Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread - Page 1319 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 01-14-2013, 11:50 AM   #19771
sirhk100

A bit of a bummer, the only camera we got any real footage from was the rear facing one but we watched it last night and you can tell it's just hours and hours of endless abuse that no typical vehicle should ever see in it's lifetime let alone virtually every time it gets driven.

Agree'd on better planning. I've been a one man show for the most part and it's been go go go all the way up till he drove off to the starting line. Waiting for him to come by that first lap for me was a little bit nervous but also a bit relaxing finally for me personally! Next time, whenever it is, I plan to hopefully have pit plans much better in place. It's been 5+ years since I've actively been on or involved with a team as a pit crew or co-driver so it's a bit of catching back up to how it all works again.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/TPF-Racing/255393361194429
sirhk100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2013, 12:16 PM   #19772
ksturgio
1997 ZJ 

I'm more then happy to help in the future I had such a good time. I talked it over with the wife and we may be buying a ranger or taco after we finally get a permanent residence. She was actually kind of excited about it.
ksturgio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2013, 12:26 PM   #19773
sirhk100

I'll say it right now, if you've got a budget, buy something already or as built as you can afford. It's cheaper that way. Also, an older I-beam style ranger is pretty much your cheapest platform to build from. With that said though, toss the word "cheap" out of your vocabulary if you're thinking about getting into this end of the offroad hobby. If you're like me, I've already put this bug in Andy's ear, a 4WD older TTB style ranger can be built for really not that much more money then a 2WD ranger ($2000 more probably total) and it'll work equally as well and you have the luxury of 4wd for silt or rock crawling even. 14" of travel is pretty easy to pull out of a 4wd ranger these days and some are pushing upwards of 20".

Unread 01-14-2013, 12:49 PM   #19774
ksturgio
1997 ZJ 

Sounds good that is what I was figuring. I've been looking over a few websites and forums torturing myself. I'm definitely hooked now.
ksturgio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2013, 12:58 PM   #19775
sirhk100

BTW, we pull 17" of travel up front in the race truck and 18" in the rear. The front will go faster, it's the rear suspension that's holding the truck up. To see the difference in what rear suspension will do, in comparison, this truck has 15" of travel in the front with similar shock setup as ours but the rear suspension is linked and is pulling 20+ inches. Our front suspension is every bit as capable as this truck, our engine and rear leaf springs are the limiting factor in the truck but we're totally fine with that and it's part of why we chose to build the truck for the class we did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSMr4xV1qZw

Unread 01-14-2013, 01:14 PM   #19776
B0nez
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Sucks to hear that you guys aren't going to get to play with the new toy as much as you anticipated right away, but glad to hear that you are going to get some time to work on yours.

Thanks for the pics & vids, now I can better explain to the wife why your truck really is as cool as I keep telling her it is
B0nez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2013, 02:00 PM   #19777
sirhk100

Yeah, little bit of a bummer but honestly, I didn't just build it for seat time. I actually somewhat enjoy doing these kind of builds which is why if time allows I'm typically down to help out people with similar type projects and my payment is virtually nothing. I am looking forward to getting my truck dialed in a lot better soon though for sure and I'll still have this truck out on occasion keeping the tires round and bearings lubed and will probably try and maybe do a race in the fall with it myself on my dime.

Unread 01-14-2013, 02:05 PM   #19778
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhk100 View Post
If you're like me, I've already put this bug in Andy's ear, a 4WD older TTB style ranger can be built for really not that much more money then a 2WD ranger ($2000 more probably total) and it'll work equally as well and you have the luxury of 4wd for silt or rock crawling even. 14" of travel is pretty easy to pull out of a 4wd ranger these days and some are pushing upwards of 20".
You did more than put a bug in my ear. The decision has been made. I spend more time trolling CL, RD, and DR looking at trucks than I do on here. I talked with Garza and Aaron about my plans. You have already heard them. The only thing that could change my mind now is to ride in a truck and decide that I really don't like it but I don't see that happening. (Even if that were to happen, I would still work the pits. That was awesome.) Short version, Jeep is going up for sale before the ink even dries from buying Gregs VW. The money made from the Jeep will come pretty close to paying off the VW. After that, a truck will be added to the stable.

Its so short ****s like me and you can still get in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ACR View Post
My issue was I couldn't get the balls centered. I had to use some extra force to get everything lined up right. It didn't take me long.

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
andy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2013, 02:24 PM   #19779
sirhk100

I know the jeep guys probably think I'm full of it but trust me, a built TTB will hang with all but the gnarliest jeeps on the trails and it'll get you there way faster and way smoother! Until you've wheeled one or seen it, it's just hard to believe but it's true.

