Best Trails in Southern Nevada? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Best Trails in Southern Nevada?

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 08-29-2011, 11:45 PM   #1
davidsonlaw
2013 JK Wrangler 

Best Trails in Southern Nevada?

We know that everybody loves Rocky Gap/Potato Ridge (it makes me hungry when I say that), but outside of trail, what are the best Jeep trails in southern Nevada, and why?

Recently I was looking at the Las Vegas Mountaineers Club top 50, which is a list of 50 mountains near Las Vegas that they think are worth going after. This got me thinking, if we were to list the 50 best trails in the southern Nevada region, what would they be?

davidsonlaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2011, 03:58 PM   #2
davidsonlaw
2013 JK Wrangler 

Ok, let's get the ball rolling, in no particular order:

ROCKY GAP/POTATO RIDGE - You can't call yourself a serious wheeler in southern Nevada unless you've done this run. There's some nice scenery, the run can be challenging from a technical standpoint, there's a cool sign on the Red Rock side warning you that the road is unmaintained, there's often burnt out or stripped out vehicles on the side or middle of the trail reminding you that sometimes discretion is not the better part of valor, it's close to Vegas and it gets you into the Red Rock NCA for free. What's not to like?

WHEELER PASS - Aside from a crazy lady in a storage container, this is a great route. You spend some time crawling over rocks, there's some great views and it gets you out of the heat. Fun place to play in the snow as well.

BURRO WASH - What's better on a hot spring/summer/fall day than to wheel down a canyon to the Colorado River and get wet? The trail is difficult enough to keep things interesting, and remote enough that you really feel like you're getting away from it all. I think we should all thank Thomas Edison. Without this electricity thing, we wouldn't have a lot of the fun roads we have, including this one.

BIGHORN COVE - This one technically isn't in Nevada, but it's closer to my house than most of the state, so I am throwing it out there. This runs from US 93 in northern AZ down to the Colorado River just south of Willow Beach. (You can also reach the trail through Jumbo Wash from Willow Beach.) You can think of this as the continuation of Burro Wash, as it's the same powerlines for both roads. Compared to Burro Wash, the Bighorn Cove Road is steeper, more technical, has cool "beware of flash flooding" signs, and is more scenic. Oh, and I've never seen a burro in burro wash, but I have seen Bighorn in Bighorn Cove. If you haven't been, you should go.

Comments, additions, or complaints?
Unread 09-04-2011, 08:09 PM   #3
MikeSW214
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Still learning the trails but:
Burro wash is on the top
Rocky gap fun
Logandale has to be up near the top just on Scenery alone
what about Bootleg?
MikeSW214 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2011, 10:10 PM   #4
davidsonlaw
2013 JK Wrangler 

When you say Bootleg, I am assuming that you mean Bootleg Canyon out of Boulder City? I didn't include that initially because it's mostly packed dirt, unless you turn off to head into the Lake Mead Rec Area two thirds of the way up the canyon road. This may be what you have in mind?

I haven't done Logandale yet, but it's on my to-do list.

Mormon Well Road is one the might make the top 50, as would the Lovell Summit Road. Neither of them are too difficult, but both of them are good for winter drives.
Unread 09-05-2011, 11:56 PM   #5
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Tj

theres a great trail in/near lake mead called anniversary mine road. it starts in west end wash and goes for probably 2-3 miles and terminates at a slot canyon with nice short hike through with really cool formations. i have a book with the gps numbers, but if you search for anniversary mine on google it should come up, its pretty well known, and is a designated route, so no worries of getting in trouble in the park.
Powrjunkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2011, 12:15 AM   #6
davidsonlaw
2013 JK Wrangler 

That is a great route, and a really fun hike. Definitely should be on the list. The west end wash side is the more entertaining way to go.

http://davidson-law.net/blogs/jeepla...ary-mine-road/
Unread 09-06-2011, 12:22 AM   #7
MikeSW214
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsonlaw View Post
When you say Bootleg, I am assuming that you mean Bootleg Canyon out of Boulder City? I didn't include that initially because it's mostly packed dirt, unless you turn off to head into the Lake Mead Rec Area two thirds of the way up the canyon road. This may be what you have in mind?

I haven't done Logandale yet, but it's on my to-do list.

Mormon Well Road is one the might make the top 50, as would the Lovell Summit Road. Neither of them are too difficult, but both of them are good for winter drives.
As for bootleg I was a follower on that trip.... so???. We did end up in Lake Mead Rec area there where some nice trails back there.

Mormon was just ok in my book. Its a must do once.....

What is the name of the trail that starts on the south side of 160 where the parking lots are and bike trail. I heard it called Cottenwood but not sure thats right. I like that tail. With the turn off for the mine on ths west side then the guzzler down in the valley on the east side was cool , did that one at night.
Then ending out at Goodsprings.

