Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread - Page 158 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

Save at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer PurchaseFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 12-06-2011, 11:34 PM   #2356
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powrjunkey View Post
Dying to know if it's true about a-10's- if they fire the nose gun for too long, does it actually cause the aircraft to climb? That plane is awesome, one of my favs, behind the f-4(it's sexy)
It won't climb from the gun being fired for to long, but firing the gun for to long will cause a stall. Most people seem to think that it stalls because the gun slows the plane to much. If the plane were flying straight and level it could but no pilot would do that. Hence the reason you always see A-10's in a shallow dive when firing. Instead, the stall comes from the gun gas starving the engines for air. In an attempt to keep it from happening, slats were put on the leading edge between the wheel pods and the fuselage. Unlike most aircraft, the pilot has no direct control over the slats. They deploy automatically when either the gun is fired or when the angle of attack on the wings is high (ie pulling out of a dive) in which case the wings themselves block airflow into the engines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouStupidBunny View Post
Welcome back, Andy. Do you know what side of town you'll be in yet?
I'll probably be living on the northside. I think I am going to look for a place up near 95 and 215. What is the rental market like around Vegas right now if anybody knows?

Its so short ****s like me and you can still get in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ACR View Post
My issue was I couldn't get the balls centered. I had to use some extra force to get everything lined up right. It didn't take me long.

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
andy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2011, 12:13 AM   #2357
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for clarifying that. In any case its crazy sick awesome. There's enough spent gas from the gun to suffocate the engines! I want one
Unread 12-07-2011, 06:27 AM   #2358
Spaceball

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
What the heck is this? I was thinking it might be a dog, but the neck was really long and that rib cage much larger than I'd expect from a dog. Almost looks like a hyena, but out here? At the bottom of a mine? It still looks juicy, but it's mummified.
Chupacabra?
Spaceball is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2011, 08:31 AM   #2359
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy02 View Post
It won't climb from the gun being fired for to long, but firing the gun for to long will cause a stall. Most people seem to think that it stalls because the gun slows the plane to much. If the plane were flying straight and level it could but no pilot would do that. Hence the reason you always see A-10's in a shallow dive when firing. Instead, the stall comes from the gun gas starving the engines for air. In an attempt to keep it from happening, slats were put on the leading edge between the wheel pods and the fuselage. Unlike most aircraft, the pilot has no direct control over the slats. They deploy automatically when either the gun is fired or when the angle of attack on the wings is high (ie pulling out of a dive) in which case the wings themselves block airflow into the engines.

I'll probably be living on the northside. I think I am going to look for a place up near 95 and 215. What is the rental market like around Vegas right now if anybody knows?
We live at Durango and Elkhorn(95 and 215) and pay 1025 for a 2 story 3 bed, 2 bath, and 2 car garage. There are some really nice places up the road with big lots and more of a piece of mind. I would like to live farther out but we were in a crunch for time when we were looking to rent. The problem with the inexpensive rent even though these are nice houses is that it attracts ghetto people. Some of these places are so desperate that they will take a section 8. All you need is one of those in your neighborhood to cause problems like drug dealing, robberies, domestic violence, and loud rap music played at all hours. It would be a good idea to go to the place you are interested in renting at night and just sit and watch what happens. Even though our house is nice I am on a first name basis with the police around here because of one house.
PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2011, 10:27 AM   #2360
sirhk100

From the couple posts yesterday afternoon... Come Jan time frame once my family leaves and my life returns to average again if anyone needs minor welding jobs hit me up. I'm usually available in the evening to buzz something up if need be. Usually the fee is a 12 pack of mtn dew or bring the pizza or something like that! LOL

Anyone that really wants to learn to fab and weld I'll be doing a full cage in a race truck starting around Feb. I'm always looking for another set of hands or even someone to just hang out and BS in the garage.
sirhk100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2011, 12:00 PM   #2361
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsonlaw View Post
I'm so mysterious that you might not believe it. In fact, my mysteriousness is so intense it has certain safety and security issues related to it.
I smell a mob informant in the witness protection program.

Just so there won't be any hard feelings later, if any of you had a reward on your head, I'd turn you in.
YouStupidBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2011, 12:02 PM   #2362
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhk100 View Post
...I'll be doing a full cage in a race truck starting around Feb.
Saw the pictures of your truck. That's some beautiful work you do. If you aren't building custom vehicles for a living already, you really should.
Unread 12-07-2011, 12:07 PM   #2363
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceball View Post
Chupacabra?
That's the first thing the girls said when they saw the pictures.

