Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

2M views 42K replies 144 participants last post by  terrasmak 
#1 ·
I figured since the other thread started out as talking about making a club, and what clubs are available, we should have a thread that's just dedicated to setting up trail runs.

The title says it all, and it'll be less cluttered.

So, the 9/18/10 Run to Potato Ridge was a success!

Next item on the schedule is Logandale on 10/23/10 according to McRoberts. Seems like we have a few interested parties! Who all is planning to attend?

If there is anything in the meantime, or someone local wants another rig to ride with them, just post up and see if anyone is available!

#13,663 ·
We used the high lifts quite a bit on the rubicon trails and dusy ershim along with big bear trails back in the day. I haven't seen anything in the vegas vicinity though that would require one other then a flat tire change which honestly is one of the sketchiest things to do with a high lift IMO. Floor jack is about a million times safer and those little aluminum racing jacks are light weight and affordable these days as well as small enough to typically pack.

#13,664 ·
I have a hi-lift jack and I have never used it aside from testing and lubing. It is completely unstable and I would only use it as a last ditch effort if the bottle jack would not work. With that said, the hi-lift jack has many other uses besides lifting the car esp when you are in a pinch on the trail.

#13,666 ·
Also...don't mount.it.to a vertical surface on a bumper. What happens when you back up and bump into a rock or tree? There goes yer jack if.you were moving with any momentum. Also, I used to drag my bumper alot out at places like logandale....wouldn't want to rip my jack off.

lastly in my years of owning jeeps I have never had to use a hi lift? I've only ever seen one used on a trail once.
I was under the impression that these jacks were a necessity for Jeep owners. Almost every build thread I've seen has one. I don't own any jack whatsoever for my Jeep, and I don't have a winch either, so I still don't think it will be a bad purchase for me. I want it mounted diagonally behind the spare tire, not on my hood or vertically on the bumper. I may have to get a new bumper with a tire carrier and a jack mounting plate or something though. I don't know how else to mount it there. In the mean time, it would just sit in the trunk.

#13,667 ·
Khris, sorry I wasn't able to make it by this weekend. I told you I had a bunch of stuff to do.

#13,668 ·
I need some advice. This weekend I did some work on my truck as well as added and edge tuner and a CAI and it has really changed my truck. It is very responsive and really woke up with some performance. I am thinking about doing a cat back exhaust. Is it worth spending the money on a kit or should I try and do it myself?

#13,669 ·
ksturgio said:
I need some advice. This weekend I did some work on my truck as well as added and edge tuner and a CAI and it has really changed my truck. It is very responsive and really woke up with some performance. I am thinking about doing a cat back exhaust. Is it worth spending the money on a kit or should I try and do it myself?
For your truck a CBE will be worth the money spent. Mainly due to the R&D that went into it. a muffler shop job may take performance away due to crappy bends and welds. But just my .02¢...

#13,670 ·
IMO if you don't add headers also, just use factory exhaust and replace the muffler with a high flow one. Usually the factory diameter pipe is good enough. Mine is 2.5" on a 4.7! That's 5.7 diameter, IMO. Unless you are going big inch or forced induction, get rid of the factory muffler and use a dynomax or magnaflow or flow master, etc. I did that on our Rango, and it helped. Like puck said, my .02c worth.

#13,672 ·
Well, my house has less flooring than it did this morning. Had a toilet leak develop overnight that resulted in a lot of water in the downstairs. I'm just glad it happened down there, and wasn't one of the upstairs toilets. Anyway, USAA dispatched a disaster recovery team to the house, it's in the process of drying and we get to have a variety of contractors coming in and out of the house for the next few weeks. Yay!

#13,673 ·
davidsonlaw said:
Well, my house has less flooring than it did this morning. Had a toilet leak develop overnight that resulted in a lot of water in the downstairs. I'm just glad it happened down there, and wasn't one of the upstairs toilets. Anyway, USAA dispatched a disaster recovery team to the house, it's in the process of drying and we get to have a variety of contractors coming in and out of the house for the next few weeks. Yay!
Plumber here... Let me know if I can help, also I have contractors that help speed things like that along, just let me know

#13,674 ·
I was under the impression that these jacks were a necessity for Jeep owners. Almost every build thread I've seen has one. I don't own any jack whatsoever for my Jeep, and I don't have a winch either,
Honestly, I think they're more to look cool for 99% of the people out there with either item. Ask the average dude with a winch on his bumper how many times he's used it and I bet most of them say very rarely. Same with the highlift. I would much rather slide a floor jack under my axle on the trail to change a tire over a high lift cause they are sketchy at best. People say they have more uses then just jacking. But most those people also have more then one rig in the dirt with them and straps and other recovery equipment that's much faster and efficient.

