Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread - Page 1358 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 01-27-2013, 11:34 PM   #20356
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus

Yes and no.

Alot of it is determined by their distributors. They cannot keep the same price if their suppliers increase the cost
The gun shop on blue diamond is gouging! I can say this because they have inventory on the shelf, which means people aren't willing to pay the prices. G17 happy sticks for $100!! 17 rd g17 mags for 45! 223 for $1/rd!? If people won't pay it, prices come down.

Unread 01-27-2013, 11:35 PM   #20357
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by adams1985cj

Yep when I was active I was Egress and every last thing in an ejection system is safety wired. Now days I'm more of a crew chief with a touch of egress here and their.
I have been a crew chief on active duty for 13 years. The absolute worst things that I can think of to safety wire are the dual power brake control valve on an A-10 because you are working blind with no room and the hub caps on U-2s because there are 5 screw that you have to do with one piece of wire. Both are serious pains in the ***. I imagine the wiring in the Aces II is a pain in the *** too. Looks like some of it is really tight.

Its so short ****s like me and you can still get in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ACR View Post
My issue was I couldn't get the balls centered. I had to use some extra force to get everything lined up right. It didn't take me long.

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
andy02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2013, 11:37 PM   #20358
Raptor0206
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roobicon View Post
Yep...I drive by it everyday on my way to work and I've seen that Jeep out front for a while. Didn't know it didn't have an engine
It looks like a fun project if you could title it. 8 lug rims i wonder what it has for axles
Raptor0206 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2013, 11:49 PM   #20359
Puck81
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor0206 View Post

It looks like a fun project if you could title it. 8 lug rims i wonder what it has for axles
Its 2wd with a D60 in the rear. I think it pulled airplanes in hangers back in the day.

Sent from my Imagination
Puck81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2013, 12:02 AM   #20360
MMCKEIG
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I can almost guarantee supply is down for both certain guns and certain ammo. Think about it, if you were a gun manufacturer. Would you continue to produce a product if there was the treat that the product you are producing, you will no longer be able to sell due to a regulatory change. The simple answer is no, because if you did, you would be stuck with useless inventory.

On the ammo front, Walmart has stopped placing new orders for ammo. Walmart is the largest gun retailer in the US, if the stop something or change something drastically it can certainly "shock" the marketplace. Therefore, ammo manufacturers have also reduced production. If your largest client was Walmart and they were responsible for half of your sales, and they suddenly stopped ordering from you, you better believe you would slow up production to counter the impact of losing half of your sales. Yes you may be able to sell Walmart's product share to other businesses, however, that is not guaranteed, this creating a large risk. Plus, if a retailer as large as Walmart makes a move, it is in your best interest as a supplier to explore why this large retailer has chosen the action they did.

As far as prices go. If you are a business owner it is in your best interest to charge whatever the customer is willing to pay, you'd be stupid not to. For example, say I own a restaurant and I serve fish and chips. I want to run a 25% food cost, and the food ingredients to make my fish and chips cost me $2.50. I would charge a minimum of $10 on the menu. However, I have a competitor down the street and they charge $13 for their fish and chips, which are comparable to my product. I would be stupid not to go after that $3. So I would charge as close to that $13, since customers are obviously willing to pay for it.

Hope this all makes sense!
MMCKEIG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2013, 12:10 AM   #20361
4x4Brit

As my user name suggests, I would be very sensitive to price gouging on fish & chips ;-)
4x4Brit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2013, 12:23 AM   #20362
gregaf3
2013 JK Wrangler 

I price gouge everything on craigslist!! When I want to buy it, it is crap that I am taking off your hands as a favor. When I sell it, it is gold and I don't need to sell it. Ha ha.

My all time best is making a $500 profit on a hard top in less than 2 weeks!!

Misspelled and auto corrected on my phone
Unread 01-28-2013, 09:32 AM   #20363
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck81 View Post
Its 2wd with a D60 in the rear. I think it pulled airplanes in hangers back in the day.

