Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

2M views 42K replies 144 participants last post by  terrasmak 
#1 ·
I figured since the other thread started out as talking about making a club, and what clubs are available, we should have a thread that's just dedicated to setting up trail runs.

The title says it all, and it'll be less cluttered.

So, the 9/18/10 Run to Potato Ridge was a success!

Next item on the schedule is Logandale on 10/23/10 according to McRoberts. Seems like we have a few interested parties! Who all is planning to attend?

If there is anything in the meantime, or someone local wants another rig to ride with them, just post up and see if anyone is available!

#21,661 ·
The narrower wheel will for sure suck the sidewall in and make the tire overall narrower but it also will grow the overall height of it too.
so i'll have 33.5x10.00's!!!! WOOHOO! magical unique tire size.

#21,662 ·
Hard to see in pictures but in real life it was obvious...

33x12.5 on a 10" wide wheel

Here's the EXACT same tires on my truck which are 8" wide wheels... Like I said, hard to see in pictures but on the jeep they were physically shorter and wider then on my truck. More blocky looking I guess.

Here's another comparison, same effect...

35 x 12.5 tires here on a 10" wide wheel.

And the EXACT same tires on the exploder with 8" wide wheels.

Like I said, hard to tell in pictures but it was very obvious in person.

#21,663 ·
yah, i've seen the differences in person.

It's gonna be balooned on those 6" rims.

I think i'm going to go for it. The way i figure, $150 for the EXACT wheels and hub caps I want, is a good deal, even if they are used.

If i went with black steelies, it would be $255 shipped for 5 wheels, with no center caps or what have you. So, why pay more for something that is my 2nd choice?

I'm just hoping everything works out with the 6" wide rims and the backspacing and whatnot. I'm sure i can make it work.

Worst case i'll go get some little ricer 15's to throw on em haha

#21,664 ·
Dr. Marneaus said:
well if you guys think going with OEM rims and caps on a vintage rig id 'pimpin' it out, i'm sorry. I must have bad taste.
Nope, but if you glued them to 24" spinners and put THOSE on your rig, THEN you would be pimpin it out and shaming FSJ owners everywhere

I think it would look awesome if you painted the 6" rims to match the body color then put on the chromed dishes.

#21,665 ·
B0nez said:
Nope, but if you glued them to 24" spinners and put THOSE on your rig, THEN you would be pimpin it out and shaming FSJ owners everywhere

I think it would look awesome if you painted the 6" rims to match the body color then put on the chromed dishes.
That's the exact plan :)

The color match not the jb weld and 24's haha

#21,667 ·
Im soooo bored today. No work, house is clean, yard is clean, garage is clean, jeep need a buff but i need a new wool pad (no work means no pad) and i have reached the end of the internet today! :rolleyes:
you're welcome to come over and clean my yard, i did all the pruning already but left everything where it fell haha

#21,668 ·
Note to all you guys that build **** out there: when using a chip saw, ensure that the sparks are not heading towards anything flammable and have a fire extinguisher handy. I almost set my garage on fire, might have destroyed a wheel, and destroyed my ghillie suit just a second ago.

#21,671 ·
Raptor0206 said:
or saw in your driveway :thumbsup:
I should have... Thankfully, when the neighbors saw me carrying flaming **** out of my garage, they didn't call the fire dept. I guess they just figured the crazy guy was at it again.

#21,672 ·
Dr. Marneaus said:
well if you guys think going with OEM rims and caps on a vintage rig id 'pimpin' it out, i'm sorry. I must have bad taste.

Anybody have any opinions on running a 10.50" tire on a 6" wide rim? Khris? this seems pretty common in the yota world running on the stock 6" alloys. lots of them seem to like that combo, but any manufatures website and tire shop will tell you NOOOOO to a 10.50 on a 6"
How's it any different than a 12.50 on a 7" rim? Go for it.

#21,673 ·
This is all that is left of what was once a full length ghillie suit with an integrated camel back...

Attachments

#21,675 ·
How's it any different than a 12.50 on a 7" rim? Go for it.
So, we were talking about a 10.5 on a 6" and a 12.5" on an 8" specifically.

I dont know how tires 'work' like what forces make it unsafe to run a certain width or height on a certain rim, but the way i figure it

there is a 4.5" difference between tread width and rim width. in the both cases above.

On the 6" rim, there is a 4.5" difference. 4.5" is 75% of the width of the 6" rim. Also means that the 6" rim is only 57% of the width of the actual tread width.

