Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

2M views 42K replies 144 participants last post by  terrasmak 
#1 ·
I figured since the other thread started out as talking about making a club, and what clubs are available, we should have a thread that's just dedicated to setting up trail runs.

The title says it all, and it'll be less cluttered.

So, the 9/18/10 Run to Potato Ridge was a success!

Next item on the schedule is Logandale on 10/23/10 according to McRoberts. Seems like we have a few interested parties! Who all is planning to attend?

If there is anything in the meantime, or someone local wants another rig to ride with them, just post up and see if anyone is available!

#28,201 ·
Nice! Yeah, I had to knock out all 8 of mine a couple weekends ago when doing my wheel/tire shuffle in the driveway. Curious, how are you breaking the inner bead loose? Do you have any cool trick? I grab my highlift and whatever vehicle is convenient and start jacking it up with the pad of the high lift on the tire right up against the inner bead and start lifting till it pops which is sometimes easy and sometimes a major pain!

#28,202 ·
Nice! Yeah, I had to knock out all 8 of mine a couple weekends ago when doing my wheel/tire shuffle in the driveway. Curious, how are you breaking the inner bead loose? Do you have any cool trick? I grab my highlift and whatever vehicle is convenient and start jacking it up with the pad of the high lift on the tire right up against the inner bead and start lifting till it pops which is sometimes easy and sometimes a major pain!
I gave up on inner beads long ago. We drove on them with Dave's truck, my old diesel truck and I've done all kinds of prying, heating, jumping.....they flat out suck and GY's are the worst. Now I break them down, take them to WC Motoring right by my office and have them break all the inner beads and remove the wheel for me, throw them a $20 and I'm on my way.

As many tire changes I see in the future between my rig, John's rig, and the buggies.....I am seriously going to look for a legit used tire machine. Between everything I have there is 4 sets of MTR's, 1 set of 40" Toyos, and 1 set of Falkens...I think we have 36 tires in all AND we have like 20 beadlock wheels

#28,203 ·
All I can say is I'm soooooo happy we're not running beadlocks on the race truck since there's 10 tires for it alone!!! I've got no problem hauling them down to the mexican shop on trop and maryland to have them do anything I need! LOL

#28,204 ·
All I can say is I'm soooooo happy we're not running beadlocks on the race truck since there's 10 tires for it alone!!! I've got no problem hauling them down to the mexican shop on trop and maryland to have them do anything I need! LOL
You don't need beadlocks to cruise in 4th gear @ 45mph on the straight-aways:rofl: Sorry Jason wherever you are, had too lol

#28,205 ·
You don't need beadlocks in most racing in general. If I get that new F150, you will not see them on it and it will likely be doing more then 45mph on straight aways for sure. Beadlocks are completely 100% over rated if you're not airing down under any circumstance short of extremes...

#28,207 ·
I need some advice on finding an off-road club for my parents. They basically want to go site seeing on mild trails. By mild I mean dirt roads, I think rocky gap/potato would be too much for my mom. We're trying to get her out of the house more and driving around looking at old ghost towns and mines is one of the few things she's interested in other than TV. Is there a local club that would be a good fit? Thanks!

#28,208 ·
Then I guess I am the utmost extreme (non-racing)? :D
You don't need beadlocks in most racing in general. If I get that new F150, you will not see them on it and it will likely be doing more then 45mph on straight aways for sure. Beadlocks are completely 100% over rated if you're not airing down under any circumstance short of extremes...
I'm guessing you're not wheeling at 25+ psi....

#28,209 ·
matthew900 said:
I need some advice on finding an off-road club for my parents. They basically want to go site seeing on mild trails. By mild I mean dirt roads, I think rocky gap/potato would be too much for my mom. We're trying to get her out of the house more and driving around looking at old ghost towns and mines is one of the few things she's interested in other than TV. Is there a local club that would be a good fit? Thanks!
I think it's like nevada back roaders or something like that. I think they mostly do fire road stuff. They could go pick up a nevada ghost town book as well. There are ALOT of old townsites and former boom towns all over the state and surrounding states.

#28,212 ·
www.nevadabackroaders.com

Go to the site and click "messages" to get to their forum. Runs are posted there as well. They typically do an official club run once a month.

#28,213 ·
To a certain extent, even in the single digits of tire pressure beadlocks aren't really needed. I have never had beadlocks but routinely aired down to 8 PSI for trails. Sure, I blew plenty of beads but it is pretty easy to reset a bead.

#28,215 ·
In my old exploder I typically ran around the desert and rocks at 12psi and the dunes at 8psi. Never lost a bead in the dunes. Lost rears twice at speed in the desert at 12psi from drifting the rear into a raised dirt bank. Only can remember one bead ever coming off in the rocks at it was on the rubicon trail with a swamper running single digit number on an american racing wheel. I could probably even find the old hard copy photo of us changing the tire on the trail. LOL

#28,216 ·
I still haven't measured my front axle shaft to get the one I really need ordered. I'm fine on spline engagement but am a bit hesitant about hitting dirt with it cause the shaft doesn't actually ride on the seal meaning there's a chance for dust to actually get into the 3rd member. I was going to measure it up last night but that didn't happen. Since the race truck is a perminant paper weight in my garage again for a bit with nothing pressing to do on it I've got it on my to do list for tonight in hopes of getting it ordered tomorrow. I've been told lead time on the shaft is going to be about 2-3 weeks. If you wanna go hit the mall up though on Sunday I'm down!

#28,219 ·
Hey Andy! Was that offer to weld up my floor board still good? I caught that you're going to be deploying, so I don't know what your time constrains would be.

Or if anyone else would be willing to help, I'd make if worth your time. I'd like to have some kind of hand in it. I am looking to learn a thing or two.

Thanks!

#28,220 ·
SoCalHunter said:
Hey Andy! Was that offer to weld up my floor board still good? I caught that you're going to be deploying, so I don't know what your time constrains would be.

Or if anyone else would be willing to help, I'd make if worth your time. I'd like to have some kind of hand in it. I am looking to learn a thing or two.

Thanks!
Do you have a welder?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.