I am wanting to get to Potosi also. I think I was on part of it as we came out by the A-frame near then exited out on the road for the boy scout camp. Was also a follower
MikeSW214 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2011, 12:28 AM   #8
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Tj

still bummed out that the trail to the top of frenchman mtn in east vegas closed. it was pretty hair raising and technical. not much rock crawling, but you needed to know how to control your rig, or you would roll it. switchbacks, and steep inclines and declines. great views too.
Powrjunkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2011, 01:07 AM   #9
davidsonlaw
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSW214 View Post
As for bootleg I was a follower on that trip.... so???. We did end up in Lake Mead Rec area there where some nice trails back there.

Mormon was just ok in my book. Its a must do once.....

What is the name of the trail that starts on the south side of 160 where the parking lots are and bike trail. I heard it called Cottenwood but not sure thats right. I like that tail. With the turn off for the mine on ths west side then the guzzler down in the valley on the east side was cool , did that one at night.
Then ending out at Goodsprings.

I am wanting to get to Potosi also. I think I was on part of it as we came out by the A-frame near then exited out on the road for the boy scout camp. Was also a follower
The only time I've done Mormon Well, there was two feet of snow at the campground and miles of the drive was in uncut snow. I was glad when I got out of the snow on the other side and found that I was still on the road. That was a lot of fun, but the road is bumpier than challenging.

The Cottonwood trail is one I'll do sooner rather than later, as well as the road past the Boy Scout Camp.

I was also disappointed about Frenchman's. I'll hike it one day and feel bad that I'm not behind the wheel.
Unread 09-06-2011, 03:18 AM   #10
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I found this book at the military surplus on lake mead between pecos and eastern. "great basin suv trails vol. 1 southern Nevada. By Roger and loris Mitchell. It has a lot of info and history info in it. It hives directions trail difficulty descriptions, gps coordinates, and pictures. Check it out if you get the chance
Unread 10-28-2011, 01:45 PM   #11
Rubi4MyMrs
Tks 4 the upgrade MoodyJP

2005 LJ Wrangler 

A good day trip from LV is 160 to the Boy Scout turn off which goes to/past Potosi Mine & Potosi Spring past the A frame cabin (house) & eventually to Wilson Pass Road. Take WP toward Goodsprings. A road on the right goes to several mines like Yellow Pine. A road to the left goes up “Little Potosi Peak”. From Goodsprings take Cottonwood Pass Road (trail) back to 160.
Rubi4MyMrs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2011, 03:12 AM   #12
mr4x4
1995 ZJ 

Well let's see best trails in southern Nevada there is so many but it all depends on what you like to do when out wheeling
But let's see some of the trails I like near Vegas
jacks trail rated 4-4+ on a scale of 1-5
Coyote falls is a fun one rating 3
Devils canyon rating 3
Tie rod then turning back around running it backwards and running karnage rating 2-3+ depending on if you run certain obticals
There's area 52 but you really need a buggy to do most of those trails only a few there you can do with 35s and 2lockers
There's Logan dale
The shedder trail
The shedder bowl
Bronco falls
Rock bottom
The bowl trail
Matterhorn trail
The scenic loop
Arockalips
Unread 04-12-2012, 05:31 PM   #13
bluecollarbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powrjunkey View Post
I found this book at the military surplus on lake mead between pecos and eastern. "great basin suv trails vol. 1 southern Nevada. By Roger and loris Mitchell. It has a lot of info and history info in it. It hives directions trail difficulty descriptions, gps coordinates, and pictures. Check it out if you get the chance

I'm going to be in the Mesquite area this summer for about a week. I'm looking for a book that will give me directions, difficulty, etc. as you have described above for the trails in that area. I really like the Charles Wells guides to Arizona, Colorado, etc., but I can't find one for that area of Nevada. I have his guide to Moab, but not much about the southeast corner. I mostly do the 3+ to 4 difficulty range. Would this book give me the information I need for Jeep trails near Mesquite? I looked for the book you recommend on Amazon. There's a Vol 1 and Vol 2 - any suggestion for which one I should get?
bluecollarbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2012, 06:13 PM   #14
davidsonlaw
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecollarbob View Post
I'm going to be in the Mesquite area this summer for about a week. I'm looking for a book that will give me directions, difficulty, etc. as you have described above for the trails in that area. I really like the Charles Wells guides to Arizona, Colorado, etc., but I can't find one for that area of Nevada. I have his guide to Moab, but not much about the southeast corner. I mostly do the 3+ to 4 difficulty range. Would this book give me the information I need for Jeep trails near Mesquite? I looked for the book you recommend on Amazon. There's a Vol 1 and Vol 2 - any suggestion for which one I should get?
That book doesn't really have 3-4's so much. (Assuming you're talking about a five point scale.) You should look into the Logandale Trail System.
Unread 04-12-2012, 06:24 PM   #15
bluecollarbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsonlaw View Post
That book doesn't really have 3-4's so much. (Assuming you're talking about a five point scale.) You should look into the Logandale Trail System.
Yes, I'm talking about 1-5 scale. Thanks! I'll check out the Logandale.
bluecollarbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.