Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread - Page 1205 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

ECGS Fall Sale - 10% Off EVERYTHING!!Gear Packages Available! Your # 1 Diff Shop is ROCKRIDGE 4ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 11-20-2012, 01:24 PM   #18061
gregaf3
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post
heaven forbid you have to drill a hole, you might slip and chip your door hinges
so are you telling me if you paid over 30k for a car you would drill holes in the side and mount a cage like this?

or like this

or even worse

when for a few hundred dollars more you could have a better built one that can be removed and sold with no visible signs on the Jeep

Unread 11-20-2012, 01:27 PM   #18062
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregaf3 View Post
so are you telling me if you paid over 30k for a car you would drill holes in the side and mount a cage
Nope, I wouldn't drill holes. I would have Marns woman come by with a sammich then I would make her do it. That way if she screwed it up, it wouldn't be my fault!

Its so short ****s like me and you can still get in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ACR View Post
My issue was I couldn't get the balls centered. I had to use some extra force to get everything lined up right. It didn't take me long.

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
andy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2012, 01:38 PM   #18063
sirhk100

I deal with having to design non drill stuff all day long! It's a pain in the butt but the sales show the demand for it!

As to if I would do it? I have no clue! I've never owned a vehicle that I paid more then about $8K for up front. LOL I also haven't had a car payment in quite a while! I'm a cash buyer typically hence the cheap rides!

I have cut the roof off a perfectly good $14K truck though once!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/TPF-Racing/255393361194429
sirhk100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2012, 01:40 PM   #18064
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
so are you telling me if you paid over 30k for a car you would drill holes in the side and mount a cage like this?

or like this

or even worse

when for a few hundred dollars more you could have a better built one that can be removed and sold with no visible signs on the Jeep

I'm just sayin i wouldnt be too opposed to drilling holes in general if the product was what i wanted.

Those look like poor examples of mounting locations, therefore i would not drill.

lighten up francis, I'm just givin' you a hard time

And also, yes I get it, not everybody drives big old ****ty jeeps, haha.

Quote:
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else!
Well I figured it up and over a period of time, This four thousand dollar car of mine, Cost fourteen thousand dollars And ninety-nine cents, well now!
- Jerry Reed

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2012, 01:41 PM   #18065
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy02 View Post
Nope, I wouldn't drill holes. I would have Marns woman come by with a sammich then I would make her do it. That way if she screwed it up, it wouldn't be my fault!

Chances are good she would screw it up. I'd have her make you another sammich as payment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhk100 View Post
I've never owned a vehicle that I paid more then about $8K for up front. LOL I also haven't had a car payment in quite a while! I'm a cash buyer typically hence the cheap rides!
das the way to do it. no payments son!

I'm focussing allll my monies on getting out of debt. stupid student loans! imagine the extra cash I'll have for investing and growing when i no longer have to pay a credit card or student loan every month!

Quote:
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else!
Well I figured it up and over a period of time, This four thousand dollar car of mine, Cost fourteen thousand dollars And ninety-nine cents, well now!
- Jerry Reed

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Unread 11-20-2012, 01:49 PM   #18066
sirhk100

Quote:
I'm focussing allll my monies on getting out of debt. stupid student loans! imagine the extra cash I'll have for investing and growing when i no longer have to pay a credit card or student loan every month!
Only debt I have involves a house in Arizona and a house in Vegas. Az debt is paid by tenants and I'd be paying rent no matter what here in Vegas so I put it towards myself. I have a visa and a discover which I actively use both but also pay in full every month. Having a Mommy that's retired from the banking industry kinda forces the living within your means thing down your throat growing up hence the way I am.

Also, the nice thing about no car payments is when you sell a jeep for $9K and a Mazda for $6K that all goes right into your savings account! LOL

Then again, I don't have a smart phone, a thin fancy flat screen TV, a neato new computer built in the last 5 years, a DVR or any of that other crap that costs money. I do on the other hand have some fun to show for it and don't have to flinch when I on a whim decide to skip outta town and drop cash on a trip or something cause I don't have the bills from the debt following me thru life. I often wonder what people's monthly average bills are like cause I know mine aren't that much. Heck, the times I have a roomie (that actually pays rent) my monthly bills are awesome! LOL I did once look up the average American's savings account balance figures and I'd be absolutely freaking out and stressed if that's where I was! One single life incident could put you to a point where you get to spend years and years trying to recover from it.

Unread 11-20-2012, 01:49 PM   #18067
gregaf3
2013 JK Wrangler 

at least you can write off the interest from the student loans. Now the credit cards... those are a different story. but you should still be putting money away as you are paying them off. I have been saving for retirement since I was 19, debt comes and goes but as long as you are consistently putting money away it will add up. Life happens, things break, people die, weddings... if you put off saving until that is all done you will find yourself old and broke.
Unread 11-20-2012, 01:58 PM   #18068
sirhk100

Quote:
if you put off saving until that is all done you will find yourself old and broke.
LOL, those $6000 in IRA's I've had since I was 20 sure haven't done jack for me! I've listened to a ton of people whine about their 401K's over the past 5+ years. I never had a 401K option till about 2 years ago so I almost wonder if I'm ahead in that aspect having never gone into it? Who knows... I do know I've got a decent savings but I really do wish I knew how to invest or even had the slightest knowledge of it cause I think my money could do more for me then sitting in a savings account looking cool and tempting me to buy more cars! LOL Wait, how much is Power asking again?

Retirement? What's that? My parents pulled it off at a super young age but I sure don't see that in my future! I see working for my entire life but hopefully never being on edge and having a somewhat comfy safety blanket at least for when times get tough.

