Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread - Page 1485 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Reply
Unread 03-05-2013, 02:22 PM   #22261
ksturgio
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 2,827
I just don't see the payoff for a diesel over swapping a modern gas engine. I would much rather have an LS7 over a diesel for a wheeling rig.

ksturgio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2013, 02:27 PM   #22262
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer
 
Dr. Marneaus's Avatar
1973 FSJ Wagoneer 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 10,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksturgio View Post
I just don't see the payoff for a diesel over swapping a modern gas engine. I would much rather have an LS7 over a diesel for a wheeling rig.
i'll probably end up with a rebuilt stockish 360.

doubt i'll fuel inject it.

heck, i'd prefer to run points over electronic ignition. simple, oldschool, emp proof! just keep an extra set of points in the glove box.


but anyway, axles first (I'm pretty sure i'm going to have a set of D44's and rims and hub caps for sale in about a week, because my options are running out for alternatives on this project....swapping to 5 lug hubs will cost like $500 plus a regear for $300-400) then I can do the cosmetic stuff (headliner, front seat, and carpet) then maybe engine if this one is getting any worse or any more knocky
__________________
Andrew

Quote:
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else!
Well I figured it up and over a period of time, This four thousand dollar car of mine, Cost fourteen thousand dollars And ninety-nine cents, well now!
- Jerry Reed

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.

Dr. Marneaus is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2013, 02:33 PM   #22263
sirhk100
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 5,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post
Want to do all the fab work?
Talk to me in 2014.5 cause by then hopefully my expo and yota will be 100% done and I'll have had more then enough time to relax and enjoy them both!

Speaking of done... If things go well... I might be parking the race truck on the side of the house with the car cover on it by the end of this weekend and check it off my to do list until something else breaks on it down the road! Next planned trip out with it is the weekend of April 20th. Then possibly a quicky run early in May for a few hours. Then an afternoon session sometime this summer for some hot weather testing!

It'll be REALLY REALLY REALLY strange to see something else parked in the garage possibly next week!
__________________
Khris

http://www.facebook.com/pages/TPF-Racing/255393361194429
sirhk100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2013, 02:36 PM   #22264
andy02
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lost Wages, NV
Posts: 3,715
In the junk yards that you guys have visited, have any of you come across an F-150 or fullsize Bronco 4WD? I am looking for mid 80's-early 90's that still has a good front suspension.

Khris, thanks for the heads-up on those pivots. I'll be shooting him a PM as soon as I know how much I can afford to spend from this paycheck!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix
No one really knows the reason for LCOG Jeeps.

Its so short ****s like me and you can still get in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ACR View Post
My issue was I couldn't get the balls centered. I had to use some extra force to get everything lined up right. It didn't take me long.


September 11 2001
Never Forget!
andy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2013, 02:38 PM   #22265
andy02
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lost Wages, NV
Posts: 3,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhk100 View Post
Talk to me in 2014.5 cause by then hopefully my expo and yota will be 100% done and I'll have had more then enough time to relax and enjoy them both!
You forgot one. I am gonna be needing help!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix
No one really knows the reason for LCOG Jeeps.

Its so short ****s like me and you can still get in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ACR View Post
My issue was I couldn't get the balls centered. I had to use some extra force to get everything lined up right. It didn't take me long.


September 11 2001
Never Forget!
andy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2013, 02:40 PM   #22266
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer
 
Dr. Marneaus's Avatar
1973 FSJ Wagoneer 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 10,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhk100 View Post
Talk to me in 2014.5 cause by then hopefully my expo and yota will be 100% done and I'll have had more then enough time to relax and enjoy them both!

Speaking of done... If things go well... I might be parking the race truck on the side of the house with the car cover on it and check it off my to do list until something else breaks on it down the road! Next planned trip out with it is the weekend of April 20th. Then possibly a quicky run early in May for a few hours. Then an afternoon session sometime this summer for some hot weather testing!

It'll be REALLY REALLY REALLY strange to see something else parked in the garage possibly next week!
well then dont go encouraging me to do projects that require somebody with a skill set such as yours, haha
__________________
Andrew

Quote:
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else!
Well I figured it up and over a period of time, This four thousand dollar car of mine, Cost fourteen thousand dollars And ninety-nine cents, well now!
- Jerry Reed

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.

Dr. Marneaus is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2013, 02:41 PM   #22267
sirhk100
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 5,339
Whoops, this is for Andy,

LOL, yes!!!!!!!!! Like I said in that PM... I don't know the details cause I haven't read into it much, I just know it's an option that exists that I completely forgot about cause of the pathway I've come. With you starting from scratch though it might be a good way to go and end up both cheaper and stronger! If you PM him toss out my username as reference, he'll most likely recognize me and have more comfort in helping you out since your post count is low over there being new.

As for parts in yards, yes, I've seen a bunch of them in both pic-a-parts every time I've gone. They're very common to find. I'll bet you could pull the entire front suspension for a couple hundred bucks out of a yard and if those brackets are only a couple hundred... Then maybe another $250 for radius arm material. You're looking golden! I bet you could do the whole thing for under $750 not counting 3rd member gears.


BTW, as soon as the expos take their positions, you're gonna see some serious work going down compared to the race truck! LOL I'm planning 1 week start to finish on the rear suspension, 2 weeks on the front suspension, 1 week for body and interior and another week to button up stuff. Then hopefully right into paint and tint and game on!!! That's in a perfect world so we'll see... BTW, a lot of that time includes building up two vehicles pretty much. I literally am swapping enough parts so that whitey will hopefully end up on 4 wheels when all said and done. Doesn't have to run or look pretty but would be nice if it's supporting it's own weight and maybe has steering... So some of that time involves bolting stock stuff back onto the white one to keep it mobile in the driveway and able to roll away someday.


