Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread - Page 1162 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinJeep Wrangler Complete Gear Upgrade Kits with Installs and

Unread 11-02-2012, 07:13 PM   #17416
PhotoJared
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powrjunkey
Opinions needed, serious ones. Thinking of saving for a while, and selling the TJ to upgrade to a used rubi JKU. I need to be able to take the 2 kids, wife and some cargo stuff on trips. With the TJ, car seats don't fit in the back seat. When the kids outgrow the car seats, there will then be no room for anything else...guns(shooting trips), camping gear, camera, camp chairs, etc. I eyeballed Greg's JKUR, and it looks like it would be a good fit for us. Anyone have any pros/cons for this idea? If I complete the TJ to the point I want it, I will be at the cost/value of a JKUR, AND have room for kids. A bit more for the lift and pretty much done(I know, never done)
What about a trailer? Like Terry's M101

other stuff
PhotoJared is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2012, 07:15 PM   #17417
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I very seriously considered that, but add the cost of buying/building one, and annual registration, and the math doesn't work very well
Unread 11-02-2012, 07:16 PM   #17418
Raptor0206
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powrjunkey View Post
Opinions needed, serious ones. Thinking of saving for a while, and selling the TJ to upgrade to a used rubi JKU. I need to be able to take the 2 kids, wife and some cargo stuff on trips. With the TJ, car seats don't fit in the back seat. When the kids outgrow the car seats, there will then be no room for anything else...guns(shooting trips), camping gear, camera, camp chairs, etc. I eyeballed Greg's JKUR, and it looks like it would be a good fit for us. Anyone have any pros/cons for this idea? If I complete the TJ to the point I want it, I will be at the cost/value of a JKUR, AND have room for kids. A bit more for the lift and pretty much done(I know, never done)
For someone with more than one kid the TJ just isnt logical. I would own a JK if i could afford one lol. But it would still be a 2 door at this point. JKU's are better then a minivan anyday
But for what you want to do with the trailer idea and axle swap the JKU would be the best choice for you.
Raptor0206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2012, 07:17 PM   #17419
Puck81
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Jared how much did you buy your XJ for? And how many miles?

Sent by my imagination
Puck81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2012, 07:20 PM   #17420
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

And a trailer adds a lot of weight which makes trails a lot more taxing on equipment
Unread 11-02-2012, 07:33 PM   #17421
PhotoJared
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck81
Jared how much did you buy your XJ for? And how many miles?

Sent by my imagination
It's a 99 with 125k. Paid $3600.

My first XJ was a '93 with 240k for $1700.
other stuff
PhotoJared is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2012, 07:41 PM   #17422
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Also, does anyone have a JK and used to have a TJ? Curious how they compare in drive ability, power, torque, repairs, handling, things that are/were better/worse between the two, etc. anyone willing to let me drive theirs?
Unread 11-02-2012, 08:13 PM   #17423
adams1985cj
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Also, does anyone have a JK and used to have a TJ? Curious how they compare in drive ability, power, torque, repairs, handling, things that are/were better/worse between the two, etc. anyone willing to let me drive theirs?
Go to the dealership test drive one over to my house then ill show you the way up black mountain. I'm only a couple miles from the auto mall!!
Unread 11-02-2012, 08:20 PM   #17424
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I own a TJ but have driven my Dads JK. To be honest, I was considering trading the TJ on a JK but changed my mind after driving the JK. I much preferred the torque of the TJ over that of the JK. The JK also sounded weird to me. It sounded as if it was revving much higher than it was causing me to short shift. I have not driven an automagic in years and the JK was no different. Of course that could have been a big factor in why I didn't like the amount of torque. I didn't like the view over the hood. I just felt like I was sitting really low. The electronics kind of got to me a little, the hill assist for instance upset me mainly because I know how to drive a standard and not roll back. I don't need some computer doing it for me. Now, to be honest, my Dad liked driving his JK way more than driving my TJ.