#13,675 ·
sirhk100 said:
Honestly, I think they're more to look cool for 99% of the people out there with either item. Ask the average dude with a winch on his bumper how many times he's used it and I bet most of them say very rarely. Same with the highlift. I would much rather slide a floor jack under my axle on the trail to change a tire over a high lift cause they are sketchy at best. People say they have more uses then just jacking. But most those people also have more then one rig in the dirt with them and straps and other recovery equipment that's much faster and efficient.
Absolutely correct! I bought mine not to look cool, but because I ha a buddy that off roaded all the time, and he talked about how they were essential equipment. That was before I knew better, and when i went out alone before the winch. I've used my jack ONCE, and not for jeeping. I've used my winch a few times, also never for jeeping per se (trying to break into a mine) I do feel much better and comfortable having a winch. If I ever need it, I'm glad it's there. Those jacks are heavy beasts too. They are very unstable even on flat concrete! I could envision using one to lift the front or rear high enough to stack rocks or place wood or something for powder or snow traction, where a floor jack may not be a viable option. Other than those two occasions, Khris is right, an aluminum floor jack would be a better investment 99% of the time. I can say the stock jack set up is cumbersome and just plain sucks to try to use on a trail(first hand experience) also another reason why I bought the jack, I don't like laying/kneeling on rocks an sticker bushes to set up a jack. Keep in mind too, high lift jacks only operate by ratcheting the handle through its entire range of travel(PITA in tight or low clearance areas) while hydraulic jacks will work with fractional lever throws!
Summary: if you like how they look/work for the price, get one. Otherwise, get a hydraulic one and be happy with it. I'll sell you mine with the hood mount if you really want one!

#13,676 ·
Plumber here... Let me know if I can help, also I have contractors that help speed things like that along, just let me know
I appreciate it. My insurance company got the guys out today and we're getting the place dried out. Once the drying is done, we'll be looking to get some contractors in here, but I'll be coordinating with my insurer at that time. Shoot me a pm with your details and I'll see if I can throw you some business. I don't know if my insurer has a panel of approved contractors that I might be restrained by, but we'll see.

#13,677 ·
Absolutely correct! I bought mine not to look cool, but because I ha a buddy that off roaded all the time, and he talked about how they were essential equipment. That was before I knew better, and when i went out alone before the winch. I've used my jack ONCE, and not for jeeping. I've used my winch a few times, also never for jeeping per se (trying to break into a mine) I do feel much better and comfortable having a winch. If I ever need it, I'm glad it's there. Those jacks are heavy beasts too. They are very unstable even on flat concrete! I could envision using one to lift the front or rear high enough to stack rocks or place wood or something for powder or snow traction, where a floor jack may not be a viable option. Other than those two occasions, Khris is right, an aluminum floor jack would be a better investment 99% of the time. I can say the stock jack set up is cumbersome and just plain sucks to try to use on a trail(first hand experience) also another reason why I bought the jack, I don't like laying/kneeling on rocks an sticker bushes to set up a jack. Keep in mind too, high lift jacks only operate by ratcheting the handle through its entire range of travel(PITA in tight or low clearance areas) while hydraulic jacks will work with fractional lever throws!
Summary: if you like how they look/work for the price, get one. Otherwise, get a hydraulic one and be happy with it. I'll sell you mine with the hood mount if you really want one!
Well, I'm glad I saved my money then. I never made it over there to buy one today, so I'll just put the money towards a good roof basket or maybe a tent :laugh:

#13,678 ·
I got mine for free from a friend. I just cleaned it up and bought one of those neoprene covers for it. The tire carrier that I got off of craigslist already had a mount, so I do have it mounted 90% of the time.

I guess you could use the handle on the end of a ratchet for some extra torque or defend off zombies while you are reloading.

I ate dinner with some friends last night up at Mt Charleston. Wet firewood = no fire and it started getting chilly around 8 with only a t-shirt and shorts on.

#13,679 ·
I don't mean to talk down or make it sound like you're dumb for having a winch or highlift by any means, they don't hurt to have but there's better ways to spend your money I bet... Heck my jeep has a winch and I own a high lift. Wanna buy the winch, I'll toss the jeep in with it!!!! I'm keeping the highlight though still.

Like power said, really about the only time I've ever actually used our highlight was for being completely high centered and stacking rocks. And those times it was cause getting the other vehicle back to us was just in convienent or dragging the jeep over whatever with a strap to the other rig potentially was going to cause damage.

so I'll just put the money towards a good roof basket or maybe a tent :laugh:
You'll probably get a lot more actual use out of those two items.

I guess there's some piece of mind with the winch on the bumper that you probably can get yourself out if you're stuck assuming you have the equipment to go along with that also. But really, if I'm out solo, I'm not worried about getting stuck in soft sand or washes, it would only be rocks that I'd be worried about and if I'm solo I know better then to get myself in over my head on rocks.

Personally I think you're better off with a gallon or two of water, some cliff bars or snacks, spare fan belt, some misc hoses and hose clamps along with plastic splices, roll of 12 ga. wire with butt connectors and wire crimpers, idiot light, basic tool kit with knowledge how to use it that includes vice grips, Jumper Cables, GPS/phone/CB radio, matches/lighter, sweat shirt and sweat pants, blanket, a real jack to change flat tires with and then just some offroad common sense to not get yourself in over your head. All the rest of that stuff is to get you help or keep you alive while you find help cause something broke, not cause you're stuck and can't get out. The offroad common sense traveling alone should've dictated that you didn't get stuck in the first place. LOL

#13,680 ·
on a daily basis I keep a case of water, 2 leatherman tools, foldable shovel, fire starter (cheap one from harbor freight), some rags, gps, blanket, tow strap, a few shackles, and other loose ends.

I really need to get some fuses and some other small quick fix items. When I go on an actual wheeling trip I will add more tools (esp a baby sledge hammer), cargo straps, and sometimes an air tank. As my rig gets a little older or the trails get harder I will start adding more and more to the list.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.