Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

2M views 42K replies 144 participants last post by  terrasmak 
#1 ·
I figured since the other thread started out as talking about making a club, and what clubs are available, we should have a thread that's just dedicated to setting up trail runs.

The title says it all, and it'll be less cluttered.

So, the 9/18/10 Run to Potato Ridge was a success!

Next item on the schedule is Logandale on 10/23/10 according to McRoberts. Seems like we have a few interested parties! Who all is planning to attend?

If there is anything in the meantime, or someone local wants another rig to ride with them, just post up and see if anyone is available!

#20,244 ·
Yeah, that's it! LOL

So, any of you with kids... You should watch project x! LOL, makes me happy to not have any! LOL

And now that you have a cut off torch... Get yourself the following things

helium baloons
large trashbags
roll of string
duct tape
spool of think speaker wire
your torches
a friend
and your car...

Tie the helium balloons down so you don't loose them. Take your trashbag and tape a length of string about 10 feet long between the trashbag and the helium balloons so that it acts like a leash. Strip the ends of the speaker wire and tape them on the side of the trash bag with about 1/16-1/8" gap between the bare wires. Park your car about 300 feet away from where you're working. BTW, you probably wanna do this in BFE, not in your neighborhood! Now unspool the wire all the way to the front of your car and tie it to like your bumper or mirror or something so you can't loose it. Now walk back to your large trash bag leashed to the balloons. Stick the end over your torch and open up the valves of oxy and acy.... Fill the balloon up as full as you can and tie it shut with some string!!!! Put a wrap of duct tape around it for good measure. No go ahead and release the balloons and let them drag the gas filled trash bag into the sky. Night time is best... Walk back to your car and untie the wires. Pop your hood and touch them to your battery!!!!! Make sure your friend is there to witness.

I expect all you gun nuts to report back soon on this cause it should be right up your alley! After that I'll tell you about pie tins, white gas and butane cylinders...

Growing up camping in the desert with family and friends playing with offroad toys had it's life lessons!!!

#20,246 ·
sirhk100 said:
Yeah, that's it! LOL

So, any of you with kids... You should watch project x! LOL, makes me happy to not have any! LOL

And now that you have a cut off torch... Get yourself the following things

helium baloons
large trashbags
roll of string
duct tape
spool of think speaker wire
your torches
a friend
and your car...

Tie the helium balloons down so you don't loose them. Take your trashbag and tape a length of string about 10 feet long between the trashbag and the helium balloons so that it acts like a leash. Strip the ends of the speaker wire and tape them on the side of the trash bag with about 1/16-1/8" gap between the bare wires. Park your car about 300 feet away from where you're working. BTW, you probably wanna do this in BFE, not in your neighborhood! Now unspool the wire all the way to the front of your car and tie it to like your bumper or mirror or something so you can't loose it. Now walk back to your large trash bag leashed to the balloons. Stick the end over your torch and open up the valves of oxy and acy.... Fill the balloon up as full as you can and tie it shut with some string!!!! Put a wrap of duct tape around it for good measure. No go ahead and release the balloons and let them drag the gas filled trash bag into the sky. Night time is best... Walk back to your car and untie the wires. Pop your hood and touch them to your battery!!!!! Make sure your friend is there to witness.

I expect all you gun nuts to report back soon on this cause it should be right up your alley! After that I'll tell you about pie tins, white gas and butane cylinders...

Growing up camping in the desert with family and friends playing with offroad toys had it's life lessons!!!
This sounds awesome! Please tell us about pie the pie tins!

#20,248 ·
LOL

pie tin in the desert, fill it with white gas from a camping stove and put the butane cylinder in and go hide. Don't use a propane tank cause they have those stupid safety valves now and those just make like 40' flame throwers when they pop or something similar to a mickeys beer bottle bomb. Blue butane camp stove cylinders didn't have those, hopefully they still don't... Wait about 5 minutes and you'll hear like a decent gun shot and a cool fireball. But stay hidden. That's just the initial expansion and quick gas release. Then before you hear or see the explosion, you'll hear something that sounds like a kid throwing a stick thru the air whistle over your head. A split second later you see a huge mushroom cloud and then chest punch rumble! Next day you find the butane cylinder in the direction you heard the whistle a long long ways out.

Can't get much more simple!

#20,252 ·
adams1985cj said:
Don't know if you guys have seen this yet only takes a minute to do.

http://www.ruger.com/micros/advocacy/
Done and done. Thanks for the link. Everyone, please jump on this. This is just one small thing we can do to help support OUR causes!

#20,254 ·
#20,255 ·
Andy, I don't know if I'm going to go (probably not) but Sunday at 3pm there's going to be pretty decent gathering of prerunner trucks out at the lake bed at Jean. Basically instead of turning right to head into the spectator area hang a left instead. Shouldn't be able to miss them. I would imagine 50+ vehicles will be out there... Right now there's 88 replies saying they're going and last time there was at least 50 trucks.

#20,257 ·
Is the real drift king going to be out there with the explorer?
I doubt he'll be there and if he goes, it definitely won't be with the exploder. It'll be with the import truck. Chances are though, he'll probably either be in the garage stripping down a race truck or out in Nelson hills riding the ridge lines on 2 wheels.

#20,259 ·
Sitting in the McDonald's on Sahara and maryland at 7:40 am is quite interesting. Full of hobos and other classy folks.

P.s. don't y love when your 7am estimate calls the office to reschedule at 10:45pm (after having confirmed already) and then your office manger doesn't check his messages because it's before 8am and neglects to tell you?

#20,260 ·
It's the funnest riding I've found since I moved here to Vegas! The ride from Nelson Hills to Searchlight and back is a fun one for sure! I used to date a chick that rode and we did a ride from Nelson, gas in searchlight, rode right up to the tropicana in Laughlin and left the bikes parked with the Harleys, stayed the night and then reversed the next day. That was a good ride too!

I actually want to do something similar in the prerunner trucks, basically boulder city to laughlin, stay the night and then backtrack the next day. 100% dirt from boulder to the tropicana all the way down. Would have about 5 miles of pavement on the return trip just to change up the route a little bit though. LOL

It could be worse, you could be the guy that drove out here to my work today from orange county for a service call. No clue what time he left his house this morning but he got here about 15 minutes ago and will likely spend 5-7 hours working on the machine and then gets to drive home! LOL Nice long day!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.