Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread - Page 102 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 10-10-2011, 02:54 PM   #1516
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

You guys do know that there are mines you can drive up to, right?

YouStupidBunny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2011, 02:58 PM   #1517
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouStupidBunny View Post
You guys do know that there are mines you can drive up to, right?
lol yea, we talked to some of the towns folk and I checked out the camp sites as well. We ran out of light so we went to the Gold Strike. I expected to see Jack Nicholson with an axe and see twins riding big wheels down the halls. Creepy.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2011, 03:05 PM   #1518
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Yeah, it's an old place. Definitely not the kind of place people stay unless they have to, it's convenient or comped.

There are nice places to explore all over that area. We've been going there twice a week and according to our GPS footprints, we've only visited about 30% of the trails in the area.

We'll be going again over the next few days if anyone cares to join us.
Unread 10-10-2011, 03:09 PM   #1519
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Yeah, it's an old place. Definitely not the kind of place people stay unless they have to, it's convenient or comped.

There are nice places to explore all over that area. We've been going there twice a week and according to our GPS footprints, we've only visited about 30% of the trails in the area.

We'll be going again over the next few days if anyone cares to join us.
The locals in Greens Springs are the nicest. We met Papa George outside of his house while we were walking around checking out the old buildings. His nephew has a lifted white xj and was getting high centered on some rocks. They added that there are too many cool places to see. A really great, historic, and friendly town.
Unread 10-10-2011, 07:18 PM   #1520
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

I've been reading about the mines around Mt. Charleston. Can anyone tell me about them? I'm having a difficult time finding any info on them.

Griffith Mine
Ada and Edith Mine
Lucky Strike Mine
Unread 10-10-2011, 08:56 PM   #1521
gregaf3
2013 JK Wrangler 

Awesome pics guys, I wish that I could have made it. We went up tooling around on the angel peak road today, we did not go all the way up to the summit though, instead we cut off and took the powerline road back to Kyle Canyon. Still pretty good for a quick trip.
gregaf3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2011, 11:17 PM   #1522
Tagsrover
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Tagsrover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2011, 08:35 AM   #1523
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Funny thing about getting onto cotton wood pass was about a quarter mile into it this girl in her compact CAR came from the other direction. I was WTF? Just as I was getting the feeling that "hey I'm off road!" this car comes by. lol
Unread 10-11-2011, 09:17 AM   #1524
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Polka, since you're new to the area, you have to try Rocky Gap. Every local has to give it a try. Here are the coordinates to the Red Rock Canyon scenic loop. $5 entry.
36 7'54.32"N 11525'17.43"W

Here are the coordinates to the offroad area, Rocky Gap:
36 9'41.86"N 11529'57.44"W

That trail will take you almost to Parhump if you want, but after the summit is when it gets difficult. You'll need good clearance or a good spotter. I usually just go to the summit and turn around. You'll have a good chance of seeing big horn sheep in the area. I always see them when the temps drop and they start moving lower down the mountains.

Rocky Gap has some of the best local offroad views. I use it as a baseline for trails. When someone asks me about the difficulty of a trail, I ask them if they've been on Rocky Gap. If they have, I'll make comparisons to sections of Rocky Gap.
Unread 10-11-2011, 09:20 AM   #1525
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
Funny thing about getting onto cotton wood pass was about a quarter mile into it this girl in her compact CAR came from the other direction. I was WTF? Just as I was getting the feeling that "hey I'm off road!" this car comes by. lol
That's why I brought up Rocky Gap. I once saw a couple teens in a Prius stuck along Rocky Gap. When you see Rocky Gap, you'll understand what makes this so funny. His passenger side IFS came completely off and his front tire was tucked deep into his fender.

He got mad because I wouldn't pull him down.
Unread 10-11-2011, 09:22 AM   #1526
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

That blocked entrance to Potosi mine has gotten much bigger than I remember.
Unread 10-11-2011, 09:41 AM   #1527
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
That's why I brought up Rocky Gap. I once saw a couple teens in a Prius stuck along Rocky Gap. When you see Rocky Gap, you'll understand what makes this so funny. His passenger side IFS came completely off and his front tire was tucked deep into his fender.

He got mad because I wouldn't pull him down.
Haha that is quite hilarious. I don't think my wife would let me pull a Prius! She would probably charge them a pretty penny if she did lol. A lot of the guys I know from Warmachines702 club do rocky gap, so I have heard about it. I was told to get some belly armor first which I am saving up for. Seeing some large wild life does sound very cool. So far we have only seen some hawks, donkeys, rabbits, and some pretty large lizards.
Unread 10-11-2011, 09:41 AM   #1528
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

If rocky gap is the one I'm thinking of, my dad and I did it in my stock tj. Had two wheel action once toward the end though. Right front and left rear floating for about two seconds. It was awesome!! We just took it on into pahrump.
Unread 10-11-2011, 09:52 AM   #1529
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powrjunkey View Post
If rocky gap is the one I'm thinking of, my dad and I did it in my stock tj.
Three years ago, it was borderline stock friendly. Two years ago, the rock garden grew and stock risked getting high centered. Last year to this, stock is out of the question unless you hate your Jeep.

Even now, you can go several miles before you reach the summit and rock garden just after. Still plenty to see before you turn around. You won't need any belly armor for most of the trail. Just that one part past the summit. Just turn around before the summit.
Unread 10-11-2011, 09:57 AM   #1530
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
Seeing some large wild life does sound very cool. So far we have only seen some hawks, donkeys, rabbits, and some pretty large lizards.
Since you live so close to Wheelers Pass, go there and you'll see plenty of wild horses. There hasn't been a time we visited there and not seen horses.

They are wild, but very friendly. Go to Sam's and pick up a couple bags of carrots. 10 pounds is about $5. They'll be your best friends.

Stop here:
3625'15.60"N 11543'55.18"W

There's a creek running through and there are usually horses right around there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.