Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread - Page 112 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 10-23-2011, 12:49 PM   #1666
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsonlaw View Post
...I know that I don't know enough about keeping myself from getting killed in these mines, so I don't head into them.
You seem to have common sense. All you need is that and a good flashlight. Stay on a single level and don't climb anything.

Thanks for the references too. I keep hoping Garmin will come out with an updated topo map, but nothing new since 2009.

YouStupidBunny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2011, 01:01 PM   #1667
davidsonlaw
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouStupidBunny View Post
The goldfish there have gotten much bigger since I last saw them. I've never been to that larger lake in your pictures. I always saw someones camper parked next to it and just assumed it was private.

The last time we were out there, we found more trails to the east of Cold Creek that went many miles into the mountains. We thought the only trails out there were on the Wheelers Pass side. We saw probably over 50 horses out there in several different herds.
There are a couple of great roads out there to the east. I hit a couple of them while I was out there last.
Unread 10-23-2011, 01:09 PM   #1668
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

East of Cold Creek, we came across a chicken wire cage next to the road. I thought it might have been an animal trap, but there were no openings on it and it was staked to the ground at all corners. It was completely covered with chicken wire. I stared at it trying to figure it out, but I was stumped.

We also came across someones trail camera out there. We busted a few dance moves in front of it, but otherwise left it alone.
Unread 10-23-2011, 05:29 PM   #1669
davidsonlaw
2013 JK Wrangler 

Another shot from wheelin yesterday. Up by Kirby Mine.
img_4263.jpg  
Unread 10-23-2011, 05:36 PM   #1670
davidsonlaw
2013 JK Wrangler 

Multiple layers of security? Some hooligan went to all that trouble of knocking out the cinder blocks and finds bars? Life's not fair.
img_4267.jpg  
Unread 10-23-2011, 08:43 PM   #1671
Poison3DSpider

Quote:
East of Cold Creek, we came across a chicken wire cage next to the road. I thought it might have been an animal trap, but there were no openings on it and it was staked to the ground at all corners. It was completely covered with chicken wire. I stared at it trying to figure it out, but I was stumped.

We also came across someones trail camera out there. We busted a few dance moves in front of it, but otherwise left it alone.
Look like this??
pictures-old-dell-desk-top-702.jpg   pictures-old-dell-desk-top-704.jpg  
Unread 10-23-2011, 09:29 PM   #1672
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poison3DSpider View Post
Look like this??
Yeah, that's it. What the heck is that thing?
Unread 10-23-2011, 09:34 PM   #1673
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
Multiple layers of security? Some hooligan went to all that trouble of knocking out the cinder blocks and finds bars? Life's not fair.
There are a few mines like that. We came across one near the CA border with the blocks busted out. Went back the next week and there was a crew cutting and welding in the cage just behind the blocks.

The worst instance of blocking mine access we've come across are the ones where they used expansion foam. As expected, people tore through the foam and it made a huge mess.

bars work the be
Unread 10-23-2011, 09:58 PM   #1674
davidsonlaw
2013 JK Wrangler 

I was wondering today what kind of flash flood risks there might be in these mines. I imagine that they could fill in really quick if the rock's pretty solid and the air vents are open.
Unread 10-23-2011, 09:58 PM   #1675
Poison3DSpider

Quote:
Yeah, that's it. What the heck is that thing?
Poop, with a stick in it??? I do not know. I took the pictures 9-20-09.
pictures-old-dell-desk-top-703.jpg  
Unread 10-23-2011, 10:00 PM   #1676
Poison3DSpider

Quote:
I was wondering today what kind of flash flood risks there might be in these mines. I imagine that they could fill in really quick if the rock's pretty solid and the air vents are open.
Did you go on the Desert Wranglers ride on Saturday?
Unread 10-23-2011, 10:09 PM   #1677
davidsonlaw
2013 JK Wrangler 

I thought we were meeting at one gas station, and I remembered it wrong. Didn't have anyone's cell, so I couldn't call ... and I wasn't sure how to get to the turnoff, so I headed out myself. I ended up being more productive, and a lot of the trails I went on I wouldn't have wanted to have 20 other jeeps along for the ride. Whale Mine for instance only had room for 2 or 3 at the top if you wanted to turn anything around. Would've been 20 jeeps backing down the hill. Lookout Point Mine would be good for a club run, lots of parking near the end. Table Mountain would be great. Sultan Mine would be great. In fact, I would almost recommend Sultan/Lookout/Table Mountain for a good Desert Wranglers day run.
Unread 10-23-2011, 10:14 PM   #1678
davidsonlaw
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Hiker foot sanitation protection?
Unread 10-23-2011, 10:18 PM   #1679
davidsonlaw
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Maybe Bigfoot scat ... Wanted to make sure nobody walked off with it before the guy with the cage could come back with a plastic bag.
Unread 10-23-2011, 10:22 PM   #1680
Poison3DSpider

Quote:
I thought we were meeting at one gas station, and I remembered it wrong. Didn't have anyone's cell, so I couldn't call ... and I wasn't sure how to get to the turnoff, so I headed out myself. I ended up being more productive, and a lot of the trails I went on I wouldn't have wanted to have 20 other jeeps along for the ride. Whale Mine for instance only had room for 2 or 3 at the top if you wanted to turn anything around. Would've been 20 jeeps backing down the hill. Lookout Point Mine would be good for a club run, lots of parking near the end. Table Mountain would be great. Sultan Mine would be great. In fact, I would almost recommend Sultan/Lookout/Table Mountain for a good Desert Wranglers day run.
I looked for you, was my first time to go on a trail ride with them. Going to Death Valley with them this week. Yea there were a lot of Jeeps. It was a nice mellow trail ride I like you web page, hope to run into you someday on the trail.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.