With the 8" rim, that 4.5" difference is only 56% of the width of the rim, so, even though you are making up the same 4.5", it's less in comparison to the overall width of the rim. And when comparing the overall width, the 8" rim is 64% of the actual wheel.

so, the ratio of "extra tread width" (4.5" in both cases) to the actual width of the rim is different.

I don't really know if that means anything, because I dont know how that acts on pressures and stresses and whatnot.

Also i figure that it would be EASIER for a tire with a taller sidewall to be mounted on a narrower rim than a tire of the same width with a shorter sidewall to be mounted on a rim of the same width (easier on the 33x10.50 to mount than a 31x10.50).

Because both of those tires have the same 4.5" to make up between tread width and rim width, but the taller sidewall has a longer distance to make up the same difference (essentially the smaller tire would have to have a steeper angle headed from the edge of the tread to the bead)

if you want to look at the tread with ratios on the 7" with a 12.5" tire, it obviously wont be the same, looks like the excess tread width makes up more than of a percentage of the actual rim width than does the 4.5" difference on a 6" wheel. Also, the wider the tread the more gently it can curve because it has more width to do so..... but i dunno dude, i didnt say it made a difference, i was asking because it's something i dont understand, or have experience in.

BF goodrich's website says for the 33x10.50 that the rim width min/max is 7" and 9" (I know we dont always follow that stuff, hell i've seen plenty of 12.50's on like 14" wide rims, ugh)

It says for the 12.50's to run between an 8.5" to 11" wide rim.

so i guess somebody running a 12.50 on a 7" is obviously the same in principle, but like i said, i dont know if the differences in the ratio of tread width to rim width make any difference.

#21,676 ·
I didn't read any of that marn... But I will say i know COUNTLESS that have ran 12.50's on a 7" wide rim if that makes you feel any better.

For the record I think the race truck has officially boycotted me! Last week the motor mounts kicked my but, tonight a simple rubber bumpstop decided it wasn't going to want to work right and it's brand f'ing new too!!! Get to drive across town to exchange it tomorrow night. Gotta love wasting gas money to exchane a $12 part!

On an up note though, I did a little grinding and welding myself all fire free and the leaf springs are about 80% prepped and ready almost ready to be reassembled once I get the bumpstops where I want them hopefully tomorrow night. Cleaning leafs is a poopy job! Marn, I might try and borrow a laborer for an hour from you next time I need to prep leafs! It's a simple job that anyone can do, I just don't wanna do it! LOL Grind off all crud, spray with graphite, stack to be reassembled when ready...

#21,677 ·
Dr. Marneaus said:
So, we were talking about a 10.5 on a 6" and a 12.5" on an 8" specifically.

I dont know how tires 'work' like what forces make it unsafe to run a certain width or height on a certain rim, but the way i figure it

there is a 4.5" difference between tread width and rim width. in the both cases above.

On the 6" rim, there is a 4.5" difference. 4.5" is 75% of the width of the 6" rim. Also means that the 6" rim is only 57% of the width of the actual tread width.

With the 8" rim, that 4.5" difference is only 56% of the width of the rim, so, even though you are making up the same 4.5", it's less in comparison to the overall width of the rim. And when comparing the overall width, the 8" rim is 64% of the actual wheel.

so, the ratio of "extra tread width" (4.5" in both cases) to the actual width of the rim is different.

I don't really know if that means anything, because I dont know how that acts on pressures and stresses and whatnot.

Also i figure that it would be EASIER for a tire with a taller sidewall to be mounted on a narrower rim than a tire of the same width with a shorter sidewall to be mounted on a rim of the same width (easier on the 33x10.50 to mount than a 31x10.50).

Because both of those tires have the same 4.5" to make up between tread width and rim width, but the taller sidewall has a longer distance to make up the same difference (essentially the smaller tire would have to have a steeper angle headed from the edge of the tread to the bead)

if you want to look at the tread with ratios on the 7" with a 12.5" tire, it obviously wont be the same, looks like the excess tread width makes up more than of a percentage of the actual rim width than does the 4.5" difference on a 6" wheel. Also, the wider the tread the more gently it can curve because it has more width to do so..... but i dunno dude, i didnt say it made a difference, i was asking because it's something i dont understand, or have experience in.

BF goodrich's website says for the 33x10.50 that the rim width min/max is 7" and 9" (I know we dont always follow that stuff, hell i've seen plenty of 12.50's on like 14" wide rims, ugh)

It says for the 12.50's to run between an 8.5" to 11" wide rim.

so i guess somebody running a 12.50 on a 7" is obviously the same in principle, but like i said, i dont know if the differences in the ratio of tread width to rim width make any difference.
I used to run 33s on my factory jeep rims (7") without a problem. I think you should be fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.