Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread - Page 1416 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-11-2013, 11:08 AM   #21226
ksturgio
1997 ZJ 

It's going to be a little while before I pull the trigger. I've just been shopping around. I've got to get a motor machined and rebuilt, plan on at the least converting my front d30 to U joints or swapping axels altogether before I start on bumpers/sliders/exocage. I want to get it to the point to where it is as safe as I can get it before I take my wife out again. I'm figuring to make the jeep as fool proof and as comfortable as I can so she can drive it and not worry about getting hurt. Hopefully swaying her into going out with me a little more.

ksturgio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2013, 11:15 AM   #21227
sirhk100

Oh, I guess I'll probably be using the dies to build my rock sliders on the expo too. I forgot about those... LOL

http://www.facebook.com/pages/TPF-Racing/255393361194429
sirhk100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2013, 11:23 AM   #21228
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhk100 View Post
Oh andy, remember I was saying I was pissed cause just days before I bought Red I finally got pissed off enough at the wheels on the expo and pulled them off and spent 2 hours getting the front ones to seal finally and that they hadn't leaked at all in the last month or so it's been parked? Well yesterday I went out and fired it up to move it so I could run and get some food during my long day of nothing. I figured I'd drive the toyota since it hadn't moved since we used it to prerun with at the race a month ago. So I pull the expo out, pull the toyota out and actually just left he explorer sitting in the drive way idling while I ran down the road for 10 minutes. I come back home, park everything again and all good. So I come out this morning, driver side front tire is almost flat! Hadn't leaked in the last month sitting there but god forbid I move it 20 feet to give me room to pull the toyota out and now it's leaking!!! LOL

When I finally pull the wheels off to sell I've got one last idea to make them seal for the future owner but I'm not going to say crap while selling them. I'm just going to make an attempt to fix it and sell them hoping for the best. LOL Stupid beadlocks!!!!! My champion beadlocks on my toyota... I've never ever had an issue with them leaking! These KMC's I can't make stop leaking for some reason!

Your woes with the beadlocks on the Expo is what has made me decide to get another set of wheels for the Jeep before I sell it. I had planned to buy those KMC's from you but I don't want to deal with the leaking. I would worry that one would go flat while driving it to work on the odd day that I do. Seems to me that having a tire go flat at 65 MPH is a bad thing. LOL

Its so short ****s like me and you can still get in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ACR View Post
My issue was I couldn't get the balls centered. I had to use some extra force to get everything lined up right. It didn't take me long.

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
andy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2013, 11:27 AM   #21229
ksturgio
1997 ZJ 

I'm not sure what rods I have but I have about 1-2000 rods of all types. I think I even have some cutting rods. A boss I had in HS bought at MIG welder and gave me this huge welder and countless rods. I am guessing that the rods are all garbage due to the fact of not being stored in a oven or whatever those things are called. I would hate to just get rid of it. I've listed it for sale a few times but nobody seems to want it. I figure since I have it I might as well use it.
Unread 02-11-2013, 11:30 AM   #21230
sirhk100

I don't think they really leak on the fly, it's more while it's parked... And it's a slow leak either way but yeah, I personally wouldn't want to mess with them. If you wanted to try them out and see if you can get them to stop leaking once I'm ready to unload them you're more then welcome to. My last ditch effort is to while they're off to hit the mating surfaces 100% with wire wheel and then run a tap thru every single hole. At that point they "should" be pretty much brand new in that aspect at least. I don't totally remember if those mating surfaces were painted when mounted them or not honestly... I've only had them apart once. I do that on my champions and for some reason didn't do it on these KMC's and that really might be all that's needed. I'm just not sure right now though.

Unread 02-11-2013, 11:31 AM   #21231
sirhk100

Stick welding is hard!!! At least for me it is. I've always taken the rods and cut them in half to shorten them up.

Unread 02-11-2013, 11:47 AM   #21232
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksturgio View Post
I'm not sure what rods I have but I have about 1-2000 rods of all types. I think I even have some cutting rods. A boss I had in HS bought at MIG welder and gave me this huge welder and countless rods. I am guessing that the rods are all garbage due to the fact of not being stored in a oven or whatever those things are called. I would hate to just get rid of it. I've listed it for sale a few times but nobody seems to want it. I figure since I have it I might as well use it.
An oven is only need for certain rods that contain little to no hydrogen in the flux. 7018 is an example of one of those rods. If you have the means, any low-hi rod can be brought back by putting them in an oven at 700-800* for about an hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhk100 View Post
Stick welding is hard!!! At least for me it is. I've always taken the rods and cut them in half to shorten them up.
Stick welding is much more difficult than MIG. Even having done it for a while, I am still not very good at it. It takes a very steady hand and you have to be able to listen to the sound in order to make sure that the electrode is close enough to the product being welded. If you hold the rod at the wrong angle, flux breaks off and contaminates the welds. However, it is more structurally sound than using MIG.

Quote:
My issue was I couldn't get the balls centered. I had to use some extra force to get everything lined up right. It didn't take me long.

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
Unread 02-11-2013, 11:50 AM   #21233
sirhk100

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy02 View Post
However, it is more structurally sound than using MIG.
Yeah, but who's building skyscrapers here? LOL

Unread 02-11-2013, 11:58 AM   #21234
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Just the construction workers on the strip. For our uses, MIG is the way to go.

Quote:

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
Unread 02-11-2013, 12:13 PM   #21235
ksturgio
1997 ZJ 

I've been told it would be better to recycle it for the copper then to sell it as a welder. Any thoughts?
Unread 02-11-2013, 12:22 PM   #21236
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I've been told it would be better to recycle it for the copper then to sell it as a welder. Any thoughts?
Copper is pretty expensive right now. You might get a pretty good chunk of change out of it.

Quote:

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
Unread 02-11-2013, 12:25 PM   #21237
Puck81
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy02 View Post

Copper is pretty expensive right now. You might get a pretty good chunk of change out of it.
$2.70- $3.25 a pound. Depends if its ugly or shinny new looking.

Sent from my Imagination
Puck81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2013, 12:30 PM   #21238
ksturgio
1997 ZJ 

Do you think I'm going to have to take the thing apart or will they just take it?
Unread 02-11-2013, 12:32 PM   #21239
Puck81
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Do you think I'm going to have to take the thing apart or will they just take it?
Take it apart for max amount of cash

Sent from my Imagination
Puck81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2013, 12:52 PM   #21240
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck81 View Post
$2.70- $3.25 a pound. Depends if its ugly or shinny new looking.

Sent from my Imagination
we took in a wheelbarrow full of raunchy old PVB's and got like $550

Quote:
Well I figured it up and over a period of time, This four thousand dollar car of mine, Cost fourteen thousand dollars And ninety-nine cents, well now! - Jerry Reed

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.