Best Sierra Nevada tires: MT/R w/ Kevlar or KM2? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Best Sierra Nevada tires: MT/R w/ Kevlar or KM2?

Free Flowmaster Gear from Black Friday to Cyber Monday!!!!FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueCorbeau Seats & Harness from CCOR!

Unread 06-16-2009, 09:50 PM   #1
Tim04willys
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Best Sierra Nevada tires: MT/R w/ Kevlar or KM2?

If this has been done before, sorry.

Just wondering what you Nor Cal guys think is the best tire for us, the new MT/R or the new KM2, or something else all together?

Planning on either the 32x11.5 MT/R (unless they come out with a skinny 33") or a 33x10.5 KM2 this summer.

Thanks guys!

Tim04willys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2009, 10:06 PM   #2
connor0770
1997 TJ Wrangler 

hahahah we were just talking about that.... kinda...
97 TJ Dana 30 w/ARB Solid Cover, Currie 4" lift, Ford 8.8 w/ Riddler Cover, Currie Steering, Trail Gear Front Bumper, LOD Rear Tire Carrier, Smittybuilt XRC8, 35" KM2's, 5100 Bilsteins, Teraflex Oil Pan Skid, Poison Spider Sliders, Rock Lights etc.
connor0770 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2009, 10:44 PM   #3
CMARJEEP
2001 WJ 

MT/R's are great tires for rocks. They have a REALLY thick sidewall that is very puncture resistant. The old BFG mud terrains had thinner sidewalls and I know I heard of a lot of people having the sidewalls slashed on rocks. But I think they resolved that problem now with the new KM2's. I have the MT/R re treads and have been pretty happy with them. And I know everyone is happy with the KM2's that I have seen so far. You will be happy with either.
Unread 06-16-2009, 11:41 PM   #4
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I'm partial to the MTR's.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2009, 08:36 AM   #5
Metal
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
I'm partial to the MTR's.
Me too but, I think either tire is great for this area and terrain we have around here. On my last Rubicon run, I paid close attention to what tires people were running, if they drove to the trail, and how they performed off road. (I'm trying to decide what my next tire will be).
It looked like both those tires performed about the same. Being partial to MTR's, that's likely what I will run.
A word of caution. The new MTR's run BIG. The 35" is about as big as my 37" old style MTR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine
Quit overthinking the lockers. Either get real lockers or forget it, 99 percent of everything else is just mental masturbation for the sake of discussion.
Metal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2009, 10:25 AM   #6
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

When my old MTR's needed to be replaced, I wasn't ready for 35's yet (still not) and I found a screamin deal on a set of CHEAPY 33's on CL, so I'm running those right now, but within a year (hopefully the wife says yes) I'm getting another set of MTR's and will be going 35 then.
Unread 06-18-2009, 02:17 PM   #7
premo
1992 XJ Cherokee 

im from tahoe, only been down here a few years....im a huge fan of the ol MTR's. thats just me though
Unread 06-18-2009, 08:44 PM   #8
Goobersbro

from what I have read and searched the BFG's have a longer highway life and have more bite over the M/T R's in slick conditions. The 's M/T R's are quiter on the highway and good in mud and loose rocks but a lot of guys say they lack bight when you on slick granite or rocks.

I will probably end up going with the BFG's since there sidewall is now upgraded also. But the big horn maxis M/T is super similar tire to the BFG and way cheaper. The only difference is its a little louder and a weaker side wall from what one of my friends that runs them has said and what I have seen.

but yea theres my opinion.
Unread 06-19-2009, 12:17 AM   #9
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goobersbro View Post
from what I have read and searched the BFG's have a longer highway life and have more bite over the M/T R's in slick conditions. The 's M/T R's are quiter on the highway and good in mud and loose rocks but a lot of guys say they lack bight when you on slick granite or rocks.
I'll agree with the longer life on the BFG's but I think the rest of that is backward.
Unread 06-19-2009, 12:47 AM   #10
Goobersbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
I'll agree with the longer life on the BFG's but I think the rest of that is backward.
I dont know man haha the KM2's are a hard tire to beat when the M/T R's started using the kevlar they were a good competitive tire for the KM2 but its kind of hard to compare the two

Also the KM2 was primarly designed to work good on rocks where it seems the M/T R's are better overall tires

But yea do a search on the internet and put in KM2 vs M/T R's and you will get tons and tons of opinions but for the most part the KM2 will win but like I said it depends on what your doing like more rock crawling or more highway driving

but I dont know haha i have procomp M/T's but I think im going to switch over to the KM2's just because BGF makes great tires IMO

Goodyear does too but BFG is where its at
Unread 06-19-2009, 02:41 AM   #11
CMARJEEP
2001 WJ 

You also have to realize though that the MT/R's are not a mud terrain tire, they are an aggressive all terrain. The MT/R stands for Maximum Traction/Reinforced. They are not going to be as good in mud as the BFG because the MT/R tread has smaller voids.

I think you will find the opposite of what Goober said too about the two tires. The MT/R is going to be better on rocks than the BFG but the BFG will be better in mud than the MT/R. For me, in the Sierras, the choice would be the Goodyears because I will always see more rocks than mud and if I do see mud (I don't go looking for it) the MT/R will get me though it.
Unread 06-27-2009, 02:51 PM   #12
Scottfloors
Lets All Go Hunting!

1999 TJ Wrangler 

I just did a full day through trip on th Rubicon with KM-2's they hook up great! I aired down to 10psi (running bead-locks) and tour up the Super bowl. I was crawling things I never tried before with my older coopers. Thumbs way up for these! I didn't even tear up the lugs like I used to.
Plus on the freeway they are quiet!
Unread 06-27-2009, 07:55 PM   #13
Metal
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottfloors View Post
I just did a full day through trip on th Rubicon with KM-2's they hook up great! I aired down to 10psi (running bead-locks) and tour up the Super bowl. I was crawling things I never tried before with my older coopers. Thumbs way up for these! I didn't even tear up the lugs like I used to.
Plus on the freeway they are quiet!
Nice report.

Too bad they don't make them in a 37x12.5x15 I don't want to buy new wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine
Quit overthinking the lockers. Either get real lockers or forget it, 99 percent of everything else is just mental masturbation for the sake of discussion.
Metal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2009, 08:41 PM   #14
Goobersbro

yea that is a bummer for you but atleast for me they make a 35x12.50x15 haha lol just had to
Unread 06-27-2009, 10:23 PM   #15
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Just an FYI, I checked the prices and Costco has the KM2 35x12.5x15 for $192 per w/$15 per mount and balance.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.