Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread - Page 1061 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 09-11-2012, 08:40 PM   #15901
Garza
Vendor

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Well guys I saved an American classic today lol. I won't even begin to tell you the fun I had getting it from where it was to my office in this dang rain. While it needs a TON of work, it is do-able and no major cancer.

On another note, yes I too remember this day. I was on my way to CIS class my junior year in college. I heard the initial reports on the radio and when I got to class people we're crying and beside themselves. The teacher brought in a tv and we all watched. Being the town im from is an AF town, I couldn't imagine how all the AF people were feeling knowing what was to come. All I can say is God Bless America, our Troops, and especially those families who lost someone!

And here it is!

image-4180692543.jpg  
Garza is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2012, 08:50 PM   #15902
ksturgio
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garza
Well guys I saved an American classic today lol. I won't even begin to tell you the fun I had getting it from where it was to my office in this dang rain. While it needs a TON of work, it is do-able and no major cancer.

On another note, yes I too remember this day. I was on my way to CIS class my junior year in college. I heard the initial reports on the radio and when I got to class people we're crying and beside themselves. The teacher brought in a tv and we all watched. Being the town im from is an AF town, I couldn't imagine how all the AF people were feeling knowing what was to come. All I can say is God Bless America, our Troops, and especially those families who lost someone!

And here it is!
That CJ is kick ***
ksturgio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2012, 08:52 PM   #15903
gregaf3
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by B0nez

We can hit buffalo wild wings that way I can have some chicken while you two booze hounds go crazy; I'll be DD since I don't drink
I do live right up the road from the one on Durango and 215 north
Unread 09-11-2012, 08:52 PM   #15904
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

What are the plans for it so far?
Unread 09-11-2012, 10:01 PM   #15905
Garza
Vendor

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powrjunkey View Post
What are the plans for it so far?
I have some feelers out on several things and in no order. I definetly want to do this thing on a budget. It would be next to impossible to use a lot of the stuff in it's original configuration. So while I think an "all-original" build would be cool, it just doesn't seem feasible.

Here are some of my ideas and what I'm hunting for:

Narrow trac or wide trac CJ-7 axles...simply for disc brakes and better aftermarket support
Saginaw steering conversion
GM 4.3 TBI V6, TH350, Dana 18
No more than a 2" or so lift.
31" tires probably on some white wagon wheels

That's just in a days thinking..........
Unread 09-11-2012, 10:12 PM   #15906
PhotoJared
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:

I have some feelers out on several things and in no order. I definetly want to do this thing on a budget. It would be next to impossible to use a lot of the stuff in it's original configuration. So while I think an "all-original" build would be cool, it just doesn't seem feasible.

Here are some of my ideas and what I'm hunting for:

Narrow trac or wide trac CJ-7 axles...simply for disc brakes and better aftermarket support
Saginaw steering conversion
GM 4.3 TBI V6, TH350, Dana 18
No more than a 2" or so lift.
31" tires probably on some white wagon wheels

That's just in a days thinking..........
You are really cool.
other stuff
PhotoJared is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2012, 10:13 PM   #15907
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds pretty good, unless like some were saying, use an xj for a donor and use axles, motor, TC, seats, etc
Unread 09-11-2012, 10:15 PM   #15908
ksturgio
1997 ZJ 

I agree with the lift size completely. I'm guessing you are going for fun around town and light trail fun? She be cool no matter what.
ksturgio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2012, 10:21 PM   #15909
adams1985cj
1985 CJ7 

Keep it original!! Here's a pic of my dad's 56 completely restored from ground up. Original engine even. He is the second owner he bought it when I was in high school I should be the third owner one day.

Unread 09-11-2012, 11:09 PM   #15910
Garza
Vendor

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I intend on keeping it as original as possible on the look. It had a V6 originally and still has the cool emblems on it.

The XJ drivetrain could become a nightmare real quick. T-case output is on the wrong side to start, and Im not a fan of the axles for swaps. I also dont want to get too wide. Obviously I have plenty of time to decide on drivetrain, but I might even go Chevy 4.3/TF999/18 or 30. Unfortunetly I know most of you will disagree with me, but I'm pretty much sticking with an auto trans. They are easier (for me) to mount, plumb, and drive

I will be sticking with leafs on all 4 corners.
Unread 09-11-2012, 11:12 PM   #15911
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I intend on keeping it as original as possible on the look. It had a V6 originally and still has the cool emblems on it.

The XJ drivetrain could become a nightmare real quick. T-case output is on the wrong side to start, and Im not a fan of the axles. Obviously I have plenty of time to decide on drivetrain, but I might even go Chevy 4.3/TF999/18 or 30. Unfortunetly I know most of you will disagree with me, but I'm pretty much sticking with an auto trans. They are easier (for me) to mount, plumb, and drive

I am not against you at all. Whatever you want to do with her is cool with me. Good job saving her from the fate she was heading for. My hat is off to you.

Its so short ****s like me and you can still get in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ACR View Post
My issue was I couldn't get the balls centered. I had to use some extra force to get everything lined up right. It didn't take me long.

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
andy02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2012, 11:15 PM   #15912
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregaf3

I do live right up the road from the one on Durango and 215 north
It is right around the corner for me as well.

Its so short ****s like me and you can still get in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ACR View Post
My issue was I couldn't get the balls centered. I had to use some extra force to get everything lined up right. It didn't take me long.

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
andy02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2012, 11:38 PM   #15913
PhotoJared
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:

The XJ drivetrain could become a nightmare real quick. T-case output is on the wrong side to start, and Im not a fan of the axles for swaps. I also dont want to get too wide. Obviously I have plenty of time to decide on drivetrain, but I might even go Chevy 4.3/TF999/18 or 30. Unfortunetly I know most of you will disagree with me, but I'm pretty much sticking with an auto trans. They are easier (for me) to mount, plumb, and drive

Autos are just so much more convenient!
other stuff
PhotoJared is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2012, 11:46 PM   #15914
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoJared

Autos are just so much more convenient!
But everyone that I've been jeeping with that has an auto roasts their brakes on downhills!!
Unread 09-12-2012, 12:11 AM   #15915
Garza
Vendor

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Lol wait until you see my brakes on my wheeling rig. But I have the correct gearing and usually have to give it throttle on downhills in 4lo.

For the CJ5 I don't foresee it being a problem with the huge 31"s lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.