Marn, Andy has a welder now, hit him up! I'm not even sure if your ride will fit in my garage? Is my garage deep enough for it to fit?
__________________
Khris

http://www.facebook.com/pages/TPF-Racing/255393361194429
sirhk100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2013, 02:46 PM   #22268
MMCKEIG
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 1,185
If anybody needs XJ parts

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/3660341070.html
MMCKEIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2013, 02:49 PM   #22269
andy02
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lost Wages, NV
Posts: 3,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhk100 View Post
Whoops, this is for Andy,

LOL, yes!!!!!!!!! Like I said in that PM... I don't know the details cause I haven't read into it much, I just know it's an option that exists that I completely forgot about cause of the pathway I've come. With you starting from scratch though it might be a good way to go and end up both cheaper and stronger!

As for parts in yards, yes, I've seen a bunch of them in both pic-a-parts every time I've gone. They're very common to find.


BTW, as soon as the expos take their positions, you're gonna see some serious work going down compared to the race truck! LOL I'm planning 1 week start to finish on the rear suspension, 2 weeks on the front suspension, 1 week for body and interior and another week to button up stuff. Then hopefully right into paint and tint and game on!!! That's in a perfect world so we'll see...


Marn, Andy has a welder now, hit him up!
The only real downside is that if you are running 33's you either have to notch the frame to clear the diff or you lose some up travel. With 35's, the tires will get into the fenders or the fan just as the diff hits so you set bumps according to that. Even getting angles dialed in is pretty easy. The white truck is getting 17" bumped and strapped and it would be more but he is limited by tire size. With 33's it is thought that you would get around 19 with a little framework and the right radius arms.

Edit... When work starts on your Expo expect to see me over there quite a bit.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix
No one really knows the reason for LCOG Jeeps.

Its so short ****s like me and you can still get in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ACR View Post
My issue was I couldn't get the balls centered. I had to use some extra force to get everything lined up right. It didn't take me long.


September 11 2001
Never Forget!
andy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2013, 03:19 PM   #22270
sirhk100
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 5,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMCKEIG View Post

If anybody needs exploder parts

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/pts/3661321546.html


Quote:
Originally Posted by andy02 View Post
The only real downside is that if you are running 33's you either have to notch the frame to clear the diff or you lose some up travel. With 35's, the tires will get into the fenders or the fan just as the diff hits so you set bumps according to that. Even getting angles dialed in is pretty easy. The white truck is getting 17" bumped and strapped and it would be more but he is limited by tire size. With 33's it is thought that you would get around 19 with a little framework and the right radius arms.

Edit... When work starts on your Expo expect to see me over there quite a bit.
So with 33's and some frame notching you could squeeze what, an extra inch of up travel out of it? Probably not worth the work honestly... 17" of travel is what the race truck is getting and it's only 2wd!
__________________
Khris

http://www.facebook.com/pages/TPF-Racing/255393361194429
sirhk100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2013, 03:28 PM   #22271
MMCKEIG
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 1,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhk100 View Post
If anybody needs exploder parts
Sounds like a scam! haha

The seller is probably just phishing for Mexicans, so he can steal their identity. haha
MMCKEIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2013, 03:31 PM   #22272
sirhk100
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 5,339
Seller could use some mexicans to pull weeds in the back yard, pickup dog poop and clean the house I bet. Maybe cook some dinner too while they're over.
__________________
Khris

http://www.facebook.com/pages/TPF-Racing/255393361194429
sirhk100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2013, 03:39 PM   #22273
sirhk100
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 5,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy02 View Post
Edit... When work starts on your Expo expect to see me over there quite a bit.
Actually now that I think about it, you should just hold off on the build altogether until I'm done with mine here fairly soon cause then you can see first hand if it's something similar to really what you want...
__________________
Khris

http://www.facebook.com/pages/TPF-Racing/255393361194429
sirhk100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2013, 03:41 PM   #22274
andy02
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lost Wages, NV
Posts: 3,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhk100 View Post
If anybody needs exploder parts

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/pts/3661321546.html




So with 33's and some frame notching you could squeeze what, an extra inch of up travel out of it? Probably not worth the work honestly... 17" of travel is what the race truck is getting and it's only 2wd!
Probably about right! I'll see where I am at once I get to building something and go from there.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix
No one really knows the reason for LCOG Jeeps.

Its so short ****s like me and you can still get in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ACR View Post
My issue was I couldn't get the balls centered. I had to use some extra force to get everything lined up right. It didn't take me long.


September 11 2001
Never Forget!
andy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2013, 03:52 PM   #22275
sirhk100
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 5,339
BTW, when I get the beadlocks off the expo, if what I'm "hoping" I find is what it is and I can fix them I'd sell them to anyone on here for $600 for all 4. They're 15x8 with 5x4.5 lug pattern. Should work good on a jeep. Basically my gut feeling is the lips that the bead actually rides on are painted and probably a bit banged up from use. If that's the case I should be able to simply wire wheel the bead area clean and that should hopefully get them to seal up good like they should. It'll be a little bit of a buy at your own risk but I'd give you my honest gut feeling on if they were going to work or not before selling them to any of you. I've also heard about people putting rtv on the beads before tightening them up but that just seems like it would make for a PITA next tire change!
__________________
Khris

http://www.facebook.com/pages/TPF-Racing/255393361194429
sirhk100 is offline   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.