Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread - Page 140 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 11-25-2011, 12:00 PM   #2086
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouStupidBunny View Post
I've been in a few mines that a Smart Car could drive through.

I don't have an issue with Smart Cars. I wish I could get their fuel mileage. I still wouldn't drive one because it's not my taste and doesn't fit my needs. I also don't care for the pompous drivers. "Hey! Look at me! I'm Captain Planet!".

Have you seen the new Subaru commercials? They'll donate $250 to one of 5 charities. Nothing wrong with the charities, but there appears to be a theme.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8Q5VCS1mZY
Any car that runs off electricity still used coal for the most part. The nickel in their batteries has to be mined from someplace with huge earth moving vehicles using massive amounts of diesel fuel in more civilized nations down to slave labor in the Congo. The nickel has to then be processed and shipped to Japan on huge cargo ships where they are assembled and then shipped on more huge ships to the U.S. There is no part of these cars that are beneficial to the environment. By the time they get here and the pompous people who act like their stuff don't stink buy them, they have already caused more pollution than my 5.9 built in Detroit will ever cause.

PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2011, 06:50 PM   #2087
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

I'd drive an electric Jeep if the price were right, had good range, fast charge time and power equivelant to a gas engine.

Also, if it did not have any badging identifying it as electric or hybrid. Honestly, I don't give much thought to the environment. I don't pollute and I even pick up other peoples trash outdoors. I don't base life decisions on how I should feel about the planet. I also don't need a badge on my vehicle to advertise how environmentally/politically aware I am. I just want to save a little money with gas. I'm spending close to $400 a month on gas!

100% electric motors are extremely efficient and reliable. Tesla motors has had vehicles on the road for over a decade now. They have 10 test vehicles. The one with the least miles has over 100k. The one with the most has over 300k. None of them have needed any repairs. The brakes in your Jeeps have more moving parts than the Tesla electric motors. I think in maybe another decade technology will advance us a vehicle we wouldn't be embarassed to own.
YouStupidBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2011, 07:41 PM   #2088
blazepsi
2001 WJ 

IMHO Embracing Electric is a start of innovation, so as the funding on research towards it. Soon we can eliminate the coal using machines to produce electric cars. Just like everyone knows, coal and fossil fuel is not the only source of energy. Some rich entrepreneur already start building their solar and windmill power plant to support the change of energy source. It will take a long time before we all switch, that will be the day when Fossil fuel is depleted.
Anyone Watched the documentary of "Who killed the electric Cars?"
blazepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2011, 08:45 PM   #2089
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

I saw it, but it blamed the lack of sales on corporate greed rather than lack of interest. The movie was released in 2006 and started filming in 2004. The Prius is the highest selling hybrid electric, so I'll use it as the baseline.

The first generation Prius used old, inefficient battery technology. It had short run times and limited power options. The second generation Prius was released in 2004, broke even in sales that same year and has been steadily rising in popularity.

The movie was just too quick to play the blame game. Had they held their judgement another year or two, they would have proven themselves wrong. Technology had a larger role in the lack of sales than a corporate conspiracy.

The technology is still relatively new. Like all technology it will improve with time. In the meantime, it would help with acceptance if people didn't use it as a tool for environmental issues.

It's for that reason I won't shop at Fresh and Easy. They have parking spaces reserved for hybrid drivers only. I don't want to give my money to a business that values one customer over another for what they drive.
Unread 11-25-2011, 08:55 PM   #2090
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

.....and to this day people debate what exactly goes on at area 51! It's all this alien technology that we see now. Cell phones, hybrid cars, gps, digital cameras, and the McRib sandwich! Mystery solved!
Unread 11-25-2011, 09:15 PM   #2091
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

There is a fleet of white planes with red stripes designated as Janet Air that flies from McCarran Airport to Area 51. I've seen two of them in the air since we moved here 5 years ago. They're just planes, but I thought it was cool to see them just for their mystique.
Unread 11-25-2011, 09:24 PM   #2092
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

