Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread - Page 1079 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 09-17-2012, 04:02 PM   #16171
ksturgio
1997 ZJ 

I think GPS has ruined the world. My wife can't survive without it. I remember the first time we web to salt lake together. We were just getting through st George when she asked where my gps was. I told her I didn't need it jus follow the signs. Apparently the grid system is to complicated for some people to understand.

I feel the same way about smart phones. Ive got my IPhone an I won lie I use I quite a bit. I realized I was using it when I would go out with my wife and that really bugged me. Now when I go oh with friends or m wife I usually leave it in the car.

It all started when I worked a job where I was on call 24/7 and had 2 work cells that I had to carry all the time. Then I had my phone because I couldn't take personal calls on a work phone. There were times when I literally carried a back pack to carry 3 phones. 2 sets of work keys, and a binder full of schematics for pumps and oil burning boilers. Talk about s PITA!

ksturgio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2012, 04:08 PM   #16172
sirhk100

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksturgio View Post
I realized I was using it when I would go out with my wife and that really bugged me.
I know I said it before but you're absolutely 100% right!!! It's amazing how many times I see a table full of people staring at their phones across from each other in a restaurant rather then actually socializing with each other. Why are you even out with friends if that's what you're going to do?

I only get to see my parents a few times a year. When I'm hanging out with them, I won't even answer my phone if it rings or reply to a text. I'll usually glance to see who it is but that's it. I want to actually spend the little time I have with them, not with my phone so I intentionally ignore it.

I will admit, I like texting. I feel like it allows me to deal with a simple conversation or a quick comment rather then having to stop everything to have a full blown conversation.

There's people out there at this point though that don't even feel comfortable talking on the phone with a stranger! Like having to call on something for sale or what not...

http://www.facebook.com/pages/TPF-Racing/255393361194429
sirhk100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2012, 04:11 PM   #16173
sirhk100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powrjunkey View Post
find answers for any question!
I can't find anything on google, maybe you can help me. I've got a part in solidworks that I've drawn. The problem is I used a romer arm to get my initial data points and it didn't square it up with the 3 planes. I've got the part totally drawn and designed and even fit tested on my jeep. It's pretty badass. But now I've gotta create the engineering drawing of my part and I can't get solidworks to put the part square on the sheet. I need to basically rotate it so that it's square with the 3 planes so that it'll dimension correctly. Can your phone help me out please? Google and the solidworks forums aren't helping me right now...

BTW, this part will only fit on '01-'06 TJ's and it's something based off an idea that YSB actually threw out a few months back when I put out that open idea request. Sorry for you JK and early TJ owners... It won't fit yours...

Unread 09-17-2012, 04:16 PM   #16174
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

A good example was I was at Greg's after a trail and wanted to torque down my track bar. Out came the phone to google torque specs. I have the factory manual at home, but it was way faster to just look it up online. Is technology ruining society? Yes and no. It's killing social interaction and the skills it has taken generations to develop. It is helping too, by saving lives in emergencies and streamlining businesses and making it easier to keep in touch with friends and family in other states. People do rely on the phones and tablets and gps too much. When people die because they blindly trust a gps, that's Darwinism in action!
Unread 09-17-2012, 04:23 PM   #16175
sirhk100

Never mind, I figured it out on my own. I simply went to the view I wasn't happy with, drew a vertical line, measured the angle between them for reference, then deleted the line and rotated the part that many degrees. It's probably not the "correct" way to do it and maybe one of your smart phones will help me since I'm pretty dumb not owning one but I think it'll work for now and allow me to finish up the drawing today so I can submit it for quote.

Unread 09-17-2012, 04:29 PM   #16176
sirhk100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powrjunkey View Post
A good example was I was at Greg's after a trail and wanted to torque down my track bar. Out came the phone to google torque specs. I have the factory manual at home, but it was way faster to just look it up online. Is technology ruining society? Yes and no. It's killing social interaction and the skills it has taken generations to develop. It is helping too, by saving lives in emergencies and streamlining businesses and making it easier to keep in touch with friends and family in other states. People do rely on the phones and tablets and gps too much. When people die because they blindly trust a gps, that's Darwinism in action!

See, now 8 years ago you would've, or I would still today... Have just crawled under the jeep and tightened the track bar bolt till I was satisfied with it being tight. I could've crawled under there and tightened it up for you without the phone information. Maybe I'm special but to me, unless it involves rebuilding an engine or a transmission, tight is tight and loose is loose. No need for a phone to tell me that.

