Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Street Legal Issues

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  helipilot303 
#1 ·
I've lived in Telluride, Colorado for the past eight years, building up my YJ the entire time. It's getting the final touches at the shop now, including a brand new paint job, wire harness and every little bug fixed. I do have an issue, though.

I'm trying to sell it (hence all the work being done) but the shop has had it for about six weeks longer than they said they'd need it. I doubt it will sell within the week I've got left in Colorado, so I'll probably have to take it with me to California, where the real problem lies.

This particular Jeep, as far as I know, is not legal in California. It's got a Chevy 350 in it, and although it runs cleaner than the 4 cyl from the factory, CA apparently will not smog something that has more than two extra cylinders than the factory provided.

Does anybody know any way around this? Is there any possible way of registering my Jeep legally in the state of California? How do people register their rock crawlers w/v8s in CA?

#2 ·
Number of cylinders is not an issue at all. As I read it, your Jeep has an engine that is significantly older than the chassis it is installed in. This is definitely against the rules. It can be done with an engine newer than the chassis provided that all emissions equipment applicable to the engine is installed and functional, but older engines are specifically excluded from compliance.

#3 ·
what he said, same year engine or new and from the same vehicle group which just seems to mean you can't put a 460 into a celica.

all smog equipment has to be in place and functioning and will be tested for the year of the engine. Usually the easiest way to get that done is swapping the entire harness as well as gas tank.

Don't take this as gospel until you read up but the basic year issue is a definite.

http://www.bar.ca.gov/Industry/Engine_Change_Guidelines.html

#4 ·
I had the engine custom built from Phoenix Engines, so I'm not sure what vehicle it came out of originally, but I do know, according to the guys that built it, that it's actually a '95 block. Seeing as though my Jeep is a 1990, the year should be okay. As far as smog equipment that came with the engine, I'm not sure there was any. Is there a stamp on the engine anywhere that would tell me the year/make/model it came from??

#5 ·
The referee can pass or fail anything they want but generally you would have, for example, an engine from a 1995 Chevy 1500. They would then smog it and expect it to meet the required levels for a 1995 Chevy 1500 and have all the visual equipment in place.

What you want to do is not impossible but will be a challenge. I would start making phone calls to CARB and BAR. Also maybe the engine builder and see if they have California experience.

Should be some numbers on the block

#7 ·
I've been getting the gist from different shops that could make things like this street legal that the price may not be worth it. And yes, there is a place that will sell it for me here in Colorado, just a few miles from where it sits now in the shop. Good idea. I think I'll go with something like that. Thanks guys.

#10 ·
I know it's been two months, but....I'd get it registered and street legal in Colorado. This will get you current plates so you can drive it on the road. It might buy you a little time when in California. Expired plates will get you a fast-track into the "system". In Southern Calif., The STATE smog referees actually work out of the local JUCO's. (Junior College's). The dude I worked with out of Fullerton College was actually an instructor there. Anyway, I'd be leery of getting your vehicle into the California's "system" right away. Personally, I'd see if I could make a appointment (I forget if vehicle info is required), and I would talk to referee... My first visit, he actually gave me the information required on my vehicle. Although mine was extremely simple.

I'm not sure where your at in this, but I hope your able to possibly update what you've gone through thus far...

#11 ·
Thanks for the response Crmsn. Although I've been in California for about two months now, I still have the Jeep in storage in Colorado until I can figure out what to do with it. It has current registration and plates for Colorado so I can definitely move it here and drive for a bit on those plates. I'm just worried someone will eventually tattle on me after seeing Colorado plates on the street after a few months and I'll be in a world of trouble with the state. It is for sale and I'm hoping somebody will buy it before I have any more to figure out...

#12 ·
Well, I guess can I say "WELCOME" to the great state of California. I'm sure you had good reasons to come here.... I hope you don't miss Colorado, but I think I would... I was born and raised here and often think about moving out.

There does seem to be a fair amount of "tattlers" here also. I don't know what the current law is for how soon to register a vehicle from out of state here. And California sure wants to get that money asap. I'm not sure if it would be a whole lot of trouble you'd get into. A fix it citation would give you at least 45 days after first ticket - more with an extension. Afterwards, I think a non-op would clear the ticket. A PITA for sure, but I'm not sure if it's worth it to you. I mention this because I'm not sure of the market selling in Colorado vs. Calif. Price in Calif. would be a factor because of the issue, but some people are pretty good at this kind of stuff...

Anyways, welcome to our state. Please pay your taxes on time so our politicians can eat properly and discuss our freedoms and well being. We citizens apparently rely on them heavily since they know what is best for us.

I'm sure you've seen it, but I will post anyway for residents of Calif. with a non-california vehicle. (See Below)

Good luck!!

From CA DMV:

Current Registered Owners

If a registered owner is the same (no ownership change) and the nonresident vehicle is:

Currently registered out-of-state, fees become due on the date that occurs first. The date:

- Residency is established.

- Out-of-state registration expires.

- Of entry, if the vehicle is furnished by a nonresident to a California resident for regular use in California.

- Of entry, if the vehicle is a commercial vehicle (unless registered as an auto in the prior state).

- Of entry, if the owner is a nonresident individual or business having an established place of business in California, and the nonresident vehicle is being regularly used in California (CVC §6702).

- Of first operation, if the vehicle was not driven, moved, towed, or left standing (parked) on any California highway.

Not currently registered or proof of current registration cannot be provided, fees become due on the date that occurs later. The date:

- Of entry.

- After the out-of-state registration provided expired.

The registered owner must apply for registration or planned nonoperation (PNO) prior to the vehicle's out-of-state registration expiration to avoid fees and/or penalties.

Note: A Planned Non-Operation Certification (REG 102) form, available at www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg102.pdf, must be completed by the registered owner certifying that the vehicle will not be operated, moved, towed, or parked upon any California highway causing registration fees to become due.

#13 ·
Register the Jeep as Planned Non-Op as stated in the last section of the note above. Drive it down here and park it in your garage, then pay the $10 to have it non-op with the DMV (if they ask, say you trailered it). The benefit is that you can pay $10 a year, until you get the problem fixed. When you go to register it there will be no back fees or penalties. You'll only need to pay the usual annual registration (about $70).

If you live near Borrego Springs, or some places outside LA and San Diego County, you may be able to register the vehicle without a smog check. My jeep was registered in Borrego for 7 years and never needed a smog check. On the other hand, the desert sucked the life out of every gasket and seal in the body.

Good luck. California does suck for smog laws. But, we have the ocean on one side, and mountains to play in nearby.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.