Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread - Page 111 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

Advance Adapters SYE Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955

Unread 10-22-2011, 08:35 PM   #1651
davidsonlaw
2013 JK Wrangler 

Hey guys. Went out to Goodsprings today, did a lot of trails. Here's a shot near the top of the road to what I think is the Whale Mine. The trail looks tougher at the top than it did from the bottom.

img_4254.jpg  
Unread 10-22-2011, 08:48 PM   #1652
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

If that's the one with the "For Sale" sign at the trail head, that would be the Whale Mine. Just past there is the trail that leads to Bonanza Hill. On the left and across the street from Whale mine to the Bonanza Hill is a nice sized valley. About 260 acres and it's all for sale. You can have it all for the bargain price of 2.6 million dollars!

Did you try the trail to Table Mountain (3549'20.13"N 11528'51.16"W)? It's just a few miles before Whale Mine. There is a nice web of trails there with some of the best views I've seen locally.

What kind of camera are you using, Davidson? My skies never look that blue in my pictures.
YouStupidBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2011, 09:07 PM   #1653
davidsonlaw
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouStupidBunny View Post
What kind of camera are you using, Davidson? My skies never look that blue in my pictures.
That's just because the sky is bluer on the weekend. Today I was shooting with my backup camera, a Canon Powershot S70 that I've had for 5-6 years, just a point and shoot. Normally I shoot with a Canon Rebel XTi, which is a great camera

I had a busy day this morning ... Hoosier Mine, Sultan Mine, Puelz Mine, Root Mine, Singer Mine, Whale Mine, Hoodoo Mine, Lookout Mine, Mountain Top Mine, Table Mountain (both roads on top), Volcano Mine, Argentina Mine, Kirby Mine, one that I called Castle Door Mine ('cause I couldn't find a name for it 35.827202 N 115.515351 W), and a little canyon that I called Stolen Honda Canyon, because I couldn't find any other name for it. (it's at 35.473439 N 115.473439 W) Why did I call it Stolen Honda Canyon? I didn't add any holes.
img_4320.jpg  
Unread 10-23-2011, 01:47 AM   #1654
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I know this is way off topic, but....guys in Henderson, who live in HOA's, what are the rules that you have in yours? Can you have company vehicle(passenger van)? Can you do auto work on your vehicles as long as it's completed in one day? What street parking rules? Etc. Any info will be greatly appreciated. I'm looking for a home in Henderson, but have heard nothing good about HOA's
Unread 10-23-2011, 07:22 AM   #1655
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

I have a love/hate relationship with my HOA. I've only been in my neighborhood for about 4 months and I've already received 6 HOA violation notices.

HOA's can be great if you have good HOA inspectors. I like how they can maintain a community standard, but in my case, the HOA inspector is a dyck. Most of the violations from the current inspector were for offenses before we moved in. For some reason, they've been spacing out all the violations instead of sending one correction notice.

Our last HOA was great. In almost 4 years, not a single issue with the HOA. My neighbor would complain to me about the HOA every time he saw me.

In my neighborhood, all the streets are painted as a fire zone. If you park on the street, there's a tow truck that drives around a few times a day. He's cool about it. He'll knock on your door before towing you and give you a chance to move. I kind of like not having cars parked out there. I've seen some neighborhoods littered with beaten down cars all over the streets.

Our neighborhood has rules about working on vehicles at home. I'm always doing something to my Jeep and they've never bothered me. The security guard in my neighbood always stops to talk to me. He said as long as the car isn't up on stands overnight and the hood is closed more than open, they won't bother you.

If you think the HOA might be a problem, find a neighborhood without an HOA.
Unread 10-23-2011, 07:27 AM   #1656
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Thanks, Davidson for the coordinates. I missed that area with the Honda.

Next, I'll be checking out the areas west of Potosi and south of Lovell Canyon, but that will have to wait a few weeks.

My wife just had sinus surgery and her work made her use up all of her vacation time. When her paycheck was deposited on Friday they only gave her credit for 2 days actually worked during the pay period and no vacation time. We'll be short in funds for a couple of weeks because of it. Feckers.
Unread 10-23-2011, 08:34 AM   #1657
davidsonlaw
2013 JK Wrangler 

Stolen Honda Canyon didn't have any mines, as near as I can tell. Of course, many of the mines can be a bit sneaky. I climbed up to look into the mouth of one, and turned around to see 4-5 openings that were not apparent from where I parked the jeep. Those mountains are pock-marked, for sure. I did shoot a new title banner for my blog yesterday which I'm happy with ...
Unread 10-23-2011, 08:56 AM   #1658
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Could you recommend any areas with mines? Do you know if there are public areas in Nelson?