Unread 11-20-2012, 02:05 PM   #18069
gregaf3
2013 JK Wrangler 

haha, if you want to keep the money accessible and make more money than savings then look into CD's. It is a lower rate than full investing, but it is secure. You can also layer your CD's to have them come available every other month or whatever suits your needs. This way your money is not always tied up, but it is earning a higher rate than your savings account. If you have really good chunk you could always see about getting a money market account. You are on the right track though, over the long term real estate has been a good investment.
Unread 11-20-2012, 02:09 PM   #18070
MMCKEIG
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Once I get tenure as a college professor my life is set. Can work as long as I want to and can never get fired. The sweet life! haha
MMCKEIG is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2012, 02:16 PM   #18071
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
at least you can write off the interest from the student loans. Now the credit cards... those are a different story. but you should still be putting money away as you are paying them off. I have been saving for retirement since I was 19, debt comes and goes but as long as you are consistently putting money away it will add up. Life happens, things break, people die, weddings... if you put off saving until that is all done you will find yourself old and broke.
Yes and no.

Debt does not come and go though, debt just goes!

Sorry, I'm on the Dave Ramsey plan, totally changed the way I view money. If i have debt, I owe somebody money. Who am i to go on a vacation or buy myself something big if i owe somebody else money?

the debtor is slave to the lender. When I'm in debt, i;m literally working a job in order to give somebody else my money. Debt is not okay. We have been caught up with the idea that its okay to be in debt. The bottom line is that we spend money we dont have, to buy thinkgs we dont need, to impress people we dont like

Anyway, also, saving will not get you rich or fund your retirement. Investing will, specifically in proven mutural funds, but that comes later.

I have a small emergency fund for anything that comes along. But aside from my monthly budget (which includes small amounts for spending, entertainment, eating out, etc) every penny above that amount goes to pay off debt, not into savings. why would I save money if I owe somebody money? Sucks. I got caught in the trap of spending money i didnt have, and now I'm getting out of it, and never going into debt again*

*The only 'okay' debt is house debt.

Again, just going off of the teachings of Mr. Ramsey. Not looking to make a conversation out of it, those are my views and my plan, and i'm psyched about it, I'm planning to be debt free in 18 months!

THEN I'll save for the house, the cars, the vacations, and will invest for retirement. Your number one wealth building tool is your income. You cant use your income to build wealth when you're paying it to somebody else.

Quote:
- Jerry Reed

Unread 11-20-2012, 02:22 PM   #18072
gregaf3
2013 JK Wrangler 

I am more for the Robert Kiyosaki methods. It is not about anything but cash flow. You need to have more coming in than going out.
Unread 11-20-2012, 02:24 PM   #18073
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
I am more for the Robert Kiyosaki methods. It is not about anything but cash flow. You need to have more coming in than going out.
I 100% agree with that.

Quote:
- Jerry Reed

Unread 11-20-2012, 02:24 PM   #18074
sirhk100

Quote:
It is a lower rate than full investing, but it is secure. You can also layer your CD's to have them come available every other month or whatever suits your needs.

You are on the right track though, over the long term real estate has been a good investment.

See the funny part is I'm so investment stupid that much of the first part above might as well be written in russian. I know how to put money in my bank account and just not spend it. I know what the word secure means, like I have a bike lock and I think my bike is secure when I lock it up so I know it's something like that but when I'm just handing my money off to some person in a suit I feel like the word "secure" has a little different meaning. "layering"... Heck, CD's... My Mom said the same thing and maybe I should check with my bank and see what the going rate is on some CD's. My reply was something like "but mom, remember when I got caught shop lifting CD's back in High School? I had to do communtiy service, write some essays and you guys were PISSED last time I did something with CD's" BTW, it was an Ozzy Osborne CD at a Target in san diego! Damn those undercover shopping people! Now I get the sweats thinking about pocketing a jolly rancher off the counter next to the register! LOL

Seriously though I'm like the most money investing stupid person out there.

Like you say if it's a decent amount look into a money marketing thing. What's a decent amount? $1000, $10000, $50000, $100000?

I feel like if I sold off some toys like another dirt bike, the pool table that collects laundry, maybe a trailer or a fully caged prerunner truck I'd actually have whatever that "decent amount" is but maybe I'm wrong. I pull this thought of a "decent amount" based on what I see as averages cause I know I'm above that. LOL

And it's not that I make that much money, I just live with in my means or well, under my means actually. Heck, this race truck build has been a savior!!! Has anyone heard of me doing virtually anything in the last 6 months at night or on weekends? How much $ do you think I've spent lately? Answer, virtually zero cause the race truck is funded by the owner, not me but it is sucking up all my $ spending time. I actually thanked him for that! LOL

On the other hand I've joked about it many times! I really do think I could make a pretty damn good slum lord and I'm pretty sure I could go comfortably pickup another property right now with this housing market and be okay even if it wasn't rented for a bit. Granted I might not be burning gas like I do right now but I could make ends meet. I don't know, something about houses makes me feel better cause I have something substantial made of dirt and lumber and material to show for rather then a piece of paper with a number attached to it. I guess I fear the dollar becoming worthless someday but then again so could the piece of paper that says I have some dirt somewhere. LOL

It's all a crap shoot right now I guess. The one thing is I could always take my money and run to a nice beach in baja and exchange it for a wheelbarrow of pesos and probably drink till i die! LOL

Unread 11-20-2012, 02:35 PM   #18075
sirhk100

Quote:
Again, just going off of the teachings of Mr. Ramsey. Not looking to make a conversation out of it, those are my views and my plan, .

Yeah, screw this conversation, lets make fun of Power!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.