Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Trails in Southern California

23K views 20 replies 16 participants last post by  kiprana66 
#1 ·
where are some good offroading trails in southern california? i live in corona and im looking for something close thats pretty hard around this area. anybody know of any places??

#2 ·
how close do you want?...big bear has some fun trails for the summer time, johnson valley has some real hard trails, and truckhaven has some good trails

#11 ·
I haven't run it, but there is a trail behind Irvine, called Holy Jim. It starts on Live Oak, just south of O'Neill Park. You need a Forest Adventure Pass ($30 from Big 5). I think that trail can lead to the top of Saddleback Mountain.

#13 ·
I go to Holy Jim all the time with my friend and you don't need a Forest Adventure Pass. That's only if you're going to be parking your car there in the little lot at the end.

That being said, Holy Jim is pretty fun and easy. The main trail isn't extreme, but the side trails can get difficult. A good time to visit is after it rains (like it did recently) as there's huge puddles to drive through.

Another good trail is the Main Divide. This is the trail that eventually takes you to Santiago Peak, which is the tallest point in Orange County.

#18 ·
You are about 90 minutes from Anza Borrego State Park. Great place for scenic off-roading (only in the cooler months). Go to the visitor center just outside Borrego Springs, pick up maps and ask about trail conditions. Then go up Coyote Canyon. It's a one way trip, only go as far as you are comfortable. Another easy option is Font's Point (great views). Another option is to explore the western side of the part, then go home via Julian.

Also - Other than well traveled trails, don't do this hobby alone (especially in the desert). Here is a list of Calif. clubs:
http://www.cal4wheel.com/ca4wdc-membership/club-associate-directories/club-directory

#21 · (Edited)
Southern California offers a variety of off-road trails for ATV, OHV, and 4x4 enthusiasts. Here are some Best Off Road Driving Trails in California:

1. Ocotillo Wells State Vehicular Recreation Area: This 85,000-acre park offers over 80 miles of off-road trails, including dunes, mud flats, and rocky terrain. It's located in the Anza-Borrego Desert and is open year-round for off-road enthusiasts.

2. Johnson Valley OHV Area: This 189,000-acre off-road area is located in San Bernardino County and offers over 100 miles of trails suitable for all skill levels. It's best known for the annual King of the Hammers off-road race.

3. Glamis Sand Dunes: These iconic sand dunes are located in Imperial County and offer over 40,000 acres of sandy terrain for off-road vehicles. They are open to ATVs, UTVs, and other off-road vehicles.

4. Hungry Valley SVRA: This 19,000-acre park is located in the Tejon Pass and offers over 130 miles of off-road trails for all skill levels. It's also a popular destination for camping and hiking.

5. Big Bear OHV Trail: This trail is located in the San Bernardino National Forest and offers over 30 miles of trails for off-road vehicles. It's best known for its scenic views of Big Bear Lake and the surrounding mountains.

When exploring off-road trails in Southern California, it's important to always practice safe and responsible riding habits, respect the environment, and stay on designated trails to avoid damaging natural habitats or cultural landmarks. Always prepare for your trip by bringing enough water, food, and supplies, and be sure to check local weather and trail conditions before heading out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.