Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread - Page 130 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 11-10-2011, 10:55 AM   #1936
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

The mountain was essentially hollowed out which is an incredible risk. The Department of Defense element added to our curiosity. A little research discovered the reason for the mining urgency and government connection. This mountain was mined for uranium. After spending a day in there, I hope I get super powers.

YouStupidBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2011, 10:57 AM   #1937
davidsonlaw
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouStupidBunny View Post
The mountain was essentially hollowed out which is an incredible risk. The Department of Defense element added to our curiosity. A little research discovered the reason for the mining urgency and government connection. This mountain was mined for uranium. After spending a day in there, I hope I get super powers.
Hopefully you were wearing your lead lined undies.
Unread 11-10-2011, 11:06 AM   #1938
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsonlaw View Post
Hopefully you were wearing your lead lined undies.
I now have seedless grapes.
Unread 11-10-2011, 11:25 AM   #1939
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Did you pull that stuff out with you? I bet if that company still exists that they would be interested in seeing that.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2011, 11:33 AM   #1940
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

No, it's all still in there. After that was found we were still thinking we'd have to ascend the same way we descended. Carrying more than we came in with wouldn't have been a good idea. The picture weighed much less than the artifacts.

The Sunshine Biscuit Company is still around, but you'll recognize them by other names. In 1996, the company was purchased by Keebler. In 2000, Keebler was purchased by Kellogg.
Unread 11-10-2011, 12:23 PM   #1941
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

I'm just gonna post my standard "man thats so freakin cool!" comment...because it is!

Quote:
Well I figured it up and over a period of time, This four thousand dollar car of mine, Cost fourteen thousand dollars And ninety-nine cents, well now! - Jerry Reed

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2011, 12:37 PM   #1942
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

You spelunkers are making it harder and harder to hide bodies around here.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2011, 01:38 PM   #1943
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
You spelunkers are making it harder and harder to hide bodies around here.
From what we've read, there are many dead bodies in these mines. Lots of ghost stories and legends. It seems that if a miner died in a mine and the body could not be recovered, they would collapse that section of the mine and leave a memorial on the wall.

We came across a collapsed section of a mine with a large cross scratched into the wall. Not sure if that was a grave marker.

Some of the more interesting legends I read about were of lost treasure. Over the last century many treasures have been found and lost. One that comes to mind is local.

It's about a man who was a nomadic prospector. He would travel looking for precious metals. On his way back to Utah, he came across some blue mud seeping from a rock crevice. He'd never seen blue mud before, so he filled a tobacco tin with a sample and headed home.

Back in Utah, he had the mud analyzed and it was found to be encrusted with rough diamonds. It was said to contain over 100 carats.

He went back trying to relocate the blue mud and was able to locate the valley and general area, but never relocated the source.

If you ever want to look in the area where he claims to have lost the diamonds, here are directions: Take Blue Diamond Road. The name makes a little more sense now, doesn't it?
Unread 11-10-2011, 03:37 PM   #1944
adams1985cj
1985 CJ7 

Anyone need anything. Lol
Unread 11-11-2011, 02:44 PM   #1945
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

People on Craigslists pet section have no sense of humor. My account is suspended again.
cl-ad.jpg  
Unread 11-11-2011, 02:45 PM   #1946
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Happy Veterans Day to all who served. It is much appreciated.
Unread 11-11-2011, 02:53 PM   #1947
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

There are so many interesting pictures from the past few days, it's difficult to decide which to post.

This one was interesting for a few reasons. An intact rail, inside the mine, underwater. Had the water not been so clear, continuing would have been more dangerous. With unclear water in a mine, it's easy to miss a winze (vertical shaft).
dcp_5434.jpg  

Last edited by YouStupidBunny; 11-11-2011 at 02:53 PM.. Reason: Forgot to add photo.
Unread 11-11-2011, 03:02 PM   #1948
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

I've seen places like this in caves. but never in a mine. It occurs naturally in caves when the ground stores large volumes of water and steadily releases minerals. I suspect this is a natural cave that the miners tunneled into.
p1060359.jpg  
Unread 11-11-2011, 03:06 PM   #1949
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Here is a flooded winze (vertical shaft). Not sure how deep this went. We leaned out as far as we could, but still couldn't get a good angle straight down. We weren't properly outfitted for cave diving.
p1060650.jpg  
Unread 11-11-2011, 03:11 PM   #1950
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

See what I mean? All of these pictures are starting to look alike to me. I guess that's all for now.

We had a great time revisiting with friends, but they flew back home a few hours ago. In the five days they were here, we spent maybe 5 hours on the Strip. Most of that was at the buffets. The rest of our time was spent offroad in the mountains and mines. The most serious injury was my thumb split open on barb wire.

I need a nap.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.