This is the same truck and it's 4wd. Sure, the wheelbase might be a bit of a butt kicker on tight tech trails but what it lacks there will probably be made up on the highspeed runs elsewhere.

Notice it's got rock sliders!!!!

This is where I see my exploder hopefully by end of summer...

Unread 01-14-2013, 02:29 PM   #19780
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy02

You did more than put a bug in my ear. The decision has been made. I spend more time trolling CL, RD, and DR looking at trucks than I do on here. I talked with Garza and Aaron about my plans. You have already heard them. The only thing that could change my mind now is to ride in a truck and decide that I really don't like it but I don't see that happening. (Even if that were to happen, I would still work the pits. That was awesome.) Short version, Jeep is going up for sale before the ink even dries from buying Gregs VW. The money made from the Jeep will come pretty close to paying off the VW. After that, a truck will be added to the stable.
Wow!!...wow! Just....wow! Well, I hope the sale goes well, and you are able to get/build exactly what you want on the cheap. Don't exile yourself from here though...
Unread 01-14-2013, 02:56 PM   #19781
B0nez
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhk100 View Post
I know the jeep guys probably think I'm full of it but trust me, a built TTB will hang with all but the gnarliest jeeps on the trails and it'll get you there way faster and way smoother! Until you've wheeled one or seen it, it's just hard to believe but it's true.
I believe it.. heck, there are a number of vehicles out there that will do what a Jeep will do, and do it better - that can be said about most things that people pour a lot of time and money into. What can I say though, it's a Jeep thing. There is something about a Jeep that screams freedom; whether its the removable top/doors, the go anywhere in the world mentality, or maybe its the unique body style that stands out in any crowd, or the roles it has played in history over the ages.

Sure, there are really cool trucks that can do it, and maybe even do it better, but they won't ever replace a Jeep, and that's what makes Jeeps so cool.

That being said; I am a fan of anything that enables people to get outside and off of the beaten path. I really miss riding a dirt bike and I am bummed about not being able to go for a ride in the truck, but I am glad that stuff like this exists so that I can still go exploring while it's still legal and I am still able. So Jeep/Truck/Bike/SideBySide.. whatever it is it's good in my book!
Unread 01-14-2013, 02:59 PM   #19782
MMCKEIG
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powrjunkey View Post
Wow!!...wow! Just....wow! Well, I hope the sale goes well, and you are able to get/build exactly what you want on the cheap. Don't exile yourself from here though...
Yeah because all we will then have left to make fun of is Powr's horrible economics and Puck's robustness! haha

It's still fun with the Andy short jokes.
MMCKEIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2013, 03:03 PM   #19783
Puck81
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMCKEIG View Post

Yeah because all we will then have left to make fun of is Powr's horrible economics and Puck's robustness! haha

It's still fun with the Andy short jokes.
Rofl..

Sent from my Imagination
Puck81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2013, 03:25 PM   #19784
sirhk100

About the only thing I miss from my jeep and have missed everytime I've owned a jeep and then sold it is being able to have the top off it. That is really really really nice! Other then that I know for a fact from previous experience that I'll like my expo once it's built up to my liking better then I will have ever liked my jeep. Just the comfort part alone is better in my eyes but then again, that's what it's all about. What's better in my eyes. I will say it here and I've said it to Jason many times along the build that I like the jeep crowd much better then the prerunner crowd. The forums alone are night and day difference. Jeep forums are generally cool people with a handfull of idiots where the prerunner forums are mostly idiots and you gotta weed thru to find the handful of decents. The race forums are generally pretty good though cause it's usually not the punk kids out there actually racing since it costs money to actually race. Funny that everyone in our pit Sat was family or related to this forum and none of our actual high speed desert friends showed up. A couple stopped by the house yesterday but...

Bonez, I've gotta spare dirt bike... If it's the lack of a bike that's holding you that's a lame excuse to not ride! I'm going to actually try to get my butt out this Sat for the first time in ages if my bike will fire up! LOL

Oh and...

Unread 01-14-2013, 05:28 PM   #19785
B0nez
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhk100
Bonez, I've gotta spare dirt bike... If it's the lack of a bike that's holding you that's a lame excuse to not ride! I'm going to actually try to get my butt out this Sat for the first time in ages if my bike will fire up! LOL

Oh and...
Dang that truck is purty!!

Thanks for the offer, but I can't do the bike/truck for health reasons, not cause the option isn't there. I've got a dirt bike that's been sitting in my parents back yard for years.. I parked it there and haven't ridden it since. Last few times I rode it (before I parked it) I ended up in lots of pain and coughing up blood each time. All of the hard bouncing doesn't work well with my insides anymore so I stick with the low speeds on those bumps now. Schedule permitting, I am definitely down to come and watch you guys play though!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.