Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread - Page 1039 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 09-04-2012, 04:19 PM   #15571
gregaf3
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhk100 View Post

PM me if you want to try and figure something out so it doesn't get lost in this thread and I miss it possibly.

what kind of person cannot keep up with the almost 16k post in this thread.

Unread 09-04-2012, 04:20 PM   #15572
sirhk100

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregaf3 View Post
How much are you talking about. If you go too tall you will have to put in some lateral supports to help stabilize it.
Did someone say lateral supports? Here's small sampling of my lateral support resume...

Oh and there's these too...

http://www.facebook.com/pages/TPF-Racing/255393361194429
sirhk100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2012, 04:21 PM   #15573
sirhk100

Quote:
what kind of person cannot keep up with the almost 16k post in this thread.
I was impressed, I last checked it on thurs eve and think there was only 5 pages to scroll thru this morning and really only one post worth replying to! LOL

Unread 09-04-2012, 04:23 PM   #15574
sirhk100

BTW, extra points to anyone that can point out the really stupid "oops" in this picture!!! LOL And no, it's not my technical engineering drawings on the floor in sharpie!

Unread 09-04-2012, 04:34 PM   #15575
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
LOL, yep!!! WAY TOO MUCH RUST THERE FOR ME TO DEAL WITH!!! HAHAHA

Is there like a "C" notch that the torsion basically is running thru the frame plate I guess you could say? Am I seeing that right?

From those pictures it's looking like you just need to basically unbolt that housing and create a means of lowering it down right? I'm 99% sure I've got some 2"x3" rectangle stuff laying around that's more then thick enough to hold up if you think that would work. I'm also 99% sure I have some 2"x2" square also (male receiver hitch material) that would possibly work too?

Not sure your schedule but maybe I'll try to swing by one evening this week to check it out in person and if it looks like something fairly simple (couple hours type deal) maybe we can knock it out this weekend or even next weekend since it looks like it's going to be even cooler and we'd be doing it in my driveway. It's not shaded till about 4ish in the driveway so depending on time we might be in the sun...
I does look like there is a C notch in the frame extension wing plate thingy. so the axle could be positioned higher or lower, and it drops out from the bottom.

2"x3" would probably be plenty, we could moxk it up and see how it sits.

Unfortunately, i keep the camper at my office in the north west. I can bring it over some day but that'll just require a lil advance planning as i either need the waggy, or a work truck.

This weekend We're out of town on saturday-sunday most likely. So, this weekend is out.

I'd love to get it checked out before the end of the month though. If you have a few chunks of stock I could buy off you and we could crank it out right then and there, it would probably just be a few hours.

jack it up, drop the axle, mock it up, weld it together, then figure out how to bolt or weld it all together.

Quote:
How much are you talking about. If you go too tall you will have to put in some lateral supports to help stabilize it.
2"-3"

Illegitimi Non Carborundum

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2012, 04:41 PM   #15576
PhotoJared
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post
This weekend We're out of town on saturday-sunday most likely. So, this weekend is out.
Where you guys headed?

**Ninja edit - duh
other stuff
PhotoJared is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2012, 04:42 PM   #15577
sirhk100

I'll try to remember and double check to make sure I still have those couple pieces that I think I have. If I do, it's free stuff, no worries on cash or anything. I'm certain we can knock it out by the end of the month. I'm pretty much living in the garage so welder and stuff is typically all setup and even warmed up usually! LOL Actually now that I think about it, I need to pickup some more wire on my way home tonight. I think I'm just about to run out. That will make pretty much 20 lbs or wire I've burned thru on this race truck! LOL Some say overkill, I've started referring them to the video of that evo flying off pikes peak in reply to those people and simply ask, is there any such thing as overkill in our hobby? LOL

Unread 09-04-2012, 04:42 PM   #15578
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhk100

Typical chick!!! (LOL I really honestly don't know how you've become the one to pick on in here. I really shouldn't since you obviously take your guns much more serious then I do!!! LOL)
Well, at least I'm good for everyone else's enjoyment! Lol. I may be a little quick to type things, but generally emotionally stable! No worries there! Lol
Unread 09-04-2012, 04:44 PM   #15579
sirhk100

Inspiration?

Whoops, how'd that last one get in there!!!!????

