Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread - Page 1446 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

Huge Soft top SaleAdvance Adapters SYE KitsCurrie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!

Unread 02-18-2013, 08:31 PM   #21676
sirhk100

I didn't read any of that marn... But I will say i know COUNTLESS that have ran 12.50's on a 7" wide rim if that makes you feel any better.

For the record I think the race truck has officially boycotted me! Last week the motor mounts kicked my but, tonight a simple rubber bumpstop decided it wasn't going to want to work right and it's brand f'ing new too!!! Get to drive across town to exchange it tomorrow night. Gotta love wasting gas money to exchane a $12 part!

On an up note though, I did a little grinding and welding myself all fire free and the leaf springs are about 80% prepped and ready almost ready to be reassembled once I get the bumpstops where I want them hopefully tomorrow night. Cleaning leafs is a poopy job! Marn, I might try and borrow a laborer for an hour from you next time I need to prep leafs! It's a simple job that anyone can do, I just don't wanna do it! LOL Grind off all crud, spray with graphite, stack to be reassembled when ready...

http://www.facebook.com/pages/TPF-Racing/255393361194429
sirhk100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2013, 08:58 PM   #21677
MMCKEIG
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus

So, we were talking about a 10.5 on a 6" and a 12.5" on an 8" specifically.

I dont know how tires 'work' like what forces make it unsafe to run a certain width or height on a certain rim, but the way i figure it

there is a 4.5" difference between tread width and rim width. in the both cases above.

On the 6" rim, there is a 4.5" difference. 4.5" is 75% of the width of the 6" rim. Also means that the 6" rim is only 57% of the width of the actual tread width.

With the 8" rim, that 4.5" difference is only 56% of the width of the rim, so, even though you are making up the same 4.5", it's less in comparison to the overall width of the rim. And when comparing the overall width, the 8" rim is 64% of the actual wheel.

so, the ratio of "extra tread width" (4.5" in both cases) to the actual width of the rim is different.

I don't really know if that means anything, because I dont know how that acts on pressures and stresses and whatnot.

Also i figure that it would be EASIER for a tire with a taller sidewall to be mounted on a narrower rim than a tire of the same width with a shorter sidewall to be mounted on a rim of the same width (easier on the 33x10.50 to mount than a 31x10.50).

Because both of those tires have the same 4.5" to make up between tread width and rim width, but the taller sidewall has a longer distance to make up the same difference (essentially the smaller tire would have to have a steeper angle headed from the edge of the tread to the bead)

if you want to look at the tread with ratios on the 7" with a 12.5" tire, it obviously wont be the same, looks like the excess tread width makes up more than of a percentage of the actual rim width than does the 4.5" difference on a 6" wheel. Also, the wider the tread the more gently it can curve because it has more width to do so..... but i dunno dude, i didnt say it made a difference, i was asking because it's something i dont understand, or have experience in.

BF goodrich's website says for the 33x10.50 that the rim width min/max is 7" and 9" (I know we dont always follow that stuff, hell i've seen plenty of 12.50's on like 14" wide rims, ugh)

It says for the 12.50's to run between an 8.5" to 11" wide rim.

so i guess somebody running a 12.50 on a 7" is obviously the same in principle, but like i said, i dont know if the differences in the ratio of tread width to rim width make any difference.
I used to run 33s on my factory jeep rims (7") without a problem. I think you should be fine.
MMCKEIG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2013, 09:52 PM   #21678
gregaf3
2013 JK Wrangler 

I cannot get my SWR down on my CB with Andy's meter and we are questioning if the meter is good or not. Does anybody have a SWR meter or any input on what could be causing a high SWR reading.
Unread 02-18-2013, 10:12 PM   #21679
PhotoJared
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Check grounds. How long is your antenna?
other stuff
PhotoJared is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2013, 10:18 PM   #21680
gregaf3
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoJared View Post
Check grounds. How long is your antenna?
4' firestick 2. The mount is grounded which is on my swing away tire carrier. Ohms good to ground, cable ohms out good. I even took a pair of jumper cables and grounded everything out. I removed the ad and spring and nothing changed
Unread 02-18-2013, 10:34 PM   #21681
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Is your antenna grounding? That would be a bad thing.

