Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread - Page 1517 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!

Unread 03-13-2013, 10:03 PM   #22741
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksturgio

I wouldn't think there would be much of a difference without an intake. And probably a tune. The trifecta of modern gas engines.
Really, I may be wrong, but I think the factory stuff is pretty efficient. Maybe in big displacement engines there is a noticeable change. I think in jeeps, unless there's a lot of internal work or forced induction, there's only minimal gains. We aren't drag racing, and the motors aren't built as such. It's all low end stuff, and pretty much any intake and exhaust will do at lower rpm ranges. I suppose some time in the future, an supercharger should be considered, but I've never felt the need for more. The TJ has done everything I've ask it to. I haven't been in a situation where I needed more torque or power(except racing people on the street)
:evil grin:
I'm sure I'll see modest gains on the trails and in mpg, but I wasn't expecting a tire frying change either. It does seen louder, but in a different way. It's more of an engine bay loud, not a general increase in sound, if that makes sense. The iron manifolds seemed to muffle the sound more than the header. There's more sound up front, and it's not an exhaust leak, just sound.

Unread 03-13-2013, 10:30 PM   #22742
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by B0nez

I thought you were gonna paint them the same tan color as your rig?
Nah, going factory

Quote:
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else!
Well I figured it up and over a period of time, This four thousand dollar car of mine, Cost fourteen thousand dollars And ninety-nine cents, well now!
- Jerry Reed

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2013, 10:30 PM   #22743
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhk100
Did you break a sweat with that hard work there marn?

!
Hey that was a decent amount of sanding!

Quote:
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else!
Well I figured it up and over a period of time, This four thousand dollar car of mine, Cost fourteen thousand dollars And ninety-nine cents, well now!
- Jerry Reed

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Unread 03-13-2013, 10:47 PM   #22744
adams1985cj
1985 CJ7 

Made a cover for the rear today. Got bored and I'm always worried about tools, straps, etc walking off. It doesn't lock but it does cover and you have to open the tail gate to get it off. Just a deterrent if someone wants ***** bad enough they are going to get it.

image-741474116.jpg
Unread 03-13-2013, 11:08 PM   #22745
gregaf3
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powrjunkey View Post
Really, I may be wrong, but I think the factory stuff is pretty efficient. Maybe in big displacement engines there is a noticeable change. I think in jeeps, unless there's a lot of internal work or forced induction, there's only minimal gains. We aren't drag racing, and the motors aren't built as such. It's all low end stuff, and pretty much any intake and exhaust will do at lower rpm ranges. I suppose some time in the future, an supercharger should be considered, but I've never felt the need for more. The TJ has done everything I've ask it to. I haven't been in a situation where I needed more torque or power(except racing people on the street)
:evil grin:
I'm sure I'll see modest gains on the trails and in mpg, but I wasn't expecting a tire frying change either. It does seen louder, but in a different way. It's more of an engine bay loud, not a general increase in sound, if that makes sense. The iron manifolds seemed to muffle the sound more than the header. There's more sound up front, and it's not an exhaust leak, just sound.

Factory parts are normally not the best at efficiency. The factory has to consider cost(both in building the part and assembly time), noise, longevity, and smog stuff. I can imagine that it is a constant fight between production, engineering (efficiency, HP, and noise), and the bean counters. Headers are generally way more expensive to produce and take way longer to install and unless you go with thick walled headers you have to worry about underhood heat and engine noise. Not only that but depending on the location of the spark plugs burning plug wires is always a pain in the ***.

Have you ever read the story about how much work a few engineers did over a couple of years just to get the Rubicon made?

As for noticing hp gains, I would say gains are more noticeable on a lower hp motor. You will notice a 10 hp gain in a 200hp vehicle way more than you would in a 300hp vehicle. With that said you have to look at the dyno sheet to tell the real story. I have seen chips that made 30hp down low but only increased the total hp number by 10hp.
Unread 03-13-2013, 11:20 PM   #22746
adams1985cj
1985 CJ7 

I installed a header on my CJ a few years back I couldn't tell a big difference personally. It looks cooler if that counts. Once I took ALL the emission junk out and went to a weber 38 carb I noticed a huge increase in power. I still think the electric fan was the single best upgrade I did that I noticed the most from being a lot quieter and a good noticeable power gain.
Unread 03-13-2013, 11:47 PM   #22747
gregaf3
2013 JK Wrangler 

Yep mechanical fans kill power big time.

Misspelled and auto corrected on my phone
Unread 03-14-2013, 12:16 AM   #22748
PhotoJared
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregaf3
Yep mechanical fans kill power big time.

Misspelled and auto corrected on my phone
I can't wait to order a triple fan kit for the XJ.

Posted from outer space.
other stuff
PhotoJared is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2013, 12:24 AM   #22749
adams1985cj
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoJared

I can't wait to order a triple fan kit for the XJ.

Posted from outer space.
I bought mine from these guys. Two years and running strong and quiet.

http://www.ffdynamics.com
Unread 03-14-2013, 01:48 AM   #22750
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Really can't even see the header under all the crap and intake! Just a little shiny here and there!
Unread 03-14-2013, 02:53 AM   #22751
4x4Brit
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor0206

I supported but found out you dont get much. After i did i noticed alot of the guys canceled theirs like power, 4x4brit, ect
Is there a reason for it or is it because of new owners?
Mine ran out and I couldn't find a reason to renew. The only minor inconvenience is the 20 pmsg limit and that is only because I'm lazy I'm sure the site makes plenty of money off of its sponsors.
4x4Brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2013, 06:04 AM   #22752
Spaceball

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post
painted two rims tonight, these are going to look NIIIIICE with the dig dishes.
Looks good Marn! Did they have a red stripe originally, or all white?
Spaceball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2013, 06:06 AM   #22753
Spaceball

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Adam, someone is selling your CJs twin! For 15K
http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/3679689711.html
Spaceball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2013, 07:45 AM   #22754
PhotoJared
1999 XJ Cherokee 

It also comes with an "overhead wench"

Posted from outer space.
other stuff
PhotoJared is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2013, 09:09 AM   #22755
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceball

Looks good Marn! Did they have a red stripe originally, or all white?
Thanks. I am pretty sure they were solid white, not like the wagon wheels

Quote:
- Jerry Reed

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.