JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Nevada Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f318/)
-   -   Carson City (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f318/carson-city-1202506/)

HKP7M8 04-25-2011 09:09 PM

Carson City

I'll be moving to the Carson City area soon and other then being not far from the Rubicon is there anything else in the area? Any Groups in the area?

bbusch 04-28-2011 08:41 PM

Try out Reno4x4. Hit me up sometime if you want to cruise the Rubicon or something I'll be running the Con the week of the 4th in July.

Brian

HKP7M8 04-29-2011 06:56 AM

Thanks for the reno4x4 tip. I won't be moving quite that soon. I have a job down there but i'm waiting on the green light from them to moved down then i'll start house shopping. so its going to be a while before i'm settled in.

Tommy R 03-27-2012 08:42 AM

A move to Carson City may be in my future, as well, so I'm also interested in learning what kind of stuff there is to do in the area. I know Heavenly Valley is nearby, as is the Rubicon Trail. I also understand there's lots of MTB trails and plenty of BLM land for legal wheelin'. Any more details/info. from folks familiar with the area would be much appreciated!! :thumbsup:

k4ylr 04-10-2012 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tommy R (Post 13310824)
A move to Carson City may be in my future, as well, so I'm also interested in learning what kind of stuff there is to do in the area. I know Heavenly Valley is nearby, as is the Rubicon Trail. I also understand there's lots of MTB trails and plenty of BLM land for legal wheelin'. Any more details/info. from folks familiar with the area would be much appreciated!! :thumbsup:

I love about 20 minutes south of Carson down in Minden/Gardnerville....in about 10 minutes you can be on BLM land and play to your hearts content. There is a great road called Johnson Lane.

1) Come south on 395 and turn left onto it

2) Drive till the pavement ends

3) Bear right onto Sunsomethingorother Road

4) Congrats, you are now on BLM land and have literally unencumbered OHV access until you hit Yerington, Wellington and Smith/Mason Valley.

Even IN Carson you can see Jeep trails across every hillside you can find.

It truly is an outdoor paradise :cheers:

Tommy R 04-10-2012 06:44 AM

Thanks for the info! :)

TJingthesierras 05-22-2012 10:01 PM

Hey there from Carson City. I've lived here for 25 years and didn't really appreciate this area until I got my Jeep. As stated before, all you have to do is pick an direction of travel and you can be lost in the hills in under 15 minutes. Hit me up when you get here and we can go on a few trails together. Also any help needed unloading a moving truck I can help with too.....as long as it's just 1 truck. I'm not signing up for a whole weekend of breaking my back.

Tommy R 05-23-2012 05:54 AM

LOL! Thanks a lot for the offer! :) I actually went out there for an interview last month and really liked the place. Right now, I'm just playing the waiting game to see if they're going to make an offer or not. If this all pans out, I'll definitely hit you up!

medijeep 05-28-2012 07:26 PM

Dont forget to wheel the Deer Valley Trail. It's good fun, and not far at all from Carson City. Also some nice trails from Carson City up the mountain on the north side of town. Up and over, then east and it'll drop you down a tight switch back into Virginia City.

Then of course the Barney Riley trail is good too. There is a natural hotspring at the end which fills up a man-made stone hot tub. Way cool!

NickButera 05-30-2012 10:48 PM

Great info guys. I'm new to the Jeep family myself (Reno). We almost got a Wrangler, but went with a 2010 Cherokee instead. I've never been offroading, doubt we'll take our car on anything but light fun trails in the future. I'd love to go watch some real offroading though.

medijeep 06-02-2012 08:18 PM

Actually, probably THE BEST resource for trails in the Sierras is the Northern California guidebook by Charlie Wells. It has detailed descriptions of each trail, with GPS waypoints, and directions by odometer. Trails are rated easy to Difficult. Its less than $20 and worth much much more. Can find it anywhere. Amazon is easy.

Dadamsnv 07-11-2012 03:30 PM

If you venture up into Reno (30 miles north) there's also a bunch of wheeling to be had. I live in Sun Valley (used to live in Carson City) and there are endless trails right out of my driveway, some killer hard some easy, take your pick. Also don't forget about Moonrocks! If you like rock crawling, this place is great, but you can also just cruise around the hills if you aren't feeling adventurous. Check out Moonrocks on youtube if you are bored.

The time now is 11:50 AM.