Truckee train tunnels, very cool - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > Truckee train tunnels, very cool

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 08-17-2011, 06:25 PM   #1
plumber1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Truckee train tunnels, very cool

Hey this may not be real tuff jeeping but it was very cool. I was in Lake Tahoe weekend before last after the Rubicon, and I have a buddy who has a home in Homewood. If asked me if I want to do the train tunnels, I said do what and he said the train tunnels. As it turns out for those who have driven up to Tahoe and as you are comming down the highway into Truckee if you look to your right you can see the old train tunnels that run along the mountain. I have seen them for years and always thought hey those are kind of cool. As it turns out, the railroad does not use tham anymore and the tracks have been removed and you can drive through them.

They go on for several miles and you turn around any time and just go back or there are some trails that shoot off from them. I am not sure where all of the trails go but if you have your jeep or even a two wheel drive p/u with some time to kill it is very well worth the time. Just take the road along side Donner Lake and when the road goes left stay to the right and it will go up to the summit. Once you get to the summit go a bit past it and you will see the chair lift for Donner Ski Area. Once you have the lift on your right turn left into whatt looks like a parking lot and you will see the tunnels to you left. Go check them out.

White Jeep Club #224
plumber1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2011, 10:07 PM   #2
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

That would be a fun little day trip.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2011, 10:30 PM   #3
aztec_doc
2013 JK Wrangler 

Sounds pretty cool. Any mappings on that point.
Unread 08-17-2011, 10:54 PM   #4
connor0770
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I was just there last weekend. Sean and I were up there at the summit camping. I drove through those tunnels in my moms highlander at night. Super sketch! Haha

If we go out there I know a place we can go.
97 TJ Dana 30 w/ARB Solid Cover, Currie 4" lift, Ford 8.8 w/ Riddler Cover, Currie Steering, Trail Gear Front Bumper, LOD Rear Tire Carrier, Smittybuilt XRC8, 35" KM2's, 5100 Bilsteins, Teraflex Oil Pan Skid, Poison Spider Sliders, Rock Lights etc.
connor0770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 04:25 PM   #5
plumber1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztec_doc View Post
Sounds pretty cool. Any mappings on that point.
Wel if you take Donner Pass Rd "east" from Truckee until you cross Sugar Bowl Rd on you left and you will see Ski Rnch Lane on your left just past that about 100 yards +/- you will see a building on your left and turn into the parking lot and look left. I found this on mapquest but could not find a way to copy the map over.

White Jeep Club #224
Unread 08-18-2011, 04:28 PM   #6
connor0770
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Here are a few points of the tunnels
97 TJ Dana 30 w/ARB Solid Cover, Currie 4" lift, Ford 8.8 w/ Riddler Cover, Currie Steering, Trail Gear Front Bumper, LOD Rear Tire Carrier, Smittybuilt XRC8, 35" KM2's, 5100 Bilsteins, Teraflex Oil Pan Skid, Poison Spider Sliders, Rock Lights etc.
Unread 08-18-2011, 05:00 PM   #7
RockWoRM
Don't Fear the Jeeper

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Why does everything have to be 400 miles away!!!

I'm wondering if that section could be part of the original grade that was constucted by hand back in the 1800s? It looks like the current line cuts straight through the mountain to bypass this section.

WRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Knowledge is a tool, without knowledge, you are just a tool.
RockWoRM is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 08:11 PM   #8
connor0770
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockWoRM View Post

I'm wondering if that section could be part of the original grade that was constucted by hand back in the 1800s? It looks like the current line cuts straight through the mountain to bypass this section.

WRM
from the looks of the tunnels.. im gonna assume its the original. There are some parts where there is not structural support, just a cut through the granite. Little eery but pretty cool!
Unread 08-19-2011, 05:57 PM   #9
aztec_doc
2013 JK Wrangler 

Instead of explaining we should make time so you can show us.
Unread 08-19-2011, 06:18 PM   #10
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockWoRM View Post

WRM
I think you should move up to Roseville. Then you'd be close to your daughter and all these great trails.
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

My Jeep

'89 XJ Laredo Bone Stock

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome
www.rubiconramblers.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...
Mr.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2011, 09:58 PM   #11
mvigo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

my pals just rode the tunnels on bikes last weekend...
1985 CJ-7, fuel injected 258, 2.5" Rubicon Express Extreme Duty Lift, 1" Body lift, Crabtree Shackle Hangers, T-5, Dana 300 w/ 4:1 Teralow kit, Dana 30, AMC 20 w/1 piece axle, 3.73 's with Detroit Truetrac front and rear, riding on 32x11.5x15" Cooper Discoverer STT mud terrains
mvigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2011, 07:59 PM   #12
RockWoRM
Don't Fear the Jeeper

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
I think you should move up to Roseville. Then you'd be close to your daughter and all these great trails.
Well, since I ca'nt seem to get NorCal guys to come down here...

ya never know though... could happen some day if I become a grand daddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Knowledge is a tool, without knowledge, you are just a tool.
RockWoRM is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2013, 05:39 PM   #13
Johnny4runner
1997 TJ Wrangler 

We headed up to Sugar Bowl to do the tunnel today and there is a giant gate preventing any vehicles from entering--"Union Pacific--Private Property."

We were very bummed, the pictures we had seen of the trail looked awesome. We hiked a couple tunnels and would have been great to bring our Jeep through.

Does anyone know if the East end is gated also? Will Union Pacific let people through for any special events?
Johnny4runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2013, 12:50 AM   #14
plumber1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

My buddy who has a home up there said there is another way in from the other side since they put up the gate, but I am not sure how you get there. I know they come out near the local dumps but that's all I know.

White Jeep Club #224

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.