Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread - Page 146 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

ExtremeTerrain GROUP BUY: Barricade Rear Bumpers/Tire CarrIntroducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteering and more from Ruffstuff!

Unread 11-29-2011, 12:53 AM   #2176
ksturgio
1997 ZJ 

I thought you guys that love mines would find this interesting. My grandparents were in town for the holiday from caliente nv. My grandfather graduated from las Vegas high in 46. When he was a kid he spent summers in goodsprings with his father who was mining there. He said he has some pictures of the mine and possibly some maps. I'll post them when I receive them but it might be a while. He doesn't have the Internet because he is afraid of identity theft and no amount of explaining will convince him otherwise.

ksturgio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2011, 01:14 AM   #2177
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

That would be awesome beyond words if he has old maps from back then!! Old maps are the best-before political correctness did away with all the "dangerous stuff". If you have access to a scanner if/when you get maps, I would love emails. I know it's a maybe for the maps, but how cool. I can tell you from experience, listen to all of their old stories before their gone, because at that point it's lost history that is gone forever.
Unread 11-29-2011, 08:50 AM   #2178
sirhk100

Poison... I found the info I'd need to get my but out on the tip of kelly point. Now the main question... From the one picture that I can see your tire carrier and your license plate alone looks like you possibly have a pretty built rig. Did you even need 4WD to get out there? How rough is the route? Only asking cause I've got my jeep that's 4wd on 35s but like we all know they're not the fastest things out there. When I know the trail isn't going to require 4WD though I usually take my truck cause it's much smoother and faster! It's on 33" tires with a spool in the rear. Basically was there any rock crawling or was it just rough dirt roads?
sirhk100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2011, 10:54 AM   #2179
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksturgio View Post
When he was a kid he spent summers in goodsprings with his father who was mining there. He said he has some pictures of the mine and possibly some maps...
Do you know which mine he was working? I've been trying to map the mines I've been in, but there are always new things to see. I'm sure the maps I'm making are missing so much.
YouStupidBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2011, 10:59 AM   #2180
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poison3DSpider View Post
No I did not do any fishing.
Fishing is what I miss most about Florida. Where I lived, I could drive five miles without seeing a pond, creek, river or ocean. I used to keep a fishing pole with me just in case I drove by some fish.

I tried fishing Lake Mead, but fishing clear water is different than fishing muddy water. In muddy water, all you need is a stinky bait. In clear water, you need to have some technique.
Unread 11-29-2011, 01:15 PM   #2181
MikeSW214
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I wish I could make that trip..... but my Jeep did.

MikeSW214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2011, 04:35 PM   #2182
sirhk100

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMCKEIG View Post
Adam's is who I consulted on my tranny problems and they referred me to Bob's Transmission, since they no longer have a tranny guy in house at Adam's. Good luck with whatever you choose to do.
Well you're going to kill me!!! LOL went over and talked with my uncle. He knew right off the bat the problem and stopped me mid way and continued to describe the exact symptoms mine is having. If I pull it myself and bring it over it'll be $90 in parts to fix it. Then I slap it back in. So that's a no brainer...
sirhk100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2011, 04:41 PM   #2183
MMCKEIG
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhk100 View Post
Well you're going to kill me!!! LOL went over and talked with my uncle. He knew right off the bat the problem and stopped me mid way and continued to describe the exact symptoms mine is having. If I pull it myself and bring it over it'll be $90 in parts to fix it. Then I slap it back in. So that's a no brainer... Then on top of that for the long term cure to my high rpm issues due to being geared too low in the axles he's got a 6speed out of a '06 TJ with 12K miles on it that they had to warranty cause it popped out of gear one time on the owner. I guess the owner had a melt down and brought it up with jeep corporate and they were forced to replace it with nothing wrong. He told me to back the truck up to it and take it for free. Some research looks like other then relocating the crank position sensor it should go pretty much right in. So basically I'll fix my current box, then start gathering the known parts for the swap. Once I have everything I think I need I'll advertise my 32RH around vegas and leave it in for people to test drive. Then pull it out, sell it to cover some of the swapped parts needed and bam! '01 TJ with a 6 speed manual! LOL at least it works in my head!
Haha good for you. I'm not mad at all, I saw the insides from mine and they were chewed up pretty bad (the thing had been drug behind an RV for the first 60k of its life). I'm just glad its over with an taken care of. I'm only jealous of the fact you have a place to work on your rig. I had access to a full customizing shop when I lived in NC, sadly my apartment parking lot here, doesn't even compare. haha Good Luck with the swap, hope it works out.
MMCKEIG is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2011, 05:32 PM   #2184
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

You got any more hookups for 06 tj stuff? Would love to have some spare stuff lying around! Of course I'm willing to pay for it, just so long as it's reasonable prices.
Unread 11-29-2011, 06:58 PM   #2185
adams1985cj
1985 CJ7 

If anyone needs repairs done to their soft-top go to West Charleston Auto Upholstery. This guy has made a role bar cover as well as sewn up and patched my soft top. He does great work and great prices. 702-870-4097 Just thought I would throw that out there, it’s hard to find good service in this town.
Unread 11-29-2011, 07:11 PM   #2186
Poison3DSpider

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhk100 View Post
Poison... I found the info I'd need to get my but out on the tip of kelly point. Now the main question... From the one picture that I can see your tire carrier and your license plate alone looks like you possibly have a pretty built rig. Did you even need 4WD to get out there? How rough is the route? Only asking cause I've got my jeep that's 4wd on 35s but like we all know they're not the fastest things out there. When I know the trail isn't going to require 4WD though I usually take my truck cause it's much smoother and faster! It's on 33" tires with a spool in the rear. Basically was there any rock crawling or was it just rough dirt roads?
I never needed 4 wheel drive. The first 90 or so miles from St George is just flat dirt roads, 45 to 55 mph. The last 20 or so miles is slow going. I think the sign says the next 20 miles could take 4 hrs to reach Kelly Point. I did it by myself in June, and the last 20 miles took me about 1.5 hrs, last week 10 or so Jeeps took just over 2 hrs. 2 hrs of driving over and around bowling ball size rocks.The road is also very over grown with brush, a full size truck will get LOTS, of desert pinstriping. Heck, a Jeep will get lots of pinstriping, in June I lost one of my KC light covers, off the passenger side windshield. It can be done in a full size truck with 33s and a locker, but you will enjoy the trip a lot more in your Jeep.
Unread 11-29-2011, 07:15 PM   #2187
Poison3DSpider

Boy those are two great looking Jeeps. You missed a great time.
Unread 11-29-2011, 08:08 PM   #2188
MikeSW214
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poison3DSpider View Post
[IMG]Boy those are two great looking Jeeps. You missed a great time.
Thats why I posted it...

Had to go see the fam. In chicago
MikeSW214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2011, 08:15 PM   #2189
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Here's how my day started. Changing brake pads. I had a hard time getting the new ones in. There was a lip on the new ones that wasn't on the old. It took a while, but I got them in.

What do you think? The old ones had at least another 10k miles left, right?
img_4748.jpg  
Unread 11-29-2011, 08:17 PM   #2190
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

We were going to explore the Hoodoo Mine again in Goodsprings, but there was an FJ parked out front and we didn't want to head in and scare the guy down a shaft. We ended up at the Sultan Mine again and explored a few upper workings.
img_4597.jpg  

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.