Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread - Page 1491 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineWe have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplieJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wd

Unread 03-07-2013, 01:15 PM   #22351
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhk100 View Post
What happens if you're in a bind/emergency where you don't have the cash to cover it? Say for instance you're on a trip and your engine blows up in Montana or something?

I still don't see why the need to actually not have any credit card. Do you have zero self control when it comes to spending or something?

I have this thing called an emergency fund, coupled with the money i have in my checking account.

thats enough to cover any given normal emergency. If my engine exploded, i may not be able to replace it but i could get on a plane and come home, etc. At ant given moment i have a few thousand bucks cash at my disposal. I could buy a new putt-putt type car if I had to. Health is a different situation, which is why health insurance exists.

and no, i dont have the issue of zero self control, but the last time you need to get into more debt is when an 'emergency' comes along.

I get it, you're amazing with money you have never had debt or carried a credit card balance, but i'm not like that, and most americans are not like that. If i dont have a credit card, i cant use it, and i'll be forced to find some other solution. After ALLLL debt is paid off, the goal is to build a 6 month emergency fund, which will cover more or less anything health or life related that insurance wouldnt cover.

Illegitimi Non Carborundum

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2013, 01:19 PM   #22352
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Also, i wouldnt be driving a vehicle in montana that would be anywhere near likely to have the engine blow, not like i'd be taking the waggy up there.

and if it did, i could buy a re manufactured long block for like 1200 bucks and put it in, haha.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Unread 03-07-2013, 01:27 PM   #22353
gregaf3
2013 JK Wrangler 

saving money sucks. It seems like there are two extremes save everything then die young or spend everything and live to be 100. We just want to find ourselves in the middle somewhere.
Unread 03-07-2013, 01:32 PM   #22354
gregaf3
2013 JK Wrangler 

So what is everyone doing this weekend? My first official weekend having the kids by myself and I don't want to stay home and have them trash the house.
Unread 03-07-2013, 01:38 PM   #22355
ksturgio
1997 ZJ 

I'm busy all weekend this weekend. Hopefully some wrenching will work its way into my schedule. I've put off changing spark plugs about as long as I can stand. I'm just hoping it doesn't turn into an 8 hr job.
ksturgio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2013, 01:39 PM   #22356
dmgiff
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post
I have this thing called an emergency fund, coupled with the money i have in my checking account.

thats enough to cover any given normal emergency. If my engine exploded, i may not be able to replace it but i could get on a plane and come home, etc. At ant given moment i have a few thousand bucks cash at my disposal. I could buy a new putt-putt type car if I had to. Health is a different situation, which is why health insurance exists.

and no, i dont have the issue of zero self control, but the last time you need to get into more debt is when an 'emergency' comes along.

I get it, you're amazing with money you have never had debt or carried a credit card balance, but i'm not like that, and most americans are not like that. If i dont have a credit card, i cant use it, and i'll be forced to find some other solution. After ALLLL debt is paid off, the goal is to build a 6 month emergency fund, which will cover more or less anything health or life related that insurance wouldnt cover.
You a Dave Ramsey listener? I'm going to his appearance tonight at Canyon Ridge Christian Church. Two more reasons for not having a credit card: 1. A debit card will do everything a credit card will do and you have the same protection as a credit card. 2. Credit card companies are flat evil. They do not exist for convenience or to provide service to their customers. They exist solely to separate people from their hard-earned money. I used to think credit cards were fine if one has self control and uses them wisely. Then I saw some behind the scenes stuff as to how they operate and what their motivation is -- not to mention the havoc they cause when used unwisely. Not that anyone around here would ever use one unwisely....
dmgiff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2013, 01:47 PM   #22357
gregaf3
2013 JK Wrangler 

every business has a main goal to separate you from your money so banks and credit card companies are no different. Why do you think businesses spend so much money on research on everything from advertisements to product placement. If companies do not figure out how to get your money, then they are normally not open for that long.
Unread 03-07-2013, 01:48 PM   #22358
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmgiff View Post
You a Dave Ramsey listener? I'm going to his appearance tonight at Canyon Ridge Christian Church. Two more reasons for not having a credit card: 1. A debit card will do everything a credit card will do and you have the same protection as a credit card. 2. Credit card companies are flat evil. They do not exist for convenience or to provide service to their customers. They exist solely to separate people from their hard-earned money. I used to think credit cards were fine if one has self control and uses them wisely. Then I saw some behind the scenes stuff as to how they operate and what their motivation is -- not to mention the havoc they cause when used unwisely. Not that anyone around here would ever use one unwisely....
I'm a big dave ramsey guy! My boss and a few friends are seeing him tonight.

Unread 03-07-2013, 01:49 PM   #22359
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregaf3 View Post
So what is everyone doing this weekend? My first official weekend having the kids by myself and I don't want to stay home and have them trash the house.
Attempting to swap an axle under my jeep, all just too see if it'll work or not, and then taking it out again regardless of what happenss.