Sent from my Imagination
Depends on the service it was used in. If it was Army, it might have been used to tow helicopters. If it was Navy, it might have been used for aircraft but doubtfull. If it was Air Force, probably never towed an aircraft. We use bobtails to tow ground equipment and tugs (AKA Coleman) to tow aircraft. The biggest reason is the weight difference. Actually getting the aircraft moving is pretty easy. Stopping an aircraft weighing 13+ tons with a vehicle that weighs less than 3 is not a fun proposition. Other reasons include the tugs ability for four wheel steering, four wheel drive, and some seriously heavy duty equipment. The axles on a tug are larger than a 2.5 ton rockwell.

Quote:
My issue was I couldn't get the balls centered. I had to use some extra force to get everything lined up right. It didn't take me long.

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
Unread 01-28-2013, 10:28 AM   #20364
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMCKEIG View Post
On the ammo front, Walmart has stopped placing new orders for ammo. Walmart is the largest gun retailer in the US, if the stop something or change something drastically it can certainly "shock" the marketplace. Therefore, ammo manufacturers have also reduced production. If your largest client was Walmart and they were responsible for half of your sales, and they suddenly stopped ordering from you, you better believe you would slow up production to counter the impact of losing half of your sales.

You are correct, Wal-Mart is not placing NEW orders for ammo. They still have their standing orders which are still getting filled. What they aren't doing is allowing stores to order ammo to fill backstock. The deal is that when an individual store places an order for ammo, that order goes to the WM warehouse. When the warehouse doesn't have ammo in stock, they cancel the order. Because of the rush on ammo, there is no ammo in the warehouses so the orders are being canceled. WM still has standing orders with manufacturers that are still being filled and distributed to stores. That is why ammo at WM is hit and miss. WM even has a press release out saying the same.

Quote:

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
Unread 01-28-2013, 11:18 AM   #20365
sirhk100

Okay, so... Anyplace around that's not too far of a drive to do some mild wheeling? Morbid curiosity has me wondering what this expo will do in it's current condition but the trails I know were all stuff I did with my jeep on 35's and clearance would be an issue for sure. I know there's wheeler pass but looking for something maybe a little shorter like in the 2-3 hour round trip range and I don't think wheeler is that short. Any ideas? May do it one evening this week or maybe one morning next weekend. I figure might as well see how pathetic a stock exploder is before I build it into something a bit more capable.

Hey Andy, look what I have lined up to pickup at the swapmeet. Asking price is $150 which is pretty good compared to Giant's $400 price! (not sure if anyone else will know what it's for...) I could make one myself and have the files to do it but for that price I might as well just buy it done and save the headache. Not to mention that's just his asking price right now, on the spot with cash in hand... We'll see what I can do. LOL

http://www.facebook.com/pages/TPF-Racing/255393361194429
sirhk100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2013, 11:26 AM   #20366
Puck81
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhk100 View Post
Okay, so... Anyplace around that's not too far of a drive to do some mild wheeling? Morbid curiosity has me wondering what this expo will do in it's current condition but the trails I know were all stuff I did with my jeep on 35's and clearance would be an issue for sure. I know there's wheeler pass but looking for something maybe a little shorter like in the 2-3 hour round trip range and I don't think wheeler is that short. Any ideas? May do it one evening this week or maybe one morning next weekend. I figure might as well see how pathetic a stock exploder is before I build it into something a bit more capable.

Hey Andy, look what I have lined up to pickup at the swapmeet. Asking price is $150 which is pretty good compared to Giant's $400 price! (not sure if anyone else will know what it's for...) I could make one myself and have the files to do it but for that price I might as well just buy it done and save the headache. Not to mention that's just his asking price right now, on the spot with cash in hand... We'll see what I can do. LOL
Potato ridge or tie rod canyon. Or nelson....

Sent from my Imagination
Puck81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2013, 11:34 AM   #20367
sirhk100

Only thing I know in Nelson is the water falls and I'm not sure I"ve got the ground clearance for them. Have never done either of the other two. Will a soccer mom ride be able to do them without body damage? I'd like to keep the rockers straight for now at least. I'll be building rocker guards as part of the build.

