Trail suggestions for San Luis Obispo area - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > Trail suggestions for San Luis Obispo area

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 06-30-2010, 02:12 PM   #1
acompgeek
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Trail suggestions for San Luis Obispo area

I'm looking for some good trail suggestions in the San Luis Obispo area and up towards Monterey. I've searched a bit and i don't really see many options. I have found a lot of dirt roads through national forest land but nothing challenging for even a stock Jeep. Been to Pismo and Hollister hills many times and both are great but i'm looking for more of a trail experience. Maybe i'll just have to make a trip somewhere like the Rubicon but it would be nice to find something close.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

acompgeek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2010, 06:04 PM   #2
NorCalCon
2006 LJ Wrangler 

SLO 4-Wheelers Intro

They list a couple local trails that they have adopted
NorCalCon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2010, 11:36 AM   #3
acompgeek
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Thank you sir.
Unread 07-01-2010, 08:55 PM   #4
pdangerp

2004 TJ Wrangler 

There are some areas outside of Pozo, I'm not sure of their difficulty, but people go out there. There's also some trails up on Cuesta Ridge.
pdangerp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2010, 09:05 PM   #5
acompgeek
1989 YJ Wrangler 

i've been up by pozo and did not find anything that great, really just dirt roads that got steep sometimes. There is one really hard part but its kinda crazy, can't do it in my jeep.

I'll check out Cuesta ridge, thanks.
Unread 07-06-2010, 02:14 PM   #6
Blkdvll
2004 WJ 

Not much to choose from here. You have the Garcia Ridge Trail out of Pozo and High Mountain Road. I hear its pretty laid back with mild ruts until the end where it gets very tough. You have the Cuesta ridge which is my favorite. It's called TV Tower Road and is a service road for 3 TV/Telecom towers on the Ridge. There are mulitple "trails" the cut off the road that make for a fun time. And then there is Pismo which is different every day.

Shoot me a PM and I'll show you around
2004 4.0L w/242 WJ - Front tow points, Rear D Shackel, 3"/2.5" lift, 245/75 Falken ATs, Sway Bar delete, Overland Sliders, T-Case Skid, Hella 500's, Halved Bumper, Custom Rad.Core Skid, Soft 8's, MV50 OBA, Hi-lift/lift mate, shovel, (1st)On-Board Cooler, OME S.S., Rola Basket.....more soon
Blkdvll is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2010, 02:47 PM   #7
acompgeek
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks, I'll be checking out Cuesta ridge.

I think this weekend some friends and i are are going to go explore the roads through the national forest area south of Monterey, just north of Fort Hunter Liggett. We are looking on google maps for dirt road to check out and we will just see what we find. Not expecting any real challenges just going exploring. Anyone ever been through that area?
Unread 07-06-2010, 03:06 PM   #8
mvigo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

I would be interested to hear what you come up with but I think the vast majority of that country is in private hands...
1985 CJ-7, fuel injected 258, 2.5" Rubicon Express Extreme Duty Lift, 1" Body lift, Crabtree Shackle Hangers, T-5, Dana 300 w/ 4:1 Teralow kit, Dana 30, AMC 20 w/1 piece axle, 3.73 's with Detroit Truetrac front and rear, riding on 32x11.5x15" Cooper Discoverer STT mud terrains
mvigo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2010, 03:15 PM   #9
CJsPerson
2008 JK Wrangler 

I always enjoyed Upper Lopez Canyon Rd. area. Nothing challenging out there but its a nice drive. It can be fun going through the creek, the like what 9 times, in the rainy season.

I off road because I have a Jeep. I don't have a Jeep because I off road. Above all my Jeep is a convertible. That's where my love is for the brand ...convertible overkill
CJsPerson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2010, 04:04 PM   #10
Blkdvll
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJsPerson View Post
I always enjoyed Upper Lopez Canyon Rd. area. Nothing challenging out there but its a nice drive. It can be fun going through the creek, the like what 9 times, in the rainy season.
Your talking about the road to Big Falls. It's just a dirt road, but yes, you do cross the creek about that many times. I went this winter and had the water at the bottom of the door.

Because I didnt mention it before, Garcia Ridge Trail forks off of High Mountain Road at the very top of the ridge. There are a few videos of it on YouTube. Look up Garcia Ridge. It's the only one I havent done.
2004 4.0L w/242 WJ - Front tow points, Rear D Shackel, 3"/2.5" lift, 245/75 Falken ATs, Sway Bar delete, Overland Sliders, T-Case Skid, Hella 500's, Halved Bumper, Custom Rad.Core Skid, Soft 8's, MV50 OBA, Hi-lift/lift mate, shovel, (1st)On-Board Cooler, OME S.S., Rola Basket.....more soon
Unread 07-06-2010, 04:12 PM   #11
acompgeek
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Awesome, thanks for the input guys. If we do go I'll be taking pictures and I'll post back here what i find.
Unread 07-06-2010, 04:40 PM   #12
CJsPerson
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkdvll View Post
Your talking about the road to Big Falls. It's just a dirt road, but yes, you do cross the creek about that many times. I went this winter and had the water at the bottom of the door.

Because I didnt mention it before, Garcia Ridge Trail forks off of High Mountain Road at the very top of the ridge. There are a few videos of it on YouTube. Look up Garcia Ridge. It's the only one I havent done.
Yep just a road, it dosn't get interesting until after the Big Falls trail head, but just a road.

I off road because I have a Jeep. I don't have a Jeep because I off road. Above all my Jeep is a convertible. That's where my love is for the brand ...convertible overkill
CJsPerson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2010, 12:00 AM   #13
Blkdvll
2004 WJ 

If you come down do Garcia Ridge. I went and did some of it today after work...and....wow. A little big of everything for anyone. Def a moderate rated trail.

When I go back out in a few weeks with the new lift I am going to make sure I am disco'd and maybe even aired down a little
Unread 12-21-2013, 02:40 PM   #14
No_doors_jeep
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Tj Tails in the San Luis Obispo area

I'm new to the area and looking for some trails. I'm gone on high Mountain Road and it was a great view on a dirt road. I would like to find something with more of a challenge. Anything around AG, SLO POZO would be great.
No_doors_jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.