I was really surprised you hit all of those areas and mines in a single day. Covering all of those trails took us weeks, but we spend a lot of time at each. We try to map the mine adits while we're inside and we're constantly looking for rocks to add to our collection. Most of our trips to the Goodsprings area were only seeing about 4 mines a day.

Also, where did you get the maps with the mine names? My old GPS maps had all the mine names, but the trails weren't routable, so I changed to one of the Garmin trail maps. I can now route trails, but it doesn't list any of the mines anymore.
Unread 10-23-2011, 09:28 AM   #1659
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Went out to Cold Creek and Willow springs yesterday. Here is a link to a couple of pics and I'll post the rest. The horses are pretty food aggressive. I would recommend not feeding them. A few have been hit by cars because they have no fear of people or cars anymore. I had a hard time getting back into my jeep at one point. One of them kept putting his big head into the cab smelling out pretzels.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/2...-16-a-1280215/
1022111210_01.jpg   1022111224.jpg   1022111309.jpg   1022111313b.jpg   1022111320.jpg  

PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2011, 09:29 AM   #1660
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

1022111310.jpg   1022111327a.jpg   1022111418.jpg   1022111530.jpg  
Unread 10-23-2011, 10:18 AM   #1661
davidsonlaw
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Could you recommend any areas with mines? Do you know if there are public areas in Nelson?

I was really surprised you hit all of those areas and mines in a single day. Covering all of those trails took us weeks, but we spend a lot of time at each. We try to map the mine adits while we're inside and we're constantly looking for rocks to add to our collection. Most of our trips to the Goodsprings area were only seeing about 4 mines a day.

Also, where did you get the maps with the mine names? My old GPS maps had all the mine names, but the trails weren't routable, so I changed to one of the Garmin trail maps. I can now route trails, but it doesn't list any of the mines anymore.
Yeah, I left the house at 6 and didn't get home 'til almost 5. Plus, I know that I don't know enough about keeping myself from getting killed in these mines, so I don't head into them. When I have a Saturday to myself (the wife and the son were in SoCal) then I try to bang out as many trails as I can.

As to mine names, I get some from the USGS quads, while others I have to get from a tool I downloaded from minecache.com. They have a pretty cool tool that integrates into Google Earth. It's based on claims, but doesn't necessarily have the locations of the mines pinpointed, just shows the areas of the claims.
Unread 10-23-2011, 10:24 AM   #1662
davidsonlaw
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Oh, as to Nelson, I haven't ridden there much. From what I understand, there's a lot of patchwork parcels. If you go to the Clark County Assessors Office website, you can search for ownership info for parcels. Find a parcel in Nelson, look at the aerial view, and from there you can just click on parcels and the ownership info will pop up. Of course, just because it says USA doesn't mean that there isn't an active claim on the property, and if there is, then it's kinda private property. I've seen do not enter signs and gates, but signs have a habit of falling down so they can't always be relied on.
Unread 10-23-2011, 10:28 AM   #1663
davidsonlaw
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
Went out to Cold Creek and Willow springs yesterday. Here is a link to a couple of pics and I'll post the rest. The horses are pretty food aggressive. I would recommend not feeding them. A few have been hit by cars because they have no fear of people or cars anymore. I had a hard time getting back into my jeep at one point. One of them kept putting his big head into the cab smelling out pretzels.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/2...-16-a-1280215/
I've got a blog post that will be out tomorrow morning about our experience with the horses. My wife nearly got attacked by one. Don't wanna mess with a momma horse.
Unread 10-23-2011, 11:34 AM   #1664
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsonlaw View Post
I've got a blog post that will be out tomorrow morning about our experience with the horses. My wife nearly got attacked by one. Don't wanna mess with a momma horse.
We saw a male try to steal another males lady and there was a fight and a chase. The one getting chased away was rescued by another horse who galloped in and delivered a nice kick. Interesting social behavior. Yes, do not mess with the horses or feed them. You could at the least get raped.
Unread 10-23-2011, 11:45 AM   #1665
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

The goldfish there have gotten much bigger since I last saw them. I've never been to that larger lake in your pictures. I always saw someones camper parked next to it and just assumed it was private.

The last time we were out there, we found more trails to the east of Cold Creek that went many miles into the mountains. We thought the only trails out there were on the Wheelers Pass side. We saw probably over 50 horses out there in several different herds.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.