Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread - Page 1088 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

New jk doors from steinjagerEliminate Hood Flutter!!!Thursday Savings Blast

Unread 09-20-2012, 11:49 AM   #16306
Raptor0206
1985 CJ7 

Dont show that to the jeep engineers, thats all we need is a IFS wrangler. "but the ride is so much smoother"

Raptor0206 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2012, 12:10 PM   #16307
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor0206 View Post
Dont show that to the jeep engineers, thats all we need is a IFS wrangler. "but the ride is so much smoother"
They are probably already watching and trying to figure out how to make it cheaper.

I see their conversation going something like this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepEngineerBriefingRoom

Jeep engineer: Sir!
Bossman: Yes Higgins
Jeep engineer: I think I just figured out how to cut costs on the front suspension!
Bossman: Okay, lets hear it.
Jeep engineer: Sir, we use all-thread for the knuckles and just tackweld a spindle onto it. Then we use the crappiest heim joints we can outsource for the connection points and hold it all together with this new torx style screw that I just created!
Bossman: BRILLIANT!

Its so short ****s like me and you can still get in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ACR View Post
My issue was I couldn't get the balls centered. I had to use some extra force to get everything lined up right. It didn't take me long.

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
andy02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2012, 12:15 PM   #16308
sirhk100

The problem is they wouldn't do it right... It can be done to work with the best crawlers out there but we know the O.E. wouldn't remotely put out something that functions properly for the dirt enthusiasts.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/TPF-Racing/255393361194429
sirhk100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2012, 12:29 PM   #16309
ksturgio
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhk100
The problem is they wouldn't do it right... It can be done to work with the best crawlers out there but we know the O.E. wouldn't remotely put out something that functions properly for the dirt enthusiasts.
Due to "lack of interest" on the part of consumers. I guess that's why they can't keep raptors on the lot. I wish car companies would grow some balls in this country. I'm not a huge scion fan but their new rear wheel drive sports car is better then any front wheel drive crap out there. I would much rather purchase one of those then those dang FF infinity cars. I hate front wheel drive with a passion.
ksturgio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2012, 12:36 PM   #16310
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksturgio View Post
Due to "lack of interest" on the part of consumers. I guess that's why they can't keep raptors on the lot. I wish car companies would grow some balls in this country. I'm not a huge scion fan but their new rear wheel drive sports car is better then any front wheel drive crap out there. I would much rather purchase one of those then those dang FF infinity cars. I hate front wheel drive with a passion.
The sad part is they did a lot of things right on the Raptors but so many things wrong. Nice suspension, Fox Shocks, factory style bumpstops. It is always like that with auto manufacturers. Jeep is no different. Look at the Rubi. Solid axle, Check. Locked D44's front and rear, Check. Crappy stamped steel control arms, sure why not.

Quote:
My issue was I couldn't get the balls centered. I had to use some extra force to get everything lined up right. It didn't take me long.

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
Unread 09-20-2012, 12:38 PM   #16311
sirhk100

Yes, the raptor is amazing in sales and I'm sure has far exceeded the expectations of probably even a lot of the ford people. #1 SVE program ford has ever done I believe. But even with the raptor, from the dirt enthusiast perspective they still screwed up. There's a reason people that actually are using their raptors are swapping the stock rear leafs with deavers, plating the rear frame and adding a hydro bump and then also swapping out the upper control arm up front and putting on a real front shock and stepping up to a 37" tire. At that point the raptor can really actually work. But ford's stock raptor still fell short of where a true dirt enthusiast would want a production truck to be. When it comes down to it, I highly doubt we'll ever see a production truck that really truly works awesome in the dirt.

Unread 09-20-2012, 12:41 PM   #16312
sirhk100

The new tacoma toyota just released for instance that's they're high end "prerunner" model COMPLETELY missed the boat! If someone would come out with a "mini raptor" on like a ranger, tacoma, colorado, frontier type platform and actually finish the job and design a complete dirt package I bet it would sell amazing! Ford was so close but still checked up and limped across the finishline with the raptor. I think a smaller sized truck would sell really well. Something 4wd with 11-12" of travel up front, a shock that can truly work, not just a fox sticker street valved shock, a frame that can hold up to the abuse the truck can actually dish out by an average owner, etc...