He said that he didn't like the body roll of the TJ and to be honest, the JK did feel more planted on road. He and I were both surprised by how well the JK did offroad. His JK did stuff that my Rubi wouldn't without the lockers locked. That was with the JK having the sway bars connected and open/open. The clearance was also nice. It is undeniable that the JK has more clearance stock than a stock TJ. Where I was bumping and grinding, his Jeep never touched once. The JK was much quieter then my TJ and the hardtop on the JK weighed less than a TJ hardtop hands down.

Really, my complaints about the JK, would probably be easy to get used to and I may be jaded having owned 2 TJ's and no JK's. Really, nobody can say but you. Drive a JKU and see if you like it. What I don't like is subjective and I admit that, but subjective is what you are going to base your opinion off of.

Its so short ****s like me and you can still get in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ACR View Post
My issue was I couldn't get the balls centered. I had to use some extra force to get everything lined up right. It didn't take me long.

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
andy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2012, 08:25 PM   #17425
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks Andy! Great info. I'm definitely looking at used(which is of some concern, like with a motorcycle) and I think I just need to go drive one. Won't even consider an auto either. It's just way better off road, IMO.
Unread 11-02-2012, 09:30 PM   #17426
B0nez
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks Andy! Great info. I'm definitely looking at used(which is of some concern, like with a motorcycle) and I think I just need to go drive one. Won't even consider an auto either. It's just way better off road, IMO.
If you get one, get the '12 and newer so you get the better engine!
B0nez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2012, 09:36 PM   #17427
B0nez
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Good news: Wife let me get two more guns, one for her and one for me; pics to come when I get back home
Bad news: I'm stuck in the hospital 430 miles away for the next few weeks and haven't even had a chance to take 'em out of the plastic bags.

This sucks. Oh well, watching you guys yap on the forum is entertaining at least
B0nez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2012, 09:55 PM   #17428
Puck81
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by B0nez
Good news: Wife let me get two more guns, one for her and one for me; pics to come when I get back home
Bad news: I'm stuck in the hospital 430 miles away for the next few weeks and haven't even had a chance to take 'em out of the plastic bags.

This sucks. Oh well, watching you guys yap on the forum is entertaining at least
Why you in the hospital?

Sent by my imagination
Puck81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2012, 10:05 PM   #17429
gregaf3
2013 JK Wrangler 

I had to upgrade to the JKU from the TJ. The 2 door just was not cutting it with both kids still in car seats. As you know I ended up going new for piece of mind. If you ever want to drive mine just let me know. Aside from some armor and spacing it is just a stock JKUR. From there on it is up to you what you want. I went with an automatic because the wife wanted auto start to get the ac/heater going for the kids. I like the interior in the 11+'s more than the 07-10's. As for the new motor, yes it is nice and please don't get me wrong but if you are going with a standard I have heard that the power gains are not as noticeable unless you really beat on it. Both the 3.6 and the 3.8 are rpm happy engines, which will be a change coming from the 4.0. The 3.6 is having some major problems with the heads, but it appears that they have most of the problems under control. The biggest thing about the 3.6 is honestly the new 5 speed auto trans. It does not have any where near the parasitic loss of the old 4 speed auto.

The biggest thing honestly is how high the resale value is for the used JK, esp the rubi. Things to consider if you want to go new... tread lightly gets it 1% under invoice and Jeep sells a lifetime extended warranty.

I personally have never had good luck with used vehicles that I bought off the lot. Better luck with private party sales. Just because you buy a newer used JK, do not think that it will not have problems. Look at all of the issues that vegasmatt had with is certified pre owned 2 door rubi. The dealership basically held it for the repairs until his warranty was almost gone.

Maybe if you give me that tent that you will never use I can give you some more pointers.
Unread 11-02-2012, 10:37 PM   #17430
ksturgio
1997 ZJ 

Anyone want to help install the bumper on my truck tomorrow? It looks like it will be a two person job at least if possible 3. I will try to use my engine lift but I may not be able to do it myself.
ksturgio is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.