Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread - Page 1399 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

Complete Axle Options Expanded !!!! ECGSNEW Smittybilt Gen 2 9.5 winch at JeepHut.comEnd of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!

Unread 02-06-2013, 03:12 PM   #20971
ksturgio
1997 ZJ 

Sounds like you won't be bored this weekend.

ksturgio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 03:30 PM   #20972
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

It's running an aftermarket mechanical temp gauge.

I don't know anything about Chevys, but the temp probe is on the driver side, low on the side of the block, towards the front of the engine. On the head i think To me it sounds like that would be measuring the temp of the INCOMING coolant...and if the coolant is Entering the engine at 200 then there would definitely be a problem haha.

However I don't m ow and maybe that's where the coolant temp sensor is supposed to be on what was once a 307

Maybe I should get another gauge and drop on a thermostat housing that has a hole for a temp probe?

I mean, you're supposed to measure the outgoing coolant temp right? And the coolant exits the radiator at the bottom yes?

Edit: google shows alot of them are supposed to be located on the head.

Quote:
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else!
Well I figured it up and over a period of time, This four thousand dollar car of mine, Cost fourteen thousand dollars And ninety-nine cents, well now!
- Jerry Reed

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.

Dr. Marneaus is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 03:38 PM   #20973
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powrjunkey View Post
My bet is electrical, assuming the gauge is reading correctly. If the water pump isn't working, the gauge may be reading correctly, but not accurately. If the water pump isn't flowing, it would overheat to shutdown pretty quickly. With the radiator cap off and engine running, can you see when/if the thermostat is opening? If the thermostat isn't opening, it will overheat as well. Also check all connections that have anything to do with ignition. It's a pita, but some careful diagnoses will give you a better idea where to look. You can pretty much eliminate the carb and fuel as an issue as it did the same with either carb. Could be a feed issue with fuel line, but not likely.
no t-stat in there right now. takes a lil longer to warm bup, but the exact same thing happens.

Quote:
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else!
Well I figured it up and over a period of time, This four thousand dollar car of mine, Cost fourteen thousand dollars And ninety-nine cents, well now!
- Jerry Reed

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Unread 02-06-2013, 04:06 PM   #20974
B0nez
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Dang, I am NOT jealous of all the car issues you are having Marn, I wish I had some insight that hasn't already been offered but I don't. So if you need someone to laugh and point, hem and haw at appropriate times; let me know and I'll take care of it.

On a different but sorta related note; I am curious.. anyone have any idea how this guy keeps his engine running this long? Obviously the carb and fluid reservoirs have been changed out.. but what about the oil pan? BTW - If anyone wants to educate me on what I am doing wrong to make it so I can't properly link a youtube vid I would appreciate it. In the meantime, you can just click the title.

http://youtu.be/MubbIv5CKd0
?start=" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>
B0nez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 04:07 PM   #20975
gregaf3
2013 JK Wrangler 

Most of the elelbrock manifolds have the temp sensor in the intake. This allows you to get an accurate temp reading of the coolant cycling through the engine when the thermostat is closed.

As far as not running a thermostat, I used to do it all the time in FL. After learning more and finding out that it does nothing what so ever to help the cooling system, it only hurts the warm up time. They are cheap enough that you can get a new one for under $10 so I honestly see no real reason not to use one.
Unread 02-06-2013, 04:09 PM   #20976
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by B0nez View Post
Dang, I am NOT jealous of all the car issues you are having Marn, I wish I had some insight that hasn't already been offered but I don't. So if you need someone to laugh and point, hem and haw at appropriate times; let me know and I'll take care of it.

On a different but sorta related note; I am curious.. how did this guy keep his engine running this long? Obviously the carb and fluid reservoirs have been changed out.. but what about the oil pan?

http://youtu.be/MubbIv5CKd0
well, no carb, its gotta be fuel injected. sounds alot like a diesel. so, nothing on there is stock.

he could easily have modified the oil pickup to take from the back of the pan or something.

Quote:
- Jerry Reed

Unread 02-06-2013, 04:10 PM   #20977
B0nez
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I figured as much for the carb.. it would HAVE to be injected. But what CAN you do to make an engine run at those angles with no problem?
B0nez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 04:23 PM   #20978
sirhk100

Dry sump would be your best option to be safe...

http://www.facebook.com/pages/TPF-Racing/255393361194429
sirhk100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 04:26 PM   #20979
PhotoJared
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Dry sump?
other stuff
PhotoJared is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 04:43 PM   #20980
gregaf3
2013 JK Wrangler 

dry sump systems are cool. Jared check this out Dry Sump System
Unread 02-06-2013, 05:21 PM   #20981
PhotoJared
1999 XJ Cherokee 

That was actually in response to Bonez' post, just posted late. I know what a dry sump system is lol.
other stuff
PhotoJared is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 06:13 PM   #20982
Puck81
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

B0nez you rollin' Nelson on Sunday?

Sent from my Imagination
Puck81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 06:15 PM   #20983
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck81
B0nez you rollin' Nelson on Sunday?

Sent from my Imagination
Level of difficulty? Don't want any damage before I trade mine.
Unread 02-06-2013, 06:16 PM   #20984
MMCKEIG
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powrjunkey

Level of difficulty? Don't want any damage before I trade mine.
You'll be able to do it after ur lift is installed!
MMCKEIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 06:19 PM   #20985
Puck81
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

So is it a ground clearance/wheel base thing there? I mean i have done it twice with minimal spoting and no stucks

Sent from my Imagination
Puck81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.