felt the need for more power. In the sand, it could benefit from 34 hundred more hp, but I effing hate the sand, and dont plan on much sand travel, if it can be avoided. It does fine in the rocks, and as can be seen in my illicit picture, will go fast enough on the freeway. then again, once its regeared and on bigger tires, we'll see.

Unread 04-03-2013, 02:42 PM   #23807
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

the LS2 produces 300 horsepower (220 kW) to 345 horsepower (257 kW) and 360 lbfft (490 Nm) to 380 lbfft (520 Nm). quite impressive in a tj, but its a lot of work...
Unread 04-03-2013, 02:44 PM   #23808
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

If all the belt driven stuff will work with it, and you can keep the ac and have your gauges work, I stand corrected, and this seems like an awesome way to get a lot more power for ?$ and time involved. I'll stick with the 4L for now. KUDOS for the upgrade Garza! You will enjoy it, im sure.
Unread 04-03-2013, 02:47 PM   #23809
Garza
Vendor

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powrjunkey View Post
Wow, didnt realize thet the LS was actually lighter. Also after checking forced induction manufacturers websites and looking at their pics and power numbers, it looking more and more like a wash on many fronts. The accessibility in turbo/supercharging is about what a v8 is. they take up lots of room under the hood, and make it difficult to get to the oil filter. with the LS being lighter, its seeming like the better way to go! turbo and super charging makes only around 275 hp and around 300 ft/lbs. whats that LS making? the v8 swap is quite labor intensive and like dave said, the pcm and gauges present an issue if you use the factory gauge set. if you build a custom cluster and use autometer or other gauges, that problem gets solved. was the 4L ever offered in an aluminum block? It seems like we are all chasing that unicorn of "perfect for all occasions and driving conditions." IMO, its better to stay with factory components, and upgrade as needed. Easier to source parts and other components. I dont know what power numbers strokers are putting down...hold on research time.
My motor is 405hp/400ftlbs stock, if I decide to do a custom tune or cam, I could easily push a reliable 500+hp.
Garza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 02:49 PM   #23810
Garza
Vendor

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
the LS2 produces 300 horsepower (220 kW) to 345 horsepower (257 kW) and 360 lbfft (490 Nm) to 380 lbfft (520 Nm). quite impressive in a tj, but its a lot of work...
Not sure where you got those numbers but no LS2 was ever that low lol those are a regular 6.0 truck (cast block) engine numbers.
Garza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 02:52 PM   #23811
dmgiff
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Ok, so while trolling the forums, i came across a thread about the banks sidewinder turbo kits for the TJ. i think its still in concept, but was describing some impressive gains from close to idel up to redline. a lot of people talk about idle power, but after paying attention to how I wheel, i noticed that most of the time, I'm running between 1500-2700 rpm, which is right about perfect for turbo power bands. the cost though is quite retarded, at 3k and up to around 5k. dave, have you noticed any handling changes in your tj after the 5.2 install? garza, what kind of weight gain are you expecting with that LS? I keep coming back to that whole weight issue with a TJ and its already sketchy handling characteristics. the front springs, ball joints, and brakes take a lot of abuse with extra weight. especially because they were never designed for that added weight. plus, when you add a lot of front end weight, it changes the whole vehicle's balance for everything off camber and tilt front to rear. I like the idea of more power in less weight. I really like the idea of a turbo with light boost(no more than 7-10psi) but have also read that the added heat causes nightmares in cooling, especially where we live in the summer. I like the idea of keeping the 4 liter, because it retains the engine bay room, and stock components. I know we've had this discussion before, but I just keep coming back to thinking forced induction is the better way to go. as long as one stays with manageable boost numbers(less than ~12psi tops) i dont see why the motor wouldnt be able to handle it. a lot of people get into trouble with turbo, as well as nitrous because they taste the power and go overboard. sure a v-8 swap is sick cool, and many time cheaper, but its a lot of work, and is really tight in the engine bay, and you still have the heat issue. I have had only limited experience with turbo. i have a friend that had a VW corrado, and he removed the supercharger in place of a turbo. the turbo produced crazy power, and the lag wasnt as bad as a lot of people describe it. i drove it, and it was very smooth. I could see a jeep benefitting from a turbo better than a supercharger because of where I keep the rpm when I'm driving. especially after regearing, I can see the rpm staying up there even when rolling slowly in 4lo. opinions(actual, genuine, thoughtful ones) welcomed. Obviously, I wont be considering it for a while, but its on the list, as well as a 4.6 stroker. IMO, a 4.6 stroker with a good turbo kit would be ideally insane.
I don't think it's very tight in the engine bay for my swap. That was never really a consideration. I don't notice any negative handling characteristics but I redid my front suspension at the same time I did the swap. I am very happy with the rear suspension. The front is much better than it was, but not as good as the rear. The 5.2 is only twenty pounds heavier as I remember... I think it is 535 pounds, though I remember reading somewhere that it is 100 pounds heavier... can't say for sure. But very little of my suspension is stock and none of the geometry is stock.
dmgiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 03:00 PM   #23812
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

