Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

2M views 42K replies 144 participants last post by  terrasmak 
#1 ·
I figured since the other thread started out as talking about making a club, and what clubs are available, we should have a thread that's just dedicated to setting up trail runs.

The title says it all, and it'll be less cluttered.

So, the 9/18/10 Run to Potato Ridge was a success!

Next item on the schedule is Logandale on 10/23/10 according to McRoberts. Seems like we have a few interested parties! Who all is planning to attend?

If there is anything in the meantime, or someone local wants another rig to ride with them, just post up and see if anyone is available!

#23,786 ·
None of them... Let the exhaust tell the story!
Haha yea that's what will happen, I'm just bored. So far the hardest part I'm foreseeing with the swap is the AC. I have to have my cold air!! It looks like we will have to notch the frame on the passenger side, but that's not a biggie. And it's a good thing I don't have a pass. side upper link mount or AC wouldn't be an option. AND I'm still deciding 3.8 or 4.3 on the Atlas.

#23,788 ·
I've got a black toyota that honestly would make much better use of the engine and transmission. It'll cost you less too, I'll do the install myself. Maybe skip the atlas and buy me a 35 spline spool and axles though too while you're spending the cash. I'll give you rides in it!!! Maybe even let you drive it...

#23,789 ·
that thing already is a beast, hard to imagine it being MORE beastly.
Well, I like to drive my Jeep on the street a lot too. Unfortunately, I have tapped out what my drivetrain is capable of for overall drivability. Example...as soon as I get just past the gas station at Blue Diamond and 159(heading to Lovell Rd) I have to drop into 3rd gear, pedal down, RPM's around 4K just to maintain 50-55mph...SUCK, I drove my Jeep to CA a while back. Baker pass, I'm lucky if the 18wheelers aren't passing me in the truck lane.

4.0, 4spd auto, 5.38 gears...not much more I can do. A supercharger is a waste of $$, cost about 6K to do right, all your power is at high RPM's, and that's all if the stock engine bottom end lasts. So anything less than open throttle and the SC does nothing for you.

So my options were go to 35" tires for the street or put a 400hp engine in, I chose the latter :D

#23,790 ·
Well, I like to drive my Jeep on the street a lot too. Unfortunately, I have tapped out what my drivetrain is capable of for overall drivability. Example...as soon as I get just past the gas station at Blue Diamond and 159(heading to Lovell Rd) I have to drop into 3rd gear, pedal down, RPM's around 4K just to maintain 50-55mph...SUCK, I drove my Jeep to CA a while back. Baker pass, I'm lucky if the 18wheelers aren't passing me in the truck lane.

4.0, 4spd auto, 5.38 gears...not much more I can do. A supercharger is a waste of $$, cost about 6K to do right, all your power is at high RPM's, and that's all if the stock engine bottom end lasts. So anything less than open throttle and the SC does nothing for you.

So my options were go to 35" tires for the street or put a 400hp engine in, I chose the latter :D
Yeah it definitely seems to make sense with what do with it. Did you ever see the willys that belonged to the guy who bought the CJ from you?

He's got an LS from an escalade or yukon under the hood and said with his exhaust and tune it has ungodly amounts of power, but he gets over 20mpg in that thing and it just cruises all day at 70 with zero issues.

#23,791 ·
Do the 4.3 atlas for the rock crawling! you were telling me you loved the 4:1 ratio of the teralow and rubi cases. that 4.3 should be better. Do you think a 6 speed would be a better choice than going with the big motor? that LS is going to be sick though. its going to STUFF that engine bay for sure. lol

marn, go with the rustoleum gloss black with a good base of primer. two coats of the gloss, and you will be able to wash off most things, and retouch as needed like you said. most of the water and mud will just sheet off, so it will be easier to keep clean. flat or matte will be a pain to keep clean, and will show small SEEPING leaks more than gloss will. my .02 worth.

fixed. dang autocorrect!

