Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread - Page 123 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 11-02-2011, 06:39 PM   #1831
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

This structure was found maybe 200 feet below the surface. I'm not sure what its purpose could have been.

img_2355.jpg  
YouStupidBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2011, 06:40 PM   #1832
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Dinner time! I have some ribs that have been slow cooking all day waiting for me. I'll try to post yesterdays pictures tomorrow.
Unread 11-02-2011, 07:07 PM   #1833
davidsonlaw
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouStupidBunny View Post
Here is the Sultan mine in 1921 and how it stands today. Not much of it left.

The Sultan mine is southwest of Goodsprings close to the CA border.
I went out to the Sultan Mine site a few weekends ago. Pretty cool place to hike around. It looks like it was a pretty impressive sized mine site, at least compared to some of the surrounding sites. Some of the pictures available online of the Sultan Mine are impressive.
Unread 11-02-2011, 07:08 PM   #1834
davidsonlaw
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Here's another box of dynamite. If I thought I could safely get it up with me, I would have taken it home.
It's only 40% strength ... how dangerous could it be?
Unread 11-02-2011, 07:21 PM   #1835
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Not sure what they mean by 40% strength. I would think if they wanted weaker dynamite they would just make smaller sticks. I'm sure there's a good reason why they wouldn't just do that.

Good thing I saw you on the news, Davidson. Otherwise, you would have missed the show since I had no cell signal on that lower level. When we got to the garage I got a voicemail message, but when I tried to retrieve it, there was just dead air. No missed calls showing up either. If that was you that called and you got a "disconnected" message, that was my number. My number isn't really disconnected. I just have that message recorded as my outbound voicemail message so people don't leave me messages.
Unread 11-02-2011, 08:05 PM   #1836
davidsonlaw
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Not sure what they mean by 40% strength. I would think if they wanted weaker dynamite they would just make smaller sticks. I'm sure there's a good reason why they wouldn't just do that.

Good thing I saw you on the news, Davidson. Otherwise, you would have missed the show since I had no cell signal on that lower level. When we got to the garage I got a voicemail message, but when I tried to retrieve it, there was just dead air. No missed calls showing up either. If that was you that called and you got a "disconnected" message, that was my number. My number isn't really disconnected. I just have that message recorded as my outbound voicemail message so people don't leave me messages.
I might have spotted you. I knew you had a Filipino parent or parents, and I was about to start walking around and introducing myself to anyone who could have fit the bill. I was the one that tried calling, but I figured that I would either spot you quickly or I would try calling again. I thought that the message was odd, but the beep at the end sounded like voicemail, so I figured I hadn't hit a disconnected number after all.
Unread 11-02-2011, 08:12 PM   #1837
davidsonlaw
2013 JK Wrangler 

Oh ... I've broken down my Clark County trail data by some smaller geographical areas ... adding new stuff weekly. I've got a lot of stuff in the pipeline from Goodsprings, Mt Charleston and the Desert NWR. Haven't done cool interactive clicky maps, but that might come some time in the future.
Unread 11-02-2011, 11:45 PM   #1838
davidsonlaw
2013 JK Wrangler 

Interesting youtube channel with videos of a lot of mine explorations from around here.

http://www.youtube.com/user/fhood
Unread 11-03-2011, 09:06 AM   #1839
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsonlaw View Post
Oh ... I've broken down my Clark County trail data by some smaller geographical areas ... adding new stuff weekly. I've got a lot of stuff in the pipeline from Goodsprings, Mt Charleston and the Desert NWR. Haven't done cool interactive clicky maps, but that might come some time in the future.
Looks good, Davidson. I've been tossing around the idea of building a simple site, but nothing as intensive as yours. Mostly, just a place to park the thousands of pictures I've been collecting. I think bandwidth for such a picture site would kill me.
Unread 11-03-2011, 09:07 AM   #1840
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Unread 11-03-2011, 09:20 AM   #1841
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Here are a few pictures collected over the past few days.

This mine didn't look like much at all from the surface. Usually, you can spot a large mine network from the surface just by the size of the tailing pile outside. We've seen tailing piles taller than this entire hill, so we were surprised of the network inside that spanned multiple levels.
001a.jpg  
Unread 11-03-2011, 09:26 AM   #1842
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

A few posts ago, I uploaded an image of a similar structure and didn't know its purpose. We think we figured it out. These structures appear to be supports. Hard to see here, but there are collapsed backs (ceilings) all over this area. There are fractures from one end of the ceiling to the other and huge boulders that have come loose on the floors. The only thing holding up the tons of rock above is that stack of support timber.
032a.jpg  
Unread 11-03-2011, 09:27 AM   #1843
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Here's another example of the many dangers in a mine. Even with all the support, some supports are still failing. This is the main beam of an ore chute that is collapsing.
036a.jpg  
Unread 11-03-2011, 09:31 AM   #1844
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

This appears to be a steam tank at the lowest level of the mine. This one is built with hammered in rivets. Not sure if I would trust that tank under pressure. There is larger high pressure steam tank which fed into this one. The larger one was deep in a sump (pit) nearby still in a coal pile. Although there was a large vent shaft, the air quality must have been extremely poor especially when lit. I couldn't imagine how difficult it would be to work in those conditions.
026a.jpg  
Unread 11-03-2011, 09:34 AM   #1845
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Here is an incline rail which lead to the surface. On the upper levels, we could see where the tracks used to be, but this is the only part of the rail we found. At the surface, there was a large block where the motor for the winch that raised the ore carts was likely mounted.
062a.jpg  

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.