Unread 09-20-2012, 01:01 PM   #16313
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhk100 View Post
The new tacoma toyota just released for instance that's they're high end "prerunner" model COMPLETELY missed the boat! If someone would come out with a "mini raptor" on like a ranger, tacoma, colorado, frontier type platform and actually finish the job and design a complete dirt package I bet it would sell amazing! Ford was so close but still checked up and limped across the finishline with the raptor. I think a smaller sized truck would sell really well. Something 4wd with 11-12" of travel up front, a shock that can truly work, not just a fox sticker street valved shock, a frame that can hold up to the abuse the truck can actually dish out by an average owner, etc...
This is exactly right. I would be all about a truck like that.

Quote:

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
Unread 09-20-2012, 01:13 PM   #16314
sirhk100

Marn, 0:27 into this...

Unread 09-20-2012, 01:38 PM   #16315
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhk100 View Post
nice! it did alot better than mine.

Illegitimi Non Carborundum

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2012, 01:40 PM   #16316
ksturgio
1997 ZJ 

That's the problem with car development as I'm sure you know Khris. Is cost effectiveness. I'm sure if Ford could put together a hardcore dirt truck and sell it to make a profit I think they would. Personally I would never buy a raptor just due to the price. They start at $55,000 ish I think, its just to much for me to justify. Imagine what sales would have been like if they were $70-80,000 for a more heavy duty version? I guess that's why people build their own trucks. I just solved the problem. Make a HD version raptor. Do what they did when they released the mustang. Option the hell out of it do you can build what you want. I guess another company already does that to raptors. I remember reading something about a velociraptor that some company puts out. It seems like that was just supercharging or turbo charging the motor though. I don't think they change any suspension components.
Unread 09-20-2012, 02:05 PM   #16317
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
That's the problem with car development as I'm sure you know Khris. Is cost effectiveness. I'm sure if Ford could put together a hardcore dirt truck and sell it to make a profit I think they would. Personally I would never buy a raptor just due to the price. They start at $55,000 ish I think, its just to much for me to justify. Imagine what sales would have been like if they were $70-80,000 for a more heavy duty version? I guess that's why people build their own trucks. I just solved the problem. Make a HD version raptor. Do what they did when they released the mustang. Option the hell out of it do you can build what you want. I guess another company already does that to raptors. I remember reading something about a velociraptor that some company puts out. It seems like that was just supercharging or turbo charging the motor though. I don't think they change any suspension components.
The truck wouldn't cost that much if auto makers didn't want them to cost that much. The problem is they strap every whiz-bang item they can find onto their offroad derived vehicles. When was the last time you saw a Raptor with the low end stereo or interior? When was the last time you saw a Rubi that came out of the factory without the stereo or with a manual rearview mirror? You don't because the auto manufacturers won't do it. When my Dad was looking to buy a JK Rubi, he couldn't order one without a **** ton of other options that he didn't want or need. In the end, he bought a Sport because he couldn't really justify the inflated price of a Rubi.

Quote:

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
Unread 09-20-2012, 02:12 PM   #16318
gregaf3
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I will say that fwd cars do much better in the snow/ice. Get back with me when you have driven a 300 + WHP fwd car with a diff. That is a hand full and will make you suck up some seat cushion
Unread 09-20-2012, 02:18 PM   #16319
sirhk100

Dodge offers the ram runner to compete with the raptor but it's just not seeing the sales. It's on par though with the build it up using options rather then a prebuilt truck that you get what you get. It might not do as well just cause it's dodge or it might be because it's not sitting on the showrooms for people to see completed but rather in the accessory catalog. Personally, if I was going to buy a newer truck and wanted the performance of the raptor. I'd be buying a 4WD ram that was a couple years old used on the lot and have them do the ram runner conversion. That gets you the performance, gets you the new truck, cheaper cause you're using a year or two old platform but still covered under the factory warranty.

Now in reality, we all know I can't afford that crap and is the reason I'm building trucks that will out perform a raptor by hand in my garage. I'm excited for the day I go flying past a raptor with 3 times the hp in my little toyota that's a 4th of the cost! LOL

Unread 09-20-2012, 02:20 PM   #16320
ksturgio
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregaf3

I will say that fwd cars do much better in the snow/ice. Get back with me when you have driven a 300 + WHP fwd car with a diff. That is a hand full and will make you suck up some seat cushion
I can honestly say I've never driven a front wheel drive car with that much power. Even with a diff I bet the torque steer is ridiculous. Next time I get a chance I'll try it out. I bet it is fast but that isn't the only thing I care about when driving. It just doesn't have the same feel.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.