On Terry's jeep he couldn't transmit for crap, we tried several things and it becme better when I had him wrap his mounting tab with duct tape. Then I suggested he get a mount bracket that uses a mounting nut with a nylon washers both between the top section of the antenna base and between the walls of the hole in the mount.

If you go to frys and get a bumper mount it will come with this. You have the actual 'tab' that bolts to the bumper which is just a bent piece of sheet metal with a hole in it. Whatever goes through the hole needs to insulate the actual connections (the antenna base that passes through the mount) from grounding out on the actual mount tab.

I hope that makes sense. Essentially, make sure the antenna isn't grounded.

Illegitimi Non Carborundum

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2013, 10:36 PM   #21682
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhk100
I didn't read any of that marn... But I will say i know COUNTLESS that have ran 12.50's on a 7" wide rim if that makes you feel any better.

Yes, actually, it does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMCKEIG

I used to run 33s on my factory jeep rims (7") without a problem. I think you should be fine.
That's what I want to hear

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Unread 02-18-2013, 10:47 PM   #21683
gregaf3
2013 JK Wrangler 

yeah the center conductor shows a complete open to ground (Not connected for you non technical types). I used a meter and ohmed out everything to ground and made sure that it was connected point to point. The antenna is in no way grounding out anywhere that I can find both with a meter and visually.
Unread 02-18-2013, 11:01 PM   #21684
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy02
This is all that is left of what was once a full length ghillie suit with an integrated camel back...
Sack of weed! Lol
Unread 02-19-2013, 02:29 AM   #21685
Raptor0206
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMCKEIG View Post
33x9.5 lol j/k marn
Raptor0206 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2013, 08:24 AM   #21686
B0nez
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregaf3
yeah the center conductor shows a complete open to ground (Not connected for you non technical types). I used a meter and ohmed out everything to ground and made sure that it was connected point to point. The antenna is in no way grounding out anywhere that I can find both with a meter and visually.
Not to sound like a broken record here or anything, but with the amount of time and effort you've put into this; you could've hit up VegasNick and had it done inside 15 minutes. If you need his contact info, PM me and I'll send it over to you - he lives up near us and has all sorts of knowledge & equipment to test each part of your radio + parts to fix it as necessary. He did all my tuning/adjusting and troubleshooting & hooked me up with a brand spankin new sweet adjustable antenna all for a grand total of $20.
B0nez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2013, 08:48 AM   #21687
Puck81
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by B0nez View Post

Not to sound like a broken record here or anything, but with the amount of time and effort you've put into this; you could've hit up VegasNick and had it done inside 15 minutes. If you need his contact info, PM me and I'll send it over to you - he lives up near us and has all sorts of knowledge & equipment to test each part of your radio + parts to fix it as necessary. He did all my tuning/adjusting and troubleshooting & hooked me up with a brand spankin new sweet adjustable antenna all for a grand total of $20.
Does he install CBs too? If so text me his info plz

Sent from my Imagination
Puck81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2013, 08:49 AM   #21688
gregaf3
2013 JK Wrangler 

I sent him a PM last night. I was just reading some of the stuff on Right Channel Radio's website. I am debating if I just need to get a new coax cable. Everything ohms out good on it and it came it a hard package all coiled up, so the chances of it being kinked are slim. Bit it was one of the $10 ones off of amazon, so who knows if it is good. But on the flip side, we did slave in a new coax able from the antenna to the CB and the SWR was still off the chart. Tonight I might grind off some more of the mount and use some dielectric grease. I have seen before where a connection will have enough contact to read good with a meter, but not enough to carry a load.
Unread 02-19-2013, 08:50 AM   #21689
gregaf3
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck81 View Post
Does he install CBs too? If so text me his info plz

Sent from my Imagination
check the Nevada section. I think he started a tread titled "Quick Intro" or something like that.
Unread 02-19-2013, 09:01 AM   #21690
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Mornin everybody

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.