Trails near Shaver Lake and Huntington Lake - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > Trails near Shaver Lake and Huntington Lake

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-09-2009, 09:26 PM   #1
RT4
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Trails near Shaver Lake and Huntington Lake

A group of friends is heading to Huntington Lake... my mild LJ, an XJ w/ a 2" BB and lunchbox locker, and a K5 Blazer.
We're thinking about Swamp Lake trail or Spanish OHV? Any others we should check out? Any pics of trails in the area? We did Bald Mtn last year, and Dusy Ershim is above our heads.
Thanks,
RT4

RT4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2009, 07:13 PM   #2
RockWoRM
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

If Dusy is above your heads, then Swamp will be too. A built Jeep on 33's and a locker... and it's still tough. I went with a group of guys to Swamp last month, and they would'nt allow anyone with less than 35's. Not that it can't be done in lesser rigs mind you, but it gets tougher every year due to trail change. Spanish is'nt bad, but kinda far from the lake. Try Strawberry, or Red lakes. Much closer and good medium/hard/ difficulty fun trails. There is also Brewer. Very easy, but a purdy short run.

Don't have pics from this year... but here's a couple from other trips to Swamp.

this one spot is fairly difficult, but there are other places on the trail where the boulders are on steroids!

WRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Knowledge is a tool, without knowledge, you are just a tool.
RockWoRM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2009, 03:58 PM   #3
RT4
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the pics and info about Swamp Lake. My LJ and the XJ are on 31"s, pretty much unlocked (Aussie in the XJ, stock trac-lock in the LJ). So we'll stay away from Swamp Lake. I'll check out Strawberry...
Unread 10-11-2009, 06:11 PM   #4
LJameson
1990 YJ Wrangler 

You'll like strawberry. It's challenging enough for a stock rig, but won't be too hard on it. I haven't taken my LJ on it yet, but my CJ7 did it just fine when it was on 28s. My friends TJ also did it no problem stock.
Unread 10-13-2009, 11:13 PM   #5
RT4
2005 LJ Wrangler 

OK, checked a few maps/books.... can't find Strawberry. The only Strawberry I know is up on 108. Where is it?
Thanks,
RT
Unread 10-14-2009, 08:01 AM   #6
RockWoRM
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Strawberry is on the same trail as Red/Coyote more or less. When you get up to the sandy flats (as they are commonly known), the road/trail splits. Left to Strawberry/Mirror/West lakes, right, or basically straight, for Red/Coyote.

WRM

Quote:
Unread 10-14-2009, 09:50 AM   #7
LJameson
1990 YJ Wrangler 

If your wondering how to get to the trail head from shaver, just keep continuing up the highway. IIRC, it's about 1/2 mile before Sierra Summit.
Unread 10-14-2009, 10:03 AM   #8
RT4
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Gotcha, from the satellie image on google maps, it looks more like an offroad "area" than one specific trail. I'll definitely check it out while we're up there.
RT4
Unread 10-15-2009, 06:50 PM   #9
RockWoRM
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Actually, I believe it's more than a half mile to Sierra Summit... not too pick nits.
None the less, the easiest way to find it is when you cross Tamarack Creek, a few miles down hill from Tamarack Summit on 168. In less than a quarter mile after the creek, you'll see a sign for Tamarack Lodge on the right. There is a dirt road a couple hundred feet before the turn into the lodge. There should be a sign for the Red/Coyote trail. It's a few miles down this road before the trail heads, and there are a couple splits/turns in the road also... so stay sharp looking for the signs. They can be missed, and then you'll be on a goose chase down some logging road.

btw... satellite images are cool and all, but your best bet is to get a Sierra national forest map! It will show everything and it's way better than getting lost. LOL.

WRM

Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.