Unread 01-28-2013, 11:51 AM   #20368
MMCKEIG
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy02

You are correct, Wal-Mart is not placing NEW orders for ammo. They still have their standing orders which are still getting filled. What they aren't doing is allowing stores to order ammo to fill backstock. The deal is that when an individual store places an order for ammo, that order goes to the WM warehouse. When the warehouse doesn't have ammo in stock, they cancel the order. Because of the rush on ammo, there is no ammo in the warehouses so the orders are being canceled. WM still has standing orders with manufacturers that are still being filled and distributed to stores. That is why ammo at WM is hit and miss. WM even has a press release out saying the same.
Sounds like you need to do some research on how Walmart's supply chain works. What you stated is true for most retailers, however Walmart is completely different. You may not believe me, and that's cool, but I have done consulting for some of Walmart's suppliers! Walmart doesn't work off of standing orders anymore, they are very close to a JIT (Just in time) system.

There is a lot of research done on Walmart's supply chain, if you're interested check it out. It may be surprising, but when it comes to this stuff I actually know what I'm talking about (from first hand experience). I wasn't always in restaurants.
MMCKEIG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2013, 12:11 PM   #20369
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhk100 View Post
A single swing for $150? That is a damn good price! I am really torn on looking for parts at the swapmeet. Part of me says buy what you can. Another part of me says wait until you have the truck. I am so torn! LOL

Quote:

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
Unread 01-28-2013, 12:17 PM   #20370
sirhk100

Wait till you have a truck! There will be another swap meet next year, same time frame and by then you'll likely have the truck and likely know 100% exactly what's going on. Not sure your time frame but that's personally what I would suggest... Unless there's stuff you just absolutely 100% can't live without! LOL You can do the build in stages but honestly, I'd just wait till you have all the parts in a pile ready to go and knock it out in one solid marathon build session cause it'll all flow and work better together. Things won't look like an after though when you decide midway 6 months into that you're changing direction. Instead knock it all out over a matter of a month or two once you have the parts and get it over once and for all. I've done the long build it as budget allows way and Now I've done a full speed all parts in hand type build a few times and the end result is always better going the 2nd route. Not to mention all the steps you don't take backwards having to fix the truck cause you weren't patient and wanted to use it eventhough it wasn't finished and ended up breaking things along the way too.

It'll probably be at least another $300-400 on top of that for 6 heim joints and the tubing along with weld in bungs depending what I end up with to finish it up.

For the swap, right now my plan is to drive my exploder out there with my small enclosed. I'll be heading down early/mid afternoon on Sat and should be back home late morning/early afternoon that Sunday. I'm going to sleep on my cot inside my trailer. There's room for a 2nd cot in there and also the back seats of the exploder fold down flat and I know I used to put an air mattress in the back of it or heavy padding to sleep on. I think right now Merrick want's to go and you so I'm sure we can figure it all out sleeping wise. Last 2 years in a row I've walked it till about 11-midnightish. Then alarm was set and I was back in there around 5:30am. Usually on the road home by 9am'ish with a stop for breakfast somewhere. I think entrance is $10 and they give you a wristband to come and go all you want. I'm bringing a 2 wheel dollie for sure. Red wagons are a hot ticket too... The whole area is paved and it's nice for carrying stacks of tires or say a heavy *** third member. LOL (stuff from last year) Or say random suspension parts... LOL

This is what I brought home last year...

5 gallons shock oil, $50 vs $400 retail, sealed brand new
strange nodular 3rd, 35 spline, spool, 6.0 gears, $650 vs $1400 retail and it was brand new.
Parker Pumper, $40
GPS brand new, $400
Play helmet wired brand new $100
Sway bar setup for my truck, used $100
Center console, brand new, $50
Fenders were $250 brand new for the pair
Light bar actuator, $80 vs $500 new
Dump cans were $80 each
tie downs were like $5 a pack
Girlscout cookies were a couple bucks...

Granted, most of that last year was for the race truck but just that math alone, you can see why it's worth the drive out if you're really serious about shopping.

Heck, get your jeep sold and bring cash to buy something to just drive home!!! LOL Last year Big Mac rolled in around 6:30am for sale with a price tag of $80K if I remember right which was insanely cheap! You should've heard that big block idle thru the swap meet! Everyone stopped and stared as he drove by to park it for sale. It's an old truck with a MEAN motor and some crazy suspension.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.