Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread - Page 120 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 10-30-2011, 11:01 AM   #1786
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

When we first moved here, we went looking for the the Hidden Forest Cabin in that area once. Gave up after almost an hour of hiking.

We spent most of the rest of the morning and afternoon heading northwest, along the edge of a small mountain until we came across this pictured below. In the distance we saw dozens more. It had a "Hills Have Eyes" feel to it.

Turns out we wandered into a military air identification and bombing range. You'd think places like that would be clearly marked. On our way back south to 95 we saw the sign that said, "Military Training Area. Tuck head between legs. Kiss own as s goodbye.". Don't know how we missed that.

Haven't been back since. We found the place to be hours of washboard trails. My back hurts just thinking about it. What else is out there to see?

Have a look on GoogleEarth. There are tanks everywhere out there.
36°40'12.20"N 115°29'15.85"W

dsc03462.jpg  
YouStupidBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2011, 11:03 AM   #1787
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

The above was in response to a post someone posted and deleted. I'm not crazy!
Unread 10-30-2011, 11:07 AM   #1788
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazepsi View Post
...when you go in the gas station, does teller usually know if their gas is with ethanol or 100%?
Probably not. It's more likely that the locally owned stations will have ethanol flavored gas since it's the cheapest.

As of now, stations in Nevada aren't required to post ethanol content. It's more of a courtesy. It annoys me to see the "May contain up to 10% ethanol" stickers at pumps. If we're buying something, we should be aware of what we are buying.
Unread 10-30-2011, 11:13 AM   #1789
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazepsi View Post
I ddnt have enough sleep last time and the mood is not 100%. Soon again...
If you still have Tuesdays and Wednesdays off, maybe Wednesday would be better for you? Just let me know when you want to go again and we'll make time.
Unread 10-30-2011, 11:20 AM   #1790
davidsonlaw
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouStupidBunny View Post
The above was in response to a post someone posted and deleted. I'm not crazy!
I posted earlier and tried to include a picture, but it didn't work, so I deleted the post. I was surprised by how interesting the Joe May Road was, and the Cow Camp Road up there was interesting as well. If you head west from that Alamo Road, you will get into military territory sooner or later.

I'm surprised when some things aren't marked when lots of stupid things are. Yesterday, I took the Gass Peak Road, which on the map looks like it dumps you into North Las Vegas. However, it actually dumps you into an area of Nellis AFB with shooting ranges. I beat a hasty retreat out of there.
Unread 10-30-2011, 12:26 PM   #1791
blazepsi
2001 WJ 

Quote:
When we first moved here, we went looking for the the Hidden Forest Cabin in that area once. Gave up after almost an hour of hiking.
I heard about this Hidden Forest Cabin. I bought a DS from this guy with 8" Red Cherokee and he mentioned about a trail and at the end of a trail youll have to walk anout 5 miles to get to a rental cabin... Sounds interesting. I wonder if there is a site of it...

I posted a pick of his awesome ride maybe some here knows him...
216972_1847945359497_1266575557_31592713_1131038_n.jpg  

Last edited by blazepsi; 10-30-2011 at 12:28 PM.. Reason: I posted a pick of his awesome ride maybe some here knows him... :)
blazepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2011, 12:43 PM   #1792
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Nice looking exocage on that.

Vehicle traffic to the Hidden Forest Cabin has been closed for years. Long before I moved here 5 years ago. It's about an 11 mile round trip hike from the parking area. There's no charge to use it, but there's a chance it won't be private if you choose to spend the night.

Here are coordinates to the cabin:
36°37'54.06"N 115°12'27.41"W

Here are coordinates to the parking area and hiking trail head:
36°37'44.62"N 115°17'16.28"W

Here's a picture of the cabin I found online.
1745-hiddencabin.jpg  
Unread 10-30-2011, 01:54 PM   #1793
Raptor0206
1985 CJ7 

I think we might run out to nellis/apex today
Raptor0206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2011, 03:09 PM   #1794
blazepsi
2001 WJ 

Tnx YSB... I guess i can use a mountain bike to get there fast...
Unread 10-30-2011, 03:39 PM   #1795
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Good luck with the mountain bike. Most of the trail is deep, loose, small rock. It'll ride like beach sand.

I wouldn't mind trying it again someday, but if I do I'd want to spend the night and rest before the hike back. I just don't want to leave my Jeep out there exposed.
Unread 10-30-2011, 03:43 PM   #1796
blazepsi
2001 WJ 

...oppss.. i guess no go for MB.
Unread 10-30-2011, 08:10 PM   #1797
MikeSW214
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
No, I think you got it right the first time. There will likely come a day when it is mandatory because some believe it's better for all of us.

Back in Florida, there was vehicle emission testing because someone thought it was better for the environment. After 10 years, there were several independant studies on the effect of vehicle emission control and air quality. It was found that in 10 years, there was zero difference in air quality. Not good. Not bad. Zero.

The result was there is no more vehicle emission testing. At least, not in Jacksonville. I think a few other major cities followed their lead.
I do not think you will see it ever Mandatory. They don’t have to . Restrict the refinery’s and the fuel stations will have no choice. Look at diesel fuel- When I worked for Navistar ULSD became optional from June 2006 to 2010. After ‘10 it was mandatory but not for Tax except red fuel. To this day its sulfur content is still not regulated. But most red fuel tested by us is USLD fuel. Why? Because it takes money to run two lines. When they have to do USLD why do LSD also?

Now take Benzene/ Gasoline. My company will introduce a new fuel control system in a car here very shortly. HCCI Homogenous Charge Compression Ignition. In other words Diesel type fuel controls for Gas. Wide open air- throttled fuel- no spark plug. Meaning we will be running lean conditions adding heat. Which means we will need higher octane fuels. The easier and cleaner way is ethanol.

FYI the lower octane fuel you can run safely, will let your motor make the most power. Octane is added to change volatility only. Something else to keep in mind is the fuels reid vapor pressure this simply put is the winter fuel vs. summer, colder denser fuel is harder to vaporize and vice versa.
MikeSW214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2011, 09:04 PM   #1798
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

I'm not so optimistic. One way or another, in whole or in part, they always seem to get their claws into everything. Especially when environmental issues are the topic as gasoline and ethanol are.

There are already a few states with ethanol alternative mandates. I hope you're right, but even without a regulation for ethanol, it's nearly impossible to find fuel without it.
Unread 10-31-2011, 08:35 AM   #1799
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

dunkel.jpg  
Unread 10-31-2011, 10:00 PM   #1800
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Ysb, somebody has way too much money!! Must be nice!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.