You guys still going out tomorrow? I was thinking of showing up just for the coffee.
Unread 11-25-2011, 09:44 PM   #2093
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Yes sir, gonna be there at 800. Desert inn and eastern starbucks
Unread 11-25-2011, 10:49 PM   #2094
ksturgio
1997 ZJ 

Sorry I can't make it any longer. My wonderful truck has something wrong with it. Just had it towed to the dealership. Thank goodness I spent the extra $ for the extended warranty. I think the trans may be toast. My reliable car is not as reliable as I thought. Looks like I'll get to spend more time on the jeep tomorrow.
ksturgio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2011, 11:12 PM   #2095
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
There is a fleet of white planes with red stripes designated as Janet Air that flies from McCarran Airport to Area 51. I've seen two of them in the air since we moved here 5 years ago. They're just planes, but I thought it was cool to see them just for their mystique.
JANET

Just Another Non-Existent Terminal

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelc View Post
Having a Full Size Jeep is likehaving a hot wife. When you take her out in public it turns heads, they can insight jealousy, you could look at them all day, they require a lot of attention, cost a lot to get them to do what you want them to do, but when they're not happy you'll be cussing, throwing things, and constantly weighing how much you'll lose if you divorce her.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2011, 11:13 PM   #2096
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Picked up a Mosin Nagant 91/30 today....my hands smell like cosmoline from cleaning the dang thing all day.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelc View Post
Having a Full Size Jeep is likehaving a hot wife. When you take her out in public it turns heads, they can insight jealousy, you could look at them all day, they require a lot of attention, cost a lot to get them to do what you want them to do, but when they're not happy you'll be cussing, throwing things, and constantly weighing how much you'll lose if you divorce her.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2011, 11:37 PM   #2097
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
I'd drive an electric Jeep if the price were right, had good range, fast charge time and power equivelant to a gas engine.

Also, if it did not have any badging identifying it as electric or hybrid. Honestly, I don't give much thought to the environment. I don't pollute and I even pick up other peoples trash outdoors. I don't base life decisions on how I should feel about the planet. I also don't need a badge on my vehicle to advertise how environmentally/politically aware I am. I just want to save a little money with gas. I'm spending close to $400 a month on gas!

100% electric motors are extremely efficient and reliable. Tesla motors has had vehicles on the road for over a decade now. They have 10 test vehicles. The one with the least miles has over 100k. The one with the most has over 300k. None of them have needed any repairs. The brakes in your Jeeps have more moving parts than the Tesla electric motors. I think in maybe another decade technology will advance us a vehicle we wouldn't be embarassed to own.
What you said. I would love to have a long range electric 4x4. Less moving parts = less to break. It would have to look cool too and not be pretentious. The tech isn't there yet. Tesla has a great product but a bit pricey and the infrastructure to support it isn't there yet.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2011, 11:50 PM   #2098
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Ksturgio- if you can get a ride to the meet., I have and extra seat, you can ride along if you want
Unread 11-25-2011, 11:54 PM   #2099
davidsonlaw
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post
JANET

Just Another Non-Existent Terminal
I know a guy who used to fly planes for Janet. He couldn't talk about it, but he did say that if you ever get within 50 feet of the plane without permission, you will get shot.

As for energy issues, don't get me started. I used to work for the local power utility, and I've been involved in the development of solar/geothermal/wind/coal and natural gas electrical generation, so I've got a thought or two. Solar is great, except it's expensive and doesn't work at night or when it's too cloudy. Wind isn't much better, because there's never any guarantee of when or where the wind will be blowing at any time. Having said that, I would love to have the $$$ to install enough PV panels on my roof to run my AC in the summer if the power goes out. This isn't driven by any motivation except a desire to not have to deal with no A/C if the power goes out.
Unread 11-25-2011, 11:59 PM   #2100
Puck81
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

hey guys how has every one been? I haven't had a chance to log on in some time. I also see a run tomorrow, any chance i could bribe a passage in some ones jeep? ( by bribe i mean pay for fuel and food ) take care and i hope every one had a great Thanksgiving!!
Puck81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.