I've been trying to research what it might be, but I'm having a hard time finding anything that matches. There are so many variations of dogs, it could be an odd combination of dogs.

I even thought maybe a young camel since they were used in our local desert when this area was first populated. Not a camel. Teeth didn't match.

The only thing that I found that closely matched it was a hyena. Teeth were similar. The longer neck matched as did the larger body and rib cage. In research I found that hyena's were in this area around 10,000 years ago. Around the same time as the mammoths. I don't think it's a hyena. If it were of that era, it would seem too well preserved.

I sent pictures of it to a few professors. Hopefully, one of them will get back to me with something definitive.
Unread 12-07-2011, 12:08 PM   #2364
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
Movin out the ghetto ain't gonna miss the gunfire. Movin out the ghetto ain't gonna miss the chopper. Sung to the tune of "peaches" by the presidents of the USA!
Where are you moving? Still near Henderson? That would be cool if you lived closer so I could just call you when I needed something.
Unread 12-07-2011, 12:58 PM   #2365
gregaf3
2013 JK Wrangler 

Andy,

we live up by Tee Pee and Elkhorn and it is not too bad, just privileged wanna be punks. The cool thing is they finished the Horse Dr overpass, so it makes getting on 95 way easier. The area is not the best, but it is way better than the other area's that we looked at. Not sure about the rent, when we got here it was going to be way cheaper for us to buy vs renting, esp with the current rates, and of course since then BAH has been cut, guess it is good to be grandfathered for now

Polka, cool too see that you live so close. If you ever want to go for a quick ride hit me up.
gregaf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2011, 01:21 PM   #2366
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregaf3 View Post
Andy,

we live up by Tee Pee and Elkhorn and it is not too bad, just privileged wanna be punks. The cool thing is they finished the Horse Dr overpass, so it makes getting on 95 way easier. The area is not the best, but it is way better than the other area's that we looked at. Not sure about the rent, when we got here it was going to be way cheaper for us to buy vs renting, esp with the current rates, and of course since then BAH has been cut, guess it is good to be grandfathered for now

Polka, cool too see that you live so close. If you ever want to go for a quick ride hit me up.
Will do. I have to work out some bugs first. Parts should be here any day.
Unread 12-07-2011, 01:30 PM   #2367
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Warm springs and bermuda
Unread 12-07-2011, 01:45 PM   #2368
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Warm springs and bermuda
What ever springs I go to usually gets a little warmer....
Unread 12-07-2011, 04:52 PM   #2369
sirhk100

Quote:
Saw the pictures of your truck. That's some beautiful work you do. If you aren't building custom vehicles for a living already, you really should.
Actually I do automotive design work. I sit at a computer and draw car bling mostly. We have a jeep line and I have another username on here but I don't use it much cause I don't want to spam the forums with my companies product line. LOL My jeep is a billboard for a lot of our offroad blinged out billet line! Our main bread and butter though is Classic Mustang reproduction parts. We're the biggest supplier of repop parts for old mustangs in the nation. LOL bet most of you didn't know that was going on here in Henderson!

I don't think I'd want to do fab work for a living. I like keeping it as a hobby. My stuff works but I think the pictures hide some of the ugliness. I've got friends that think I should open a shop too but it just doesn't go with really what I want to do 9-5. I think I'm on par with a lot of the fab shops around town though and my prices of mtn dew or pizza is much better!!! LOL It used to be beer but I never have friends over and I don't drink alone so I got sick of seeing beers in the fridge for months on end!
sirhk100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2011, 05:03 PM   #2370
davidsonlaw
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
That's the first thing the girls said when they saw the pictures.

I've been trying to research what it might be, but I'm having a hard time finding anything that matches. There are so many variations of dogs, it could be an odd combination of dogs.

I even thought maybe a young camel since they were used in our local desert when this area was first populated. Not a camel. Teeth didn't match.

The only thing that I found that closely matched it was a hyena. Teeth were similar. The longer neck matched as did the larger body and rib cage. In research I found that hyena's were in this area around 10,000 years ago. Around the same time as the mammoths. I don't think it's a hyena. If it were of that era, it would seem too well preserved.

I sent pictures of it to a few professors. Hopefully, one of them will get back to me with something definitive.
IF you were in a cave, you might find a mummified hyena, but I don't the miners would have just tunneled around it and left it in place.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.