#23,792 ·
Garza said:
Haha yea that's what will happen, I'm just bored. So far the hardest part I'm foreseeing with the swap is the AC. I have to have my cold air!! It looks like we will have to notch the frame on the passenger side, but that's not a biggie. And it's a good thing I don't have a pass. side upper link mount or AC wouldn't be an option. AND I'm still deciding 3.8 or 4.3 on the Atlas.
Go 4.3 when I got my atlas I went 3.8 and it is fine but looking back 4.3 would have been better. With my 4.2, 4.56 and nv4500 I cruise down the highway at 70 with the rpm's around 2600-2700. Not sure if that helps you at all but if you need or want to look at the atlas (hands on) you welcome to come by.

#23,793 ·
Do the 4.3 atlas for the rock crawling! you were telling me you loved the 4:1 ratio of the teralow and rubi cases. that 4.3 should be better. Do you think a 6 speed would be a better choice than going with the big motor? that LS is going to be sick though. its going to STUFF that engine bay for sure. lol

marn, go with the rustoleum gloss black with a good base of primer. two coats of the gloss, and you will be able to wash off most things, and retouch as needed like you said. most of the water and mud will just sheet off, so it will be easier to keep clean. flat or matte will be a pain to keep clean, and will show small SEEPING leaks more than gloss will. my .02 worth.

fixed. dang autocorrect!
My Jeep had the 6spd and I hated it so I took it out and gave it to Khris . I knew I would have some hp loss with the auto.

New set-up will be LS2/4L60 or 70E/Atlas

Thanks for the offer Adam, this will be my 3rd Atlas....and hopefully last!:laugh:

#23,794 ·
How long will the swap take and I'm trying to figure out how it will snowball properly considering what a simple transmission swap turned into last time around. Hmmmm.... I'm putting money on coilovers at the VERY least...

#23,796 ·
How long will the swap take and I'm trying to figure out how it will snowball properly considering what a simple transmission swap turned into last time around. Hmmmm.... I'm putting money on coilovers at the VERY least...
Swap won't start until end of summer, I gots wheeling to do. No coilovers, just a full Ultra 4 spec cage. Like I said....maybe KOH EMC????? Lol

#23,797 ·
My Jeep had the 6spd and I hated it so I took it out and gave it to Khris . I knew I would have some hp loss with the auto.

New set-up will be LS2/4L60 or 70E/Atlas

Thanks for the offer Adam, this will be my 3rd Atlas....and hopefully last!:laugh:
Hey Garza, what are you doing about the ECM issues for the LS swap? I have a Magnum 5.2 in mine and have been tossing around the idea of either finding and building a 5.9 or going LS. Not anytime soon, mind you, but it's on my mind. The 5.9 would be a piece of cake as all the hard stuff is done already for the 5.2. But I'm not as happy with the 5.2 as I thought I'd be. It gets crap mileage and is only marginally better than the 4.0 it replaced. One of my original criteria was the ECM playing nice with the gauges, which is why the 5.2 was the choice. Plus, it was my first swap and I wanted to keep it not too difficult.

#23,798 ·
Ok, so while trolling the forums, i came across a thread about the banks sidewinder turbo kits for the TJ. i think its still in concept, but was describing some impressive gains from close to idel up to redline. a lot of people talk about idle power, but after paying attention to how I wheel, i noticed that most of the time, I'm running between 1500-2700 rpm, which is right about perfect for turbo power bands. the cost though is quite retarded, at 3k and up to around 5k. dave, have you noticed any handling changes in your tj after the 5.2 install? garza, what kind of weight gain are you expecting with that LS? I keep coming back to that whole weight issue with a TJ and its already sketchy handling characteristics. the front springs, ball joints, and brakes take a lot of abuse with extra weight. especially because they were never designed for that added weight. plus, when you add a lot of front end weight, it changes the whole vehicle's balance for everything off camber and tilt front to rear. I like the idea of more power in less weight. I really like the idea of a turbo with light boost(no more than 7-10psi) but have also read that the added heat causes nightmares in cooling, especially where we live in the summer. I like the idea of keeping the 4 liter, because it retains the engine bay room, and stock components. I know we've had this discussion before, but I just keep coming back to thinking forced induction is the better way to go. as long as one stays with manageable boost numbers(less than ~12psi tops) i dont see why the motor wouldnt be able to handle it. a lot of people get into trouble with turbo, as well as nitrous because they taste the power and go overboard. sure a v-8 swap is sick cool, and many time cheaper, but its a lot of work, and is really tight in the engine bay, and you still have the heat issue. I have had only limited experience with turbo. i have a friend that had a VW corrado, and he removed the supercharger in place of a turbo. the turbo produced crazy power, and the lag wasnt as bad as a lot of people describe it. i drove it, and it was very smooth. I could see a jeep benefitting from a turbo better than a supercharger because of where I keep the rpm when I'm driving. especially after regearing, I can see the rpm staying up there even when rolling slowly in 4lo. opinions(actual, genuine, thoughtful ones) welcomed. Obviously, I wont be considering it for a while, but its on the list, as well as a 4.6 stroker. IMO, a 4.6 stroker with a good turbo kit would be ideally insane.