Unread 09-04-2012, 04:48 PM   #15580
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

or would it just be easier to buy this....(the last 2000k kit for $152.99)

http://abctrailerparts.com/2kaxles.html

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Unread 09-04-2012, 05:04 PM   #15581
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

K, so heres what i just figured out. appareltly all these axle kits I see have a set width for the spring mounts.

The axle kits are all 46" spring center with 57" to the hub face.

The frame wings that come down (where there would be material to mount the spring hangars) are 51" which is too wide obviously.

Could we nod do something like this?

Black is the existing frame.

blue would need to be added....to create the mounting points for the spring hangars, and green would be the springs/axles.

the springs are 25" eye to eye, though...hmm....

i dunno, you got me excited with those pictures above.

i think i just ought to stick with giving it the cheapest boost possible right now, without having to modify the dang frame.
trailer-frame.jpg  

Unread 09-04-2012, 05:23 PM   #15582
sirhk100

Assuming I'm following you I don't see why we couldn't do something like that depending what's under there for frame work to build off. In the 2 actual pictures you posted it's kinda hard to see what the frame rail is like that the torsion housing is bolting to.

Are the two boxes you've drawn that are 78" wide in black that the springs would be spanning between and already existing a boxed type material to build off or what are they?

It's a bummer that the trailer is in the northwest instead of at your pad cause I'd swing by even just for 10 minutes to peak under it real quick and get an idea what you have as a starting point. I'm not picturing swapping over to a leaf sprung setup like you linked to being that hard though. I would imagine there's some sort of frame structure under there to work off?

Heck, probably the worst part of the whole deal is the fact that I'm assuming we can't just flop it on it's side and are forced to actually work over head underneath it right? On it's side would be rad for welding cause gravity and welding overhead suck!!! LOL One might think a weld splatter to the pouch area just south of your light saber would hurt the most but I honestly think after last week that a solid bead dropping right to the arm pit actually hurts more believe it or not from first hand experiences with both scenarios!

Unread 09-04-2012, 05:40 PM   #15583
ksturgio
1997 ZJ 

Welding Overhead and under sounds like torture to me. A bead to the armpit ouch! I bet it hurts every time you sweat too.
If anyone wants I've got a solid trailer axel I don't need. I think it has leaf springs as well. I'll take a look at it this afternoon if anyone wants it. Also I'll be posting my old stick welder on Craigslist soon but I'll give first dibs on it here. Also have hundreds of rods for it (cutting and welding). I've got to get rid of some of the junk I've acquired.
ksturgio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2012, 05:45 PM   #15584
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Assuming I'm following you I don't see why we couldn't do something like that depending what's under there for frame work to build off. In the 2 actual pictures you posted it's kinda hard to see what the frame rail is like that the torsion housing is bolting to.

Are the two boxes you've drawn that are 78" wide in black that the springs would be spanning between and already existing a boxed type material to build off or what are they?

It's a bummer that the trailer is in the northwest instead of at your pad cause I'd swing by even just for 10 minutes to peak under it real quick and get an idea what you have as a starting point. I'm not picturing swapping over to a leaf sprung setup like you linked to being that hard though. I would imagine there's some sort of frame structure under there to work off?

Heck, probably the worst part of the whole deal is the fact that I'm assuming we can't just flop it on it's side and are forced to actually work over head underneath it right? On it's side would be rad for welding cause gravity and welding overhead suck!!! LOL One might think a weld splatter to the pouch area just south of your light saber would hurt the most but I honestly think after last week that a solid bead dropping right to the arm pit actually hurts more believe it or not from first hand experiences with both scenarios!
yes, the black 78" x something" box is the front part of the frame. its essentially 2 rectangles joined together by the parts that the torsion axle is bolted to, make sense?

it appears to be a C channel type material.

and yeah, unfortunately, we cannot flip it on its side. but if we get 4 hi-lift jacks......one on each corner, we could kneel under it!

thats safe, right?

i dunno, i hate to have to re-do stuff, but it would be REALLY nice to just get a few extra inches under it right now, and be able to better decide on what i need or want to do for the 'real' suspension.

Unread 09-04-2012, 05:49 PM   #15585
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

i should just save up for an extra month and do it right.

http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Susp.../A20RS545.html

simply bolt on with minor fab work, and it would probably be wise to stiffen the frame a little bit, but dang that would be easy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.