JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Nevada Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f318/)
-   -   Best Sierra Nevada tires: MT/R w/ Kevlar or KM2? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f318/best-sierra-nevada-tires-mt-r-w-kevlar-km2-799160/)

Tim04willys 06-16-2009 08:50 PM

Best Sierra Nevada tires: MT/R w/ Kevlar or KM2?

If this has been done before, sorry.

Just wondering what you Nor Cal guys think is the best tire for us, the new MT/R or the new KM2, or something else all together?

Planning on either the 32x11.5 MT/R (unless they come out with a skinny 33") or a 33x10.5 KM2 this summer.

Thanks guys!

connor0770 06-16-2009 09:06 PM

hahahah we were just talking about that.... kinda...

CMARJEEP 06-16-2009 09:44 PM

MT/R's are great tires for rocks. They have a REALLY thick sidewall that is very puncture resistant. The old BFG mud terrains had thinner sidewalls and I know I heard of a lot of people having the sidewalls slashed on rocks. But I think they resolved that problem now with the new KM2's. I have the MT/R re treads and have been pretty happy with them. And I know everyone is happy with the KM2's that I have seen so far. You will be happy with either.

timatoe 06-16-2009 10:41 PM

I'm partial to the MTR's.

Metal 06-18-2009 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timatoe (Post 7420837)
I'm partial to the MTR's.

Me too but, I think either tire is great for this area and terrain we have around here. On my last Rubicon run, I paid close attention to what tires people were running, if they drove to the trail, and how they performed off road. (I'm trying to decide what my next tire will be).
It looked like both those tires performed about the same. Being partial to MTR's, that's likely what I will run.
A word of caution. The new MTR's run BIG. The 35" is about as big as my 37" old style MTR.:eek:

timatoe 06-18-2009 09:25 AM

When my old MTR's needed to be replaced, I wasn't ready for 35's yet (still not) and I found a screamin deal on a set of CHEAPY 33's on CL, so I'm running those right now, but within a year (hopefully the wife says yes) I'm getting another set of MTR's and will be going 35 then.

premo 06-18-2009 01:17 PM

im from tahoe, only been down here a few years....im a huge fan of the ol MTR's. thats just me though :)

Goobersbro 06-18-2009 07:44 PM

from what I have read and searched the BFG's have a longer highway life and have more bite over the M/T R's in slick conditions. The 's M/T R's are quiter on the highway and good in mud and loose rocks but a lot of guys say they lack bight when you on slick granite or rocks.

I will probably end up going with the BFG's since there sidewall is now upgraded also. But the big horn maxis M/T is super similar tire to the BFG and way cheaper. The only difference is its a little louder and a weaker side wall from what one of my friends that runs them has said and what I have seen.

but yea theres my opinion.

timatoe 06-18-2009 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goobersbro (Post 7432575)
from what I have read and searched the BFG's have a longer highway life and have more bite over the M/T R's in slick conditions. The 's M/T R's are quiter on the highway and good in mud and loose rocks but a lot of guys say they lack bight when you on slick granite or rocks.

I'll agree with the longer life on the BFG's but I think the rest of that is backward.

Goobersbro 06-18-2009 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timatoe (Post 7434033)
I'll agree with the longer life on the BFG's but I think the rest of that is backward.

I dont know man haha the KM2's are a hard tire to beat when the M/T R's started using the kevlar they were a good competitive tire for the KM2 but its kind of hard to compare the two

Also the KM2 was primarly designed to work good on rocks where it seems the M/T R's are better overall tires

But yea do a search on the internet and put in KM2 vs M/T R's and you will get tons and tons of opinions but for the most part the KM2 will win but like I said it depends on what your doing like more rock crawling or more highway driving

but I dont know haha i have procomp M/T's but I think im going to switch over to the KM2's just because BGF makes great tires IMO

Goodyear does too but BFG is where its at

CMARJEEP 06-19-2009 01:41 AM

You also have to realize though that the MT/R's are not a mud terrain tire, they are an aggressive all terrain. The MT/R stands for Maximum Traction/Reinforced. They are not going to be as good in mud as the BFG because the MT/R tread has smaller voids.

I think you will find the opposite of what Goober said too about the two tires. The MT/R is going to be better on rocks than the BFG but the BFG will be better in mud than the MT/R. For me, in the Sierras, the choice would be the Goodyears because I will always see more rocks than mud and if I do see mud (I don't go looking for it) the MT/R will get me though it.

Scottfloors 06-27-2009 01:51 PM

I just did a full day through trip on th Rubicon with KM-2's they hook up great! I aired down to 10psi (running bead-locks) and tour up the Super bowl. I was crawling things I never tried before with my older coopers. Thumbs way up for these! I didn't even tear up the lugs like I used to.
Plus on the freeway they are quiet!

Metal 06-27-2009 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottfloors (Post 7484940)
I just did a full day through trip on th Rubicon with KM-2's they hook up great! I aired down to 10psi (running bead-locks) and tour up the Super bowl. I was crawling things I never tried before with my older coopers. Thumbs way up for these! I didn't even tear up the lugs like I used to.
Plus on the freeway they are quiet!

Nice report.:thumbsup:

Too bad they don't make them in a 37x12.5x15:mad: I don't want to buy new wheels.

Goobersbro 06-27-2009 07:41 PM

yea that is a bummer for you but atleast for me they make a 35x12.50x15 haha lol just had to

timatoe 06-27-2009 09:23 PM

Just an FYI, I checked the prices and Costco has the KM2 35x12.5x15 for $192 per w/$15 per mount and balance.

The time now is 06:24 AM.