Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread - Page 145 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 11-28-2011, 03:28 PM   #2161
sirhk100

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMCKEIG View Post
However, my tranny got so bad in the TJ (after it almost left me still in intersections a couple mornings)
BTW, when mine is cold. Sometimes I pull it into reverse and nothing. It'll just sit there at idle. Gotta hit about 1500rpm and it jerks into gear I guess you could say. Never really has an issue going into foward drive. But the shift from 1st to 2nd sometimes doesn't seem like it's going to happen. It lets the engine rev decent before it engages into 2nd. Once it's up to temp it seems to work fine on the highway. Last weekend though in 4lo down in parker on some rocky climbs I did have it do the slipping thing from the 1st to 2nd shift that made me a bit nervous.

How similar were your issues?

Also, Curious... Did you try a transmission flush before the rebuild? I do 99.9999% of maintenance and work myself but flushing the trans is just so friggen messy it's one thing I'd pay to have done. I'm thinking about dropping the $80-110ish to have it done in hopes maybe it prolongs the inevitable a bit. Just curious if you did try flushing yours and if it made a difference or was it a waste?

sirhk100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2011, 03:43 PM   #2162
MMCKEIG
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhk100 View Post
BTW, when mine is cold. Sometimes I pull it into reverse and nothing. It'll just sit there at idle. Gotta hit about 1500rpm and it jerks into gear I guess you could say. Never really has an issue going into foward drive. But the shift from 1st to 2nd sometimes doesn't seem like it's going to happen. It lets the engine rev decent before it engages into 2nd. Once it's up to temp it seems to work fine on the highway. Last weekend though in 4lo down in parker on some rocky climbs I did have it do the slipping thing from the 1st to 2nd shift that made me a bit nervous.

How similar were your issues?

Also, Curious... Did you try a transmission flush before the rebuild? I do 99.9999% of maintenance and work myself but flushing the trans is just so friggen messy it's one thing I'd pay to have done. I'm thinking about dropping the $80-110ish to have it done in hopes maybe it prolongs the inevitable a bit. Just curious if you did try flushing yours and if it made a difference or was it a waste?
Mine was fine going into reverse. It was really bad in between 1st and 2nd, and went it was cold and idle in 1st it seemed like it slipped into neutral and then when rev it would jump forward into gear. It started happening more and more frequent and then in between 2nd and 3rd (thats when I knew I had to do something quick). But like your's only when cold, once heated up, it ran like a champ, never even had to use 4 lo, I could go anywhere with it in drive and 4 hi.

I had the tranny flushed about 5k or so before getting it rebuilt, it didn't seem to help the minimal slipping that was happening at the time. Mine didn't start slipping until a few months ago, and then progressively got worse and more frequent, until really bad a few weeks ago. I feared I would get stranded on a trail or something.
MMCKEIG is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2011, 04:07 PM   #2163
sirhk100

So some differences but still similar in ways. Interesting... I'm going to try and run by to talk with my uncle and get his opinion on if I should spend the cash on the flush in hopes of procrastinating the issue or not. The fluid is still red and doesn't smell burned but I know for a fact when I ran the mojave trail with it about 6 months ago there was a couple long stretches where it was excessively cooked. That's another thing I've noticed with this transmission. I've got a trans temp gauge with the sending unit on the oil output line to the cooler and it doesn't take much "work" on the trans to have it in the 250+ range which is pretty scary! I actually added a 2nd cooler in addition to the one in my aluminum radiator. The cooler was a stock setup off a suburban with a towing package and it helped a little but I can still cook it easier then it seems like I should.

Ugh... It's funny how as soon as I finish one big money project the next one happens to just fall right into line next. I really don't want to do a trans swap but at the same time I feel like I'm wasting money just rebuilding the 3sp cause of my highway rpm issue.

I'm gonna swing by Adam's driveline some afternoon this week quiz them on opinions of various trans swap options they've done or know about.
Unread 11-28-2011, 04:12 PM   #2164
MMCKEIG
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
So some differences but still similar in ways. Interesting... I'm going to try and run by to talk with my uncle and get his opinion on if I should spend the cash on the flush in hopes of procrastinating the issue or not. The fluid is still red and doesn't smell burned but I know for a fact when I ran the mojave trail with it about 6 months ago there was a couple long stretches where it was excessively cooked. That's another thing I've noticed with this transmission. I've got a trans temp gauge with the sending unit on the oil output line to the cooler and it doesn't take much "work" on the trans to have it in the 250+ range which is pretty scary! I actually added a 2nd cooler in addition to the one in my aluminum radiator. The cooler was a stock setup off a suburban with a towing package and it helped a little but I can still cook it easier then it seems like I should.

Ugh... It's funny how as soon as I finish one big money project the next one happens to just fall right into line next. I really don't want to do a trans swap but at the same time I feel like I'm wasting money just rebuilding the 3sp cause of my highway rpm issue.