#23,799 ·
Power, I'm gonna gamble here... LS2 will be LIGHTER then the 4.0... Cast iron block vs. alum...

From the internet so grain of salt info here but...

Jeep 4.0L I6 weighs 515 lbs.
vs.

LS2

368 pounds out of a GM crate with exhaust manifolds. Add all the accessories and its close to 450.
And Garza, really, just a cage? Pahlease... Wasn't the last time just a manual to auto trans swap? What did it end up rolling out of the shop with on that transmission swap?

Maybe some motivational pictures for you?

Notice those "little" arms in the rear too!!!!????

I dig the stance!!! Still trying to find info on the rear... I'm betting 3/4 linked with coilovers too. I'm just curious if the shocks are on the links or the axle...

#23,800 ·
Ok, so while trolling the forums, i came across a thread about the banks sidewinder turbo kits for the TJ. i think its still in concept, but was describing some impressive gains from close to idel up to redline. a lot of people talk about idle power, but after paying attention to how I wheel, i noticed that most of the time, I'm running between 1500-2700 rpm, which is right about perfect for turbo power bands. the cost though is quite retarded, at 3k and up to around 5k. dave, have you noticed any handling changes in your tj after the 5.2 install? garza, what kind of weight gain are you expecting with that LS? I keep coming back to that whole weight issue with a TJ and its already sketchy handling characteristics. the front springs, ball joints, and brakes take a lot of abuse with extra weight. especially because they were never designed for that added weight. plus, when you add a lot of front end weight, it changes the whole vehicle's balance for everything off camber and tilt front to rear. I like the idea of more power in less weight. I really like the idea of a turbo with light boost(no more than 7-10psi) but have also read that the added heat causes nightmares in cooling, especially where we live in the summer. I like the idea of keeping the 4 liter, because it retains the engine bay room, and stock components. I know we've had this discussion before, but I just keep coming back to thinking forced induction is the better way to go. as long as one stays with manageable boost numbers(less than ~12psi tops) i dont see why the motor wouldnt be able to handle it. a lot of people get into trouble with turbo, as well as nitrous because they taste the power and go overboard. sure a v-8 swap is sick cool, and many time cheaper, but its a lot of work, and is really tight in the engine bay, and you still have the heat issue. I have had only limited experience with turbo. i have a friend that had a VW corrado, and he removed the supercharger in place of a turbo. the turbo produced crazy power, and the lag wasnt as bad as a lot of people describe it. i drove it, and it was very smooth. I could see a jeep benefitting from a turbo better than a supercharger because of where I keep the rpm when I'm driving. especially after regearing, I can see the rpm staying up there even when rolling slowly in 4lo. opinions(actual, genuine, thoughtful ones) welcomed. Obviously, I wont be considering it for a while, but its on the list, as well as a 4.6 stroker. IMO, a 4.6 stroker with a good turbo kit would be ideally insane.
LS2 is all aluminum and is 125lbs LIGHTER than the 4.0

dmgiff...Pacific Fabrication is doing the entire harness. They are actually pre-wiring in all Autometer gauges so all I will have to do is mount the gauges in my stock cluster and plug them in. YES you can tandem the stock ECM and GM one for your stock gauges to work, but you will have issues with the tach. I opted to go full stand alone GM engine and trans controls. The only thing coming off the harness that will tie into anything Jeep is the command switch for the HVAC controls. I am having the smog controls built in too and I will run a cat with for and aft O2 sensors so I will legitimately pass smog.

My motor is an '06 with 30K from a Trailblazer SS so I could have the truck pan and accessories. Trans will be a brand new upgraded GM performance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.