Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread - Page 1012 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 08-23-2012, 12:58 PM   #15166
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhk100
They might already be spoken for by your arch enemy and nemesis!
You mean Dr. Evil?? Rofl the European hella replacements...are they for the h4 bulbs, or similar? What makes them more special than other headlight replacements? I do tend to agree on the HID kits about other drivers being angry about it. I was mostly just considering HID because of the halo kits on them. I know they are literally useless, but look cool and would be a cool accent for shows or just a conversation starter. I would have no problem using HID for an off road light though, so if something is available for reasonable price, might be interested, if Dr. Evil doesn't want them! Lol

Unread 08-23-2012, 01:30 PM   #15167
sirhk100

I'll have to 100% verify when i get home but yes I believe they use an H4 type bulb. Put it this way, they use a bulb and are not sealed, I think it's an H4. LOL

I can't compare them to stock cause I've never had the stock ones in my jeep. They have more of a BMW/Benz/Jap beam, you know where there's like a solid horizontal line where above that line there's virtually no light and below it is lit up awesome! That' the type of beam pattern they are. If you open the Quadratec book and look at the hella vision plus, they're basically the euro equivelent of that but they are not DOT approved so if you ever had to get inspected for whatever reason that might be an issue. Other then that, they're great lights. Like I said, you're more then welcome to pop them in and try them out. If you like them $75. If not, you're out about 20 minutes of your time swapping them back and forth...

Let's put it this way, in the bay here at work, I've back to back to back to back to back etc... Tested the Delta quadbar with the bulbs supplied vs. hella vision plus vs. hell euro ones I'm offering you. There was VERY minimal difference between the three so I stuck with the delta only cause they were already in my jeep, I like the look of them being flat face and the quad bar looks kinda cool I guess. In that testing I also installed HID's in every single one of them too and each one of them blasted the beam pattern to crap and would for sure blind any and all opposing my view! LOL

HID's are amazing in the dirt and also amazing on the street when coupled with the right lens. I haven't seen a 7" round light replacement though yet that works good with the HID. The light from behind the steering wheel is awesome! Like I said, 1st hand, EVERYONE will hate you on the road. Don't believe me, come over one night and we'll go cruise my jeep around a bit and count the high beam flashes back at me. You will also see that my lights look like they're aimed at my front bumper yet still put out an insane amount of light on the road and other's eyes I guess... LOL

If Dr. Evil doesn't take them, I'll offer you the same deal I offered him. I'll wait for him to give me his answer first though. I think he's swinging by the house this weekend to discuss his latest ploy at world domination so I'll see what he wants to do then. If he takes them, then the driving my jeep around blinding people offer might not stand depending which of my 2 offers he takes me up on if any!!! LOL

Yes, I know that's totally vague and confusing! It's kinda intentional... LOL

http://www.facebook.com/pages/TPF-Racing/255393361194429
sirhk100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2012, 01:41 PM   #15168
sirhk100

Here you go!!!! I actually just found the pictures from the testing I described above. I have NO PICTURES of stock to compare to though cause like I said, I've never had the stock ones. All the HID pictures used the EXACT same HID bulb. All the Halogen used the EXACT SAME halogen bulb so it's just comparisons of the lens.

Hella Vision Plus Low Beam Halogen (what quad sells)

Hella Euro Low Beam Halogen (what I'm offering you)

Hella Vision Plus High beam Halogen (what quad sells)

Hella Euro High Beam Halogen (what I'm offering you)

I unfortunately have NO pictures of the Delta quadbar with the halogen bulb in it for some reason...

Hella Vision Plus Low Beam HID

Hella Euro Low Beam HID (what you can possibly have if Dr. Evil doesn't take them)

Delta Quad Low Beam HID

Hella Vision Plus High Beam HID

Hella Euro High Beam HID (what you can possibly have if Dr. Evil doesn't take them)

Delta Quadbar High Beam HID

How's that for comparison!!! LOL Those are my pictures taken with my lights in our work shop with the lights turned off... This isn't crap doctored up and taken from the internet or vendors or anything like that...

LOL, you're welcome...