I'm gonna swing by Adam's driveline some afternoon this week quiz them on opinions of various trans swap options they've done or know about.
Adam's is who I consulted on my tranny problems and they referred me to Bob's Transmission, since they no longer have a tranny guy in house at Adam's. Good luck with whatever you choose to do.
MMCKEIG is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2011, 04:18 PM   #2165
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:

Did you put the second cooler before or after the radiator? I would just bypass the rad cooler all together because it's only going to cool the trans based on what the thermostat is which is 195 right? I think you would get better results cooling with it bypassed.
PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2011, 04:38 PM   #2166
sirhk100

I've got it after the radiator cooler just for that reason figuring it will help kick it down from that radiator temp. I've gone back and forth on bypassing that cooler on the radiator though. It really wouldn't be too hard to swap the lines around and just give it a test. Heck, what's the worse that happens, I kill this trans? LOL It's coming anyways and it would be some good proof as to if it really helps or hinders doing that bypass. I've cut apart the OE radiator with cooler, a pretty popular brand aftermarket radiator and the one I'm running and you'd actually probably be pretty surprised how small the radiator internal coolers are. I was at least I guess. (I work for the company that makes the radiator I'm running... LOL I'm not just out hacking up random radiators. LOL)

One thing I've wondered and didn't really want to guinea pig on my trans at the time I installed the radiator and 2nd cooler is how long it would take for the transmission to get up to operating temp. I'm not 100% sure but I think the transmission wants the oil at a minimum temp to work correctly and I think in cold climate areas that built in cooler works as a warmer actually just for that purpose. I'm curious how long it would take to get it up to temp without the radiator cooler plumbed in the circuit. Not being an expert I can argue in my mind pros and cons for both ways but who knows what's actually right. LOL It's not like we're freezing around here but some of these mornings are pretty cool!
Unread 11-28-2011, 06:47 PM   #2167
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

My old 95 zj had an external trans cooler along with the internal. I thought it was a bad move to take it away on my model. There are a few guys running the bypass that I know and there is no ill effect of it not getting to proper operating temp and they see some cold winters. Heat is the enemy of transmissions. I am going to do this as soon as I get all the other repairs done. It's definitely on the list. I would hate to think that I would loose a transmission if my radiator took a dump.
Unread 11-28-2011, 09:54 PM   #2168
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Got some new ropes and harnesses. I'll be fast roping into a few mines tomorrow. I know I shouldn't, but I'm so bored with life. Anyone not doing anything important the next couple days?

I need a safer hobby. I tried getting into the PS3, but I suck at all my games and was thinking of selling it. Maybe I could try graffiti.
YouStupidBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2011, 10:19 PM   #2169
Poison3DSpider

A few pictures from this past weekend. 3 days, 2 nights, and over 300 miles of dirt roads. Whitmore overlook, and Kelly Point.

Unread 11-28-2011, 10:24 PM   #2170
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Beautiful pictures, Poison. Did you do any fishing there?
Unread 11-28-2011, 10:35 PM   #2171
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Looks like you had a nice spot poisonspider! You have gps coordinates to get to where you set up your chairs? My wife wants to go!
Unread 11-28-2011, 10:35 PM   #2172
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouStupidBunny View Post
Got some new ropes and harnesses. I'll be fast roping into a few mines tomorrow. I know I shouldn't, but I'm so bored with life. Anyone not doing anything important the next couple days?

I need a safer hobby. I tried getting into the PS3, but I suck at all my games and was thinking of selling it. Maybe I could try graffiti.
You may as well be the character in the video game "Pitfall". Jumping over old dynamite and repelling into caves. You need a whip to kill rattle snakes.
Unread 11-28-2011, 10:42 PM   #2173
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

May not get to use my new ropes tomorrow. I started to hear the low pad indicators in my brakes tonight. I picked up some Duralast Gold's. If I get them installed in the morning without much trouble I should still be able to go.

I had Pitfall on my Atari 2600. I still have my old 2600 and it still works. I even have the original box for it. Mom always saved the boxes for everything since we moved every few years.
Unread 11-28-2011, 11:01 PM   #2174
Poison3DSpider

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouStupidBunny View Post
Beautiful pictures, Poison. Did you do any fishing there?
No I did not do any fishing. Whitmore overlook has a trail down to the river. I hiked it in June. 800 ft down, lots of fun, 800 feet back up, NOT lots of fun. About 3 miles round trip. I am sure there are some nice fish in the river, not many people are going to hike down.
2 pictures from June, one from the top, and one looking back up from the river where the Jeep is parked.

Unread 11-28-2011, 11:05 PM   #2175
Poison3DSpider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powrjunkey View Post
Looks like you had a nice spot poisonspider! You have gps coordinates to get to where you set up your chairs? My wife wants to go!
No I do not have the coordinates. The first picture of the chairs is Whitmore, the second is Kelley Point. This is a link to the Overlooks in the AZ. Strip. It is worth the Drive

http://www.blm.gov/az/st/en/prog/rec..._overlook.html

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.