Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

2M views 42K replies 144 participants last post by  terrasmak 
#1 ·
I figured since the other thread started out as talking about making a club, and what clubs are available, we should have a thread that's just dedicated to setting up trail runs.

The title says it all, and it'll be less cluttered.

So, the 9/18/10 Run to Potato Ridge was a success!

Next item on the schedule is Logandale on 10/23/10 according to McRoberts. Seems like we have a few interested parties! Who all is planning to attend?

If there is anything in the meantime, or someone local wants another rig to ride with them, just post up and see if anyone is available!

#20,761 ·
neat.

we'll be out in salton city area from what i understand.

looks like fun. maybe do some exploring out there.

just gotta decide on the campah or a tent.

and also, that last pic, i definitely cant do that stock :-(

#20,762 ·
BTW, if you do end up going to that area of the salton sea near Truckhaven let me know... There's a couple really really cool runs to make in your jeep that are super scenic and I'd highly advise! Make a run to the Pumpkin Patch, the Telephone booth, Fonts point, Calcite mines or even go for the crazy tourist thing and head into borrego springs and check out the insane metal sculptures.

Pumpkin patch

Fonts point

calcite mine

Borrego metal sculptures, there are all larger then your jeep!!!

This one just seems fitting for you marn!!!!!

The telephone booth!!! Trust me, if you go here you'll wonder WTF???!!!!

I could keep going but basically all that stuff is within an hour or so of salton city at most!!! Some of it is MUCH closer... It's actually a very very cool area. Like I said, I grew up exploring that part of the desert. In fact that valley with all the campers in my previous post is where we did the oxy/acy bombs growing up with my parents camping out there with family friends.

#20,764 ·
Truckhaven is like the mecca for 4 wheeling without rocks! The natural terrain is just lots of offcamber type stuff. Not a whole lot of fear from body damage, more just picking lines... And your jeep should be able to go thru that stock TJ section!!!! My lowered mazda probably could've pulled that off!

I'm trying to see if I can find the phone booth on google earth. I'm not 100% sure your wagon would make it up to it. There's a pretty good climb with like 2 ledges to get up to it. That very first picture I posted, the right line the YJ is on is the easy way up, you make a right just past that ledge hes on and then there's one more to bump up and over. The rest is easy but a little nerve racking cause of the height involved. I took the stock rubicon up it though without lockers.

#20,766 ·
quickest seems to be the 15, but i plan to drive down the 95 and cut across down there. its technically shorter (20 miles?) but takes like 10 minutes longer, according to googoo maps.

maybe we should take the chally, its likely more capable than my pile haha

#20,769 ·
The guy that I bought my extra wheels off of could not stop talking about truckhaven. It looks like fun. What is the quickest way to get down there 95?
Moab's the mecca for slick rock, johnson valley owns big rocks, Rubicon is arguably the best trail around and Truckhaven owns it for natural terrain offcamber smooth trails! It's a really really fun area with seriously ENDLESS trails and all 100% legal!

I've always just taken the 95 down past the I40. At Vidal Junction head West on 62 and follow it till you hit the I10. ( Just a few miles before box canyon exit is a truck stop type area on the north side of the highway. There's a bunch of General Patton's tanks there on display and a museum dedicated to the training they did in that area.) Take I 10 that west just a little ways and cut off down thru Box canyon. (Highly recomend it during the day cause it's a really really scenic drive thru an awesome canyon!!! But not when it's raining cause the pavement literally is ran right down the middle of a major wash that can easily flow!) That spits you out in the crap hole called Mecca. Zig zag your way thru town (make sure you have a GPS or MAP!!!!) and then hit the 86 south for about 30-40 minutes. On the north end of salton city, hang a right on North marina drive and follow it till it turns to dirt. Find anyplace out in the desert to camp.

LOL, no seriously, I've only been there like once ever, can you tell?

#20,773 ·
What's a good summer 3-4 day offroad trip that would be northern/centeral nevada based? Trying to toss together a trip with some friends that would be coming down from Mammoth Ca. I tossed out the Rubicon actually but one has a FJ on 33's with a rear locker and he's pretty sure he won't make it thru. Need something just a notch lower then the rubicon but kinda coming up empty that would be summer temp acceptable.

#20,774 ·
So with my math, your wagon is getting better then the white hooptie in my driveway gets! LOL I'm hoping to be in the 18ish range all said and done with red though.
12ish on the highway, 10ish when towing the camper.

both of those numbers are probably +/- 2mpg though, haha. Best i ever did was 13.something on the way to zion and back.

#20,776 ·
Best I ever got in ****** was 11... Normally it was 8-9mpg. And it was my DD for more then 6 months too! LOL I never did understand why the check engine light was on or why it literally smelled like raw gas out the exhaust with that amazing mileage!!! This new one is pulling 19-20ish around town. It feels like a prius to me now! My yota on 33's with 5.04 gears and a V6 pulls 18mpg around town. LOL It just hurts to fill when empty cause it's usually 30 gallons at a time!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.