I keep in touch with family and friends the same way I always have. I pick up the phone and call them and have a conversation.

You're welcome to find me on facebook. You'll see NO pictures showing my face, you'll see virtually NO updates on what I'm doing. If you want to know what I'm up to or how I've been. Be normal and come hang out or pick up the phone and call me. I might not answer cause I might be busy but I will call you back and eventually we would talk and get caught up. There's not a SINGLE person including my parents that I can ever remember thinking "wow I NEED to know what they're doing right this very moment"... It's just not me I guess...

You're right, it is helping in some of those ways but none of those things have anything to do with my day to day so therefore I still feel just fine with my dumb phone that takes poopy pictures. LOL If you really really really feel you need a better picture of my burn let me know and I can take a picture for you tonight and post it when I get home. I know I can wait... Hopefully you can too.

Unread 09-17-2012, 04:34 PM   #16177
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I am pretty much the same way with FB, but it, unlike twitter(which is tarded,IMO) things can be posted and caught up on as time permits, like texts. I don't post anything personal or private, and I don't post when I use the toilet or if I am feeling sad, like so many people give blow by blow accounts o their day. I don't care why you did between the morning ish and breakfast! LOL
Unread 09-17-2012, 04:43 PM   #16178
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

I carry a smart phone because i dont want to carry a phone and a camera and an mp3 player.

Sure, taking pictures are what cameras do, and making calls is what phones do, but taking pictures and making calls and everything else are what smart phones do. haha.

But then again, the amount of crap I carry with me every day I might as well add another few items.

Illegitimi Non Carborundum

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2012, 04:49 PM   #16179
MMCKEIG
1999 TJ Wrangler 

How many times are we gonna have this stupid phone conversation! Its useless trying to talk Khris into a smart phone. He still uses a carrier pigeon named Gus! Eventually he will have to make the switch when phone companies stop offering flip phone, but besides that, just leave the guy alone, or at the very least move the smart phone conversation to a special thread! haha
MMCKEIG is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2012, 04:50 PM   #16180
sirhk100

I use my GPS on average MAYBE once a month... And that's a MAYBE!!! I don't carry a camera with me cause for the most part, I never really look at pictures again after I see whatever I saw in person. I don't make a living taking pictures so I don't need a camera on me 24/7. I take a crap load of pictures of my truck build SOLELY cause the owner is on the east coast and I know he enjoys seeing them, it's his only connection with the money he's spending. Since the pictures exist I share them with other car people that I figure might appreciate them. So beyond that I carry a phone with me to, well talk with people if I feel I need to or for emergency. But my phone can make the same phone calls in that emergency that the smart ones can. I don't feel I need any random app. to take care of myself if **** goes bad. People have lived their lines safely and just fine forever without and I'm pretty sure I can continue to.

Unread 09-17-2012, 04:53 PM   #16181
sirhk100

Merrick knows... the day you can score me a smart phone for absolutely 100% free! I'm talking I don't buy the phone, I don't pay for any retarded data plan, etc... I'll switch. I haven't found a service that will provide that and I'm not willing to pay a dime for something I have no interest in. So pretty much you can brag about your instant movie times. I'll continue deciding in the afternoon what I think I want to do tonight and make plans accordingly...

BTW, my phone bill is just under $40 a month. I'm still grandfathered on my original phone plan from '01 with Verzon. I pay $32/month plus $5 for unlimited texts... So feel free to use your smart phones to shop for my smart phone plan that scores me those prices.

LOL!!!! I'm just going to start charging for any garage services to smart phone owners. Flip phoners I'll continue free fab work and wrenching services to!

Unread 09-17-2012, 05:40 PM   #16182
sirhk100

Andy, after sitting in the race truck seats I know you want some for your jeep!!! Here you go! Pimp it out!

http://www.race-dezert.com/classifie...tails&id=31460

Unread 09-17-2012, 06:27 PM   #16183
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

hi.

Illegitimi Non Carborundum

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2012, 07:28 PM   #16184
Spaceball

2001 TJ Wrangler 

We went to Ely over the weekend to visit the family, did some Jeepin around the backyard. It's nice having BLM land surrounding your property! And hey Khris, I took these with my camera, not a phone

Spaceball is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2012, 07:34 PM   #16185
Spaceball

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Critters did some wheelin of there own too!

The Golden hitting the mud in Gleason creek

Doggies chewing up a field

Sheep doing it cross country style! Forgot my velcro gloves darnit
Spaceball is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.