Unread 08-23-2012, 01:43 PM   #15169
sirhk100

BTW, I've found that I get high beamed by oncoming traffic with my delta quadbar HID lights on high beam LESS then I get flashed with them on low!!! When you compare the Delta low to the delta high HID pics above it kinda makes sense...

Unread 08-23-2012, 03:13 PM   #15170
gregaf3
2013 JK Wrangler 

Is there anyway that we can get that in a powerpoint presentation with a few graphs and other charts. Maybe something with cost vs life expectancy vs number of high beam flashes.
Unread 08-23-2012, 03:21 PM   #15171
sirhk100

No because I don't have power point... But if it makes you feel any better, I was getting paid when I did all that testing and I was getting paid when I made that post above.

Unread 08-23-2012, 03:51 PM   #15172
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

From what I've read, you can't just put an HID bulb in a halogen housing. The reflectors are different for the specific bulb. I assume that the depth of the light source is the biggest variable. Reflector angles and design are next. From what I've picked up, if you use an HID bulb and HID specific housing, the result is best. A halogen housing just scatters the light in all directions, whereas the HID housing focuses it correctly.
Unread 08-23-2012, 03:52 PM   #15173
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Also, the good HID kits are expensive($300-ish) so everyone just uses their factory reflector housing with HID bulbs and ballasts because it's way less expensive. The result is the DBs that blind everyone.
Unread 08-23-2012, 04:29 PM   #15174
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powrjunkey View Post
I assume that the depth of the light source is the biggest variable. Reflector angles and design are next.
They are equal. Your typical halogen bulb puts out light in a very specific direction (right around 90* from straight forward and very little to the sides of the tungsten.) That is why they are "keyed." Those directions are known and a good reflector is tuned for that. An HID bulb puts out light in all directions at once (including straight forward.) It doesn't matter how it is keyed into the housing. Hence the reason that they blind other drivers, you cannot control how the light is going to be distributed straight off the bulb. That is also the reason that good HIDs are made with a projector. Lexus is the only manufacturer that made a HID actually work in an H4 housing. They blocked off the front of the HID bulb along with the forward or back of the bulb using a magnetic driven system for high and low beams. (All dual beam HIDs use a system similar with the sheild that moves forward and back but none of them address the front of the bulb. Lexus did away with the system because it was too finicky to get to work with any sense of reliability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powrjunkey
From what I've picked up, if you use an HID bulb and HID specific housing, the result is best. A halogen housing just scatters the light in all directions, whereas the HID housing focuses it correctly.
Absolutely correct.

Its so short ****s like me and you can still get in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ACR View Post
My issue was I couldn't get the balls centered. I had to use some extra force to get everything lined up right. It didn't take me long.

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
andy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2012, 04:30 PM   #15175
PhotoJared
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for everyone's replays. It ended up being the NSS. It started with a little jiggle of the shift lever. I'll clean it this weekend.
other stuff
PhotoJared is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2012, 04:34 PM   #15176
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I'll just have to wait until LED technology catches up and costs come down. Still like the halo ideas, but they're still expensive as all get out too.
Unread 08-23-2012, 04:45 PM   #15177
gregaf3
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoJared View Post
Thanks for everyone's replays. It ended up being the NSS. It started with a little jiggle of the shift lever. I'll clean it this weekend.
NP, glad to hear that it was an easy fix.
Unread 08-23-2012, 04:50 PM   #15178
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powrjunkey View Post
I'll just have to wait until LED technology catches up and costs come down. Still like the halo ideas, but they're still expensive as all get out too.
Good to hear. In the meantime, enjoy my flowchart...
hid-flowchart.jpg  

Its so short ****s like me and you can still get in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ACR View Post
My issue was I couldn't get the balls centered. I had to use some extra force to get everything lined up right. It didn't take me long.

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
andy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2012, 05:02 PM   #15179
MMCKEIG
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Hey junky, check out these guys. They do you "halos" haha

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f43/h...255-a-1392925/
MMCKEIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2012, 05:11 PM   #15180
gregaf3
2013 JK Wrangler 

Nice job Andy, but everyone knows that the decisions in flow charts should be within a diamond not a rectangle.... gee do we have to teach you everything?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.