Tri-County Gear Pomona, CA - Impressions? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > Tri-County Gear Pomona, CA - Impressions?

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDUSA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6

Unread 06-01-2013, 01:26 AM   #16
HK47

Unhappy Rebuilt TF904 by TCG

Hi, all.
I am having a similar type of issue like CopperCJ7 did with TCG about a rebuilt TF904 on my 94 YJ, so I have thought that I would sign up to leave a comment as well as an advice for a honest mechanic who can perform trans work.

A brief summary of my story goes like this. In the summer 2012, my old trans had 3rd gear slippage, and needed to be replaced. Through my bf's long-term friend who has been in a business relationship with TCG for over 10 years, I was promised for a brand-new TF904 by Jason Bunch for about $1000. What a deal.

A week after I dropped off my YJ, a mechanic named Tim (already fired by TCG) told me that I had to get a rebuilt trans instead because he could not find the new one anywhere in the shop, and Jason was out for some personal Jeep trip for two weeks in a remote area where there is no cell services since the day after the drop-off. What is worse is that Tim already pulled out the old trans out. So I reluctantly went with a rebuilt after he agreed to give us the 18 months warranty even though I specifially told TCG several times that I was not interested in a rebuilt but new one only before/at the time of drop-off.

In January 2013, the 3 gear started slipping again, and there was massive ATF leaks from where the engine and the trans are connected (at least that is what I think. I am only a Jeep novice.) When I first called TCG about the problems, the hooker-looking receptionist, Jasons wife, did not even believe me that my warranty was still valid. When my bf tried to explain to her how we cannot come drop off my YJ right away since it was my only car, and we lived sort of far from Pomona, she yelled at us that it was none of her problem, and hung up the phone in the middle of the phone conversation.

About a couple of weeks ago, we took a time off from work, and dropped off my YJ for a warranty repair. In the office, Jason explained to us how he decided to do the rebuild when he found out that the new trans that he had had overdrive. It was strange because the story did not match with Tim' excuse, and I thought YJ did not work with the trans model unless you decided to make a big project out of it. Am I wrong...? Anyhow, as usual, I did not hear anything from TCG for the first 3 to 4 days, and they never...ever...returned my calls. When Jason did call me back after 3, 4 days, he told me that the transmission shop where TCG sent my trans for rebuilt refused to do the warranty repair, and he did not want to do the work himself since he had two more Jeep trans works ahead of me. When I received a call about 2, 3 days later from their service manager, Jarrod, for pick-up, he was not even informed of the slippage by Jason... He just kept telling me that everything was fixed no matter what I tried to explain to him. -On the next day, I picked up my YJ after the business hour due to my work, and I noticed that the 3rd gear was still slipping... Also, the oil was still leaking...even though Jason said he fixed it by replacing the pan gasket. On top of it, the dip stick and the pipe were somehow replaced with rusty old ones... The invoice does not say any of the repairs that TCG has done. What a joke.

Like CopperCJ7 did, now I had to file a complaint with BAR because the problems are worse, and I cannot afford another transmission repair right now. I do not know if TCG has treated me this way because I am female from far East...? I know there are some postings recommending about other places in the So Cal area, but now I am skeptical to take my YJ to mechanics even recommended on this forum because I was recommended to go to TCG by a "Jeep guy". Will anyone know any truly honest mechanic who does not discriminate anyone under any circumstances, e.g., what kind of Jeep you drive, what kind of expensive parts you have on your Jeep, or what kind of Jeep club you belong to?

Thanks.

HK47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2013, 11:27 PM   #17
CopperCJ7
1984 CJ7 

Exclamation Yikes!

I'm sorry that happened to you, BUT how DARE you ridicule Jason and his "hooker looking receptionist" (evil snicker). I'm so glad you shared your nightmare experience with those idiots. Maybe now people will realize I was telling the truth...then again, maybe not. People around here seem to think that place is never wrong and Jason is some sort of Jeep god.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
What CJ owner doesn't want to hack up his harness for the next owner to have fun with?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broseph View Post
The thread will derail quicker than a walrus on a Crisco-soaked Slip 'n' Slide.
CopperCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2013, 07:50 AM   #18
KX6D
2005 LJ Wrangler 

WOW! I've never used them, but my late boss, Rich Philippi had his M34 rebuilt there so I had always considered the place...

NOT ANYMORE!!!

Leadfoot Offroad is the place for me!
Unread 06-12-2013, 12:16 PM   #19
RWKHausSupply
1990 XJ Cherokee 

robncar your pm box is full. I tried to PM you...
RWKHausSupply is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2013, 03:34 AM   #20
brokenujoint
1997 TJ Wrangler 

They HIGHLY prey on people who aren't completely certain of what they need done. If you have a question they smell blood. I've been "lucky" enough that they haven't screwed me over but I refuse to go there anymore regardless. About 15 yrs ago they put a detroit in my rearend and charged me a pretty penny. Good work but way overpriced. If your an Inland Empire resident go to Brothers4x4... Incredible service and overall good people. Ike used to work at Scotty's Jeep Dismantling (now that's a SHIETY place!) and he learned all about jeeps and branched out to form his own business. Excellent business model and extremely fair on prices if not below market norms...

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.