ha.

Quote:
Well I figured it up and over a period of time, This four thousand dollar car of mine, Cost fourteen thousand dollars And ninety-nine cents, well now! - Jerry Reed

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 03:56 PM   #23813
sirhk100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post
yeah but I'll also have the rear end opened up before too long as well...

2 axles, only 1 locker!

it'll be less beneficial in the front....but it'll be invisible any time i'm in 2wd.
Can't answer as I only have experience with rear only lockers. Soon to be both ends though. I've heard the front only makes a huge difference too. Either way you'll have a true 3 wheel drive instead of 2... LOL

http://www.facebook.com/pages/TPF-Racing/255393361194429
sirhk100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 03:57 PM   #23814
sirhk100

Power, if you want a motor for yours my buddy is selling his jeepspeed and will let the motor go seperate. Trust me, it won't disappoint you! Well, except that it's 100 octane built... LOL

Unread 04-03-2013, 04:15 PM   #23815
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

So, I worked on the truck that I posted pictures of before. I got it running reliably. It still has a bunch of electrical issues and I wasn't able to source a speedo gear for the damn thing. For now, GPS provides the speedo. Otherwise, the thing is a beast. The 383 stroker pulls hard and the transmission shifts firmly. Full throttle blasts make roasting tires an easy affair through all three gears.

Its so short ****s like me and you can still get in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ACR View Post
My issue was I couldn't get the balls centered. I had to use some extra force to get everything lined up right. It didn't take me long.

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
andy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 04:16 PM   #23816
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Side note: just realized that I am no longer a premium member. Oh well.

Its so short ****s like me and you can still get in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ACR View Post
My issue was I couldn't get the balls centered. I had to use some extra force to get everything lined up right. It didn't take me long.

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
andy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 04:26 PM   #23817
sirhk100

That truck looked sweet in the pictures for sure!

Tonight's plans... Hoping an issue I ran into last night cycling my front end on the expo will be solvable... Anything beyond that will just be icing on the cake! Overall the whole expo build so far has been relatively problem free for the most part. What I ran into at the very end of last night and left for today could be a decent hiccup if it doesn't work out in my favor easily.

Unread 04-03-2013, 04:29 PM   #23818
xrunndonex
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy02 View Post

I have had two 12oz bottles and a 2 liter decanter today. Basically, been drinking water like a fish. Still didn't have to pee the entire trip home. LOL
Gatorade it hydrates you better then water.. Always gets rid of mine.
xrunndonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 04:38 PM   #23819
MMCKEIG
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy02 View Post
Side note: just realized that I am no longer a premium member. Oh well.
There is no benefit to being a premium member with the new ownership. They haven't done a giveaway in at least 6 months.
MMCKEIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 04:40 PM   #23820
adams1985cj
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMCKEIG

There is no benefit to being a premium member with the new ownership. They haven't done a giveaway in at least 6 months.
Agreed I let mine go as well

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.