Unread 03-07-2013, 01:53 PM   #22360
sirhk100

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmgiff View Post
Credit card companies are flat evil. They do not exist for convenience or to provide service to their customers. They exist solely to separate people from their hard-earned money. I used to think credit cards were fine if one has self control and uses them wisely. Then I saw some behind the scenes stuff as to how they operate and what their motivation is -- not to mention the havoc they cause when used unwisely. Not that anyone around here would ever use one unwisely....
Feel free to elaborate cause you're talking to someone who's carried a balance on credit cards less times then the number of fingers I have on a hand and all of those times were paid off in a matter of a few months, 3-4 at most... Explain to me why they aren't just a matter of convenience or a simple financial tool when used responsibly? (those balances were 0% promotions too BTW and I made the purchase knowing to pay off before the interest rate kicked in.

Personally, I see all the credit card haters as people that don't have the discipline to live within their means and that's not the credit cards fault. You're blaming the gun and the spoon...

For instance, This month I'll owe $300 on my card roughly once the bill shows up. That's for plane tickets for a drinking trip I'm taking. I could've waited a week till payday and bought the tickets but instead I booked when I did at the same time my friend was booking her tickets rather then waiting the week. No biggie, I wrote the ticket amount as if cash paid right out of my check book that night and this month I'm living just as if I'm $275 poorer then I really am because that money is already set aside now to pay the bill when it shows up in the next couple days.

How is the credit card company screwing me over? Cause basically, that's exactly how I use my credit cards every single month. I've had a visa in my pocket since I was 18 and I've probably paid them less then $100 total in interest in that time. My cards have no annual fees either btw...

I personally like knowing that if I'm in a bind I've got $20K on hand with a two swipes to get me out of trouble on the spot. If I'm in baja on a sunday and injured and need a stateside medical flight for me or a friend, my card is getting swiped and we're heading to america for medical treatment. Insurance isn't going to cover that. Is that likely to happen? No, especially since it's been a long time since i've been south but in 2003 when I was racing down there I wouldn't have done it without that safety net.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/TPF-Racing/255393361194429
sirhk100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2013, 01:59 PM   #22361
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhk100 View Post
Feel free to elaborate cause you're talking to someone who's carried a balance on credit cards less times then the number of fingers I have on a hand and all of those times were paid off in a matter of a few months, 3-4 at most... Explain to me why they aren't just a matter of convenience or a simple financial tool when used responsibly? (those balances were 0% promotions too BTW and I made the purchase knowing to pay off before the interest rate kicked in.

Personally, I see all the credit card haters as people that don't have the discipline to live within their means and that's not the credit cards fault. You're blaming the gun and the spoon...

For instance, This month I'll owe $300 on my card roughly once the bill shows up. That's for plane tickets for a drinking trip I'm taking. I could've waited a week till payday and bought the tickets but instead I booked when I did at the same time my friend was booking her tickets rather then waiting the week. No biggie, I wrote the ticket amount as if cash paid right out of my check book that night and this month I'm living just as if I'm $275 poorer then I really am because that money is already set aside now to pay the bill when it shows up in the next couple days.

How is the credit card company screwing me over? Cause basically, that's exactly how I use my credit cards every single month. I've had a visa in my pocket since I was 18 and I've probably paid them less then $100 total in interest in that time. My cards have no annual fees either btw...
dude, we already covered this, you're a master of credit and money, and you are amazing.

so, if i have a self control issue with eating, should i just keep all the food and spoons around? If i have a drug dependancy issue, should i hang out with druggies and keep a stash in my house even though i'm trying to get clean?

Your mindset doesnt work for everybody, i've told y'all time and time again it's a control issue. I'm not disagreeing with that. However, i am alot less likely to have a lapse in judgement and do something dumb if i dont have a credit card. So i got rid of them, and i never ever plan to have one again because its unnessesary for my lifestyle, and i see no good coming of it.

Why ya gotta poke holes in it every time it gets brought up? Lol. I have never told you not to use your credit card, use it all you want. I have made my choice and i offer my reasoning for it, i'm not talking down to anybody or suggesting that they do any different than they are, not insulting anybody or saying im better. All i'm doing is saying what works for me.

Unread 03-07-2013, 02:01 PM   #22362
sirhk100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post
dude, we already covered this, you're a master of credit and money, and you are amazing.
Did you notice I didn't reply to you after your last post? that ENTIRE post you quoted was questioning what this evil hidden agenda that credit cards have going on that YOU didn't bring up cause in 17 years of using them I haven't seen it... I quoted and replied to giff...

http://www.facebook.com/pages/TPF-Racing/255393361194429
sirhk100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2013, 02:03 PM   #22363
Puck81
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

So, how about them Jeeps??

Sent from my Imagination
Puck81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2013, 02:04 PM   #22364
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck81 View Post
So, how about them Jeeps??

Sent from my Imagination
and tits?

Unread 03-07-2013, 02:06 PM   #22365
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

FYI if anybody is looking for small rifle and small pistol primers, they had some in stock at sportsmans warehouse.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.