Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread - Page 119 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 10-29-2011, 05:43 PM   #1771
MikeSW214
1997 TJ Wrangler 

E85 is 105 octane. If you want to test whats in the tank go get a rain gauge (glass one) fill it with 10 cm of fuel add 1 cm of water since ethanol is absorbed by water it will suck it down so if it sucks the water down 1 cm = 10%. Ethanol is not corrosive as it like to eat plastics. The marine industry has an issue when all the fiberglass tanks would break down from the ethanol and run through the fuel system.

YSB I played with a few boats....

MikeSW214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2011, 06:17 PM   #1772
blazepsi
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouStupidBunny View Post
Where have you been, Blaze? Did you ever get those axles installed?

Yeah, almost all gas station have ethanol now. Nevada is one of the states that is not required to list ethanol content, but most stations will state that it may contain up to whatever %.
Gotta love this forum. Im learning more an more...
Axles swap went great. I have to do the front next. cant 4x4 yet coz of different axle ratio.
blazepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2011, 06:59 PM   #1773
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

My issue with ethanol isn't with the octane rating. Propane, methane and a few other fuels also have higher octane ratings than gasoline. They also have less BTU energy than gasoline. My issue with ethanol is it has less stored energy than just gasoline. You have to burn more to get the same energy output as straight gasoline. Less energy means less MPG.
YouStupidBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2011, 07:00 PM   #1774
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazepsi View Post
Gotta love this forum. Im learning more an more...
Axles swap went great. I have to do the front next. cant 4x4 yet coz of different axle ratio.
Did you use 4X4 at all when we went offroad together? We didn't use it that whole day.
Unread 10-29-2011, 07:22 PM   #1775
MikeSW214
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
My issue with ethanol isn't with the octane rating. Propane, methane and a few other fuels also have higher octane ratings than gasoline. They also have less BTU energy than gasoline. My issue with ethanol is it has less stored energy than just gasoline. You have to burn more to get the same energy output as straight gasoline. Less energy means less MPG.
Yea well just wait, 15% mandatory is around the corner. Good news is that most MFG’s are running multiple fuel and ignition mapping to deal with fuel changes/ variances. Even with that said. I would expect many ECU reflashes to deal with the change
Unread 10-29-2011, 07:32 PM   #1776
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

I'm sure it will be mandatory someday. Sucks when decisions are made based on how it makes people feel. Hopefully, I'll be able to afford a nice turbo diesel conversion before that decision is made.
Unread 10-29-2011, 07:44 PM   #1777
MikeSW214
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I guess mandatory was not the right word. states that sell E10 will be now selling E15. This will start poppen up sometime next summer.
Unread 10-29-2011, 08:28 PM   #1778
blazepsi
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Did you use 4X4 at all when we went offroad together? We didn't use it that whole day.
Yeah i did. Its whenever i go offroad. I know i dont have to. I like to use it, thats the reason i get 4x4. To get the FEELING that Im offroading, heh....
Unread 10-29-2011, 09:16 PM   #1779
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

I once shifted in to 4lo out there. True story.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2011, 10:22 PM   #1780
davidsonlaw
2013 JK Wrangler 

I shifted into 4-Lo today, for about a minute.
Unread 10-30-2011, 01:21 AM   #1781
PhotoJared
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksturgio
Ethanol raises the octane of gasoline. Pure ethanol has an octane rating of like 113 or 114 I can't remember for sure. It's just so corrosive. Talking to my dad he used to buy texaco super premium gas with 108 octane. I can't remember last time I did see 100.
There's about 10 places that offer it here in town. Mostly Rebels. The one on sunset and pecos does. I used to use 100 octane on my nitrous fed Prelude.
other stuff
PhotoJared is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2011, 07:00 AM   #1782
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSW214 View Post
I guess mandatory was not the right word.
No, I think you got it right the first time. There will likely come a day when it is mandatory because some believe it's better for all of us.

Back in Florida, there was vehicle emission testing because someone thought it was better for the environment. After 10 years, there were several independant studies on the effect of vehicle emission control and air quality. It was found that in 10 years, there was zero difference in air quality. Not good. Not bad. Zero.

The result was there is no more vehicle emission testing. At least, not in Jacksonville. I think a few other major cities followed their lead.
Unread 10-30-2011, 07:03 AM   #1783
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazepsi View Post
Yeah i did. Its whenever i go offroad. I know i dont have to. I like to use it, thats the reason i get 4x4. To get the FEELING that Im offroading, heh....
If it makes you happy, I guess.

My point was, if you want to hit a few trails again soon, you don't need the 4WD.
Unread 10-30-2011, 10:46 AM   #1784
blazepsi
2001 WJ 

Quote:
If it makes you happy, I guess.

My point was, if you want to hit a few trails again soon, you don't need the 4WD.
HeHe...If you have to know it makes me happy...
I did some trails this morning on the mountain near Fort Apache and Warm Spring(where the cave is).
I just wanna try the power of Aussie locker on the new axle. I am Impressed, I passed some trails where i usually spin even on 4WD and it did great even at 2WD.

I'll Hit you up when Im ready again. I cant wait to explore more mines with your wife. I ddnt have enough sleep last time and the mood is not 100%. Soon again...
Unread 10-30-2011, 10:49 AM   #1785
blazepsi
2001 WJ 

...when you go in the gas station, does teller usually know if their gas is with ethanol or 100%?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.