SoCal WJ guys - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > SoCal WJ guys

Warrior Products @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955Advance Adapters SYE KitsUCF Halloween Sale - 15% Off Until Midnight on Friday!

Unread 03-04-2012, 11:17 PM   #76
jpthrils
1994 XJ Cherokee 

hey guys, this question is for bhicks, trevino and phantom...
(you guys seem to have a bit of knowledge on WJ's)
i cant seem to find a straight answer.
as you guys already know i have my 03 wj with a 2in BB. i want to swap the front DS from the cv style to u joint style.
my 3 options are...
1- JY zj driveshaft and new TC yoke from a shop.
2- tom woods/carolina new DS and yoke/adapter
3- guy in the selling section has a used stock double cardone front DS from an 04 overland, but he says if i have the 4.0 im going to need a longer shaft... im not experianced enough to make the proper decision on the last option.
any help is appreciated.
thanks guys

jpthrils is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2012, 08:24 AM   #77
bhicks
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpthrils View Post
as you guys already know i have my 03 wj with a 2in BB. i want to swap the front DS from the cv style to u joint style.
my 3 options are...
3- guy in the selling section has a used stock double cardone front DS from an 04 overland, but he says if i have the 4.0 im going to need a longer shaft... im not experianced enough to make the proper decision on the last option.
any help is appreciated.
thanks guys
What's your long term plans? Are you gonna stay with the 2"BB or go 4" or 6" long arms? If your gonna stay with the BB then stay cheap. Do a jy ds that will work for you. I don't know which one will work for your 4.0. Sorry. If you plan to go bigger then you will probably need adjustable arms and will end up moving your axle foward to clearance bigger tires which will mean the junkyard ds will be too short at that point. I have a tomwood front shaft. My Overland came with the double cardon style and I was told that at 4.5" of lift it would be okay, but that was not accurate. If I did not move the axle forward at all then my front ds would have been fine but I wanted to clear 33's for a 4" lift so I HAD to move the axle foward which caused the front ds to be too short. Mine has the double cardan joint at eacher end which allows for rather extreme angle with zero vibes. They cost over $500 and I never would have spent bling like that but I found mine used on craigslist from a built WJ partout. That's where I got my lift, ds, sliders, shocks, etc.
Present- 2002 WJ Overland, 242HD(going in soon) 4.5" Teraflex/JKS lift, JCR Sliders, TAG bumpers, 33" Muds, 17" JK Moabs ( Future- 2012 JK Rubicon)
bhicks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2012, 10:29 AM   #78
Trevino
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpthrils
my 3 options are...
any help is appreciated.
thanks guys
Brad hit it pretty much on the nail. Depends on your long term plans for the rig. I know when I met up with you, you were considering removing the bigger tires for rubbing and mileage reasons. The higher you lift and the bigger the tires the less that tank stays full. If you plan on staying right around 2" or even 3" then go with a jy shaft. I had that useless cv style shaft. I believe its a rezzepa or something that blow out on my first run. Called up Carolina driveline and got a new driveshaft sent out. Double cardan on both ends and a new yoke for a few bucks over 300. Not to bad in my opinion.
Trevino is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2012, 11:38 AM   #79
jpthrils
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomWJ View Post
Option 1 is a good option....inexpensive too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhicks View Post
What's your long term plans? Are you gonna stay with the 2"BB or go 4" or 6" long arms? If your gonna stay with the BB then stay cheap. Do a jy ds that will work for you. I don't know which one will work for your 4.0. Sorry. If you plan to go bigger then you will probably need adjustable arms and will end up moving your axle foward to clearance bigger tires which will mean the junkyard ds will be too short at that point. I have a tomwood front shaft. My Overland came with the double cardon style and I was told that at 4.5" of lift it would be okay, but that was not accurate. If I did not move the axle forward at all then my front ds would have been fine but I wanted to clear 33's for a 4" lift so I HAD to move the axle foward which caused the front ds to be too short. Mine has the double cardan joint at eacher end which allows for rather extreme angle with zero vibes. They cost over $500 and I never would have spent bling like that but I found mine used on craigslist from a built WJ partout. That's where I got my lift, ds, sliders, shocks, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevino View Post
Brad hit it pretty much on the nail. Depends on your long term plans for the rig. I know when I met up with you, you were considering removing the bigger tires for rubbing and mileage reasons. The higher you lift and the bigger the tires the less that tank stays full. If you plan on staying right around 2" or even 3" then go with a jy shaft. I had that useless cv style shaft. I believe its a rezzepa or something that blow out on my first run. Called up Carolina driveline and got a new driveshaft sent out. Double cardan on both ends and a new yoke for a few bucks over 300. Not to bad in my opinion.

as of right now im planning on keeping it at 2in with the tires i have now. i think the JY DS is gonna be the way to go.
now, i need to figure out what ZJ DS to pull. and i need to find a TC yoke
thanks for the input guys. if you guys have any info on the ZJ DS that will fit i would apreciate it.
thanks again guys
Unread 03-05-2012, 06:17 PM   #80
bhicks
2002 WJ 

Got the rear bumpstops in today. Had zero issues and it went really fast and smooth. I took a 7/16th drill bit then drilled out the center of the upper plate. Then once again took my impact gun and hammered the 1/2" grade 8 bolt into the hole. Since the grade 8 bolt is harder then the metal of the bump stop plate it ends up threading the hole as it goes. I took a 36" breaker bar and really tightened it in there. Took about 15-20 minutes per side. Once again I had to remove the coil spring to get in there. I also had to disconnect the shock and swaybar to get the alxe to drop low enough for it all to work. Here's some pics. You can see in one my weird OME 10mm spacer (yellow) stacked on top of my KOR 3/4" spacer (black). I ran a few bolts through them to make one solid 1 1/4 spacer. I needed the extra clearance once I added the weight of the heavy TAG bumper, trail gear, and 33" spare. Right now I'm sitting at 23" fender to hub front and rear, which is about 5" of lift.

Present- 2002 WJ Overland, 242HD(going in soon) 4.5" Teraflex/JKS lift, JCR Sliders, TAG bumpers, 33" Muds, 17" JK Moabs ( Future- 2012 JK Rubicon)
Unread 03-05-2012, 09:37 PM   #81
Trevino
1999 WJ 

I'm liking this bumpstop method. I'm gonna have to keep an out for some cheap pucks and do this.
Trevino is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2012, 06:01 PM   #82
jpthrils
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Hey bhicks, did you get the rear bumper on too? I'm curiouse to know if you had to relocate the evap canister. Any pics?
Unread 03-09-2012, 09:43 PM   #83
bhicks
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Hey bhicks, did you get the rear bumper on too? I'm curiouse to know if you had to relocate the evap canister. Any pics?
Just finished welding it all up today. What a PITA. Once again fitment was rather poor and I had to do some grinding, cuting, hammering, and bending(with lots of heat) to get it all lined up. It looks good now. We added some support since the original design was rather weak. I also added a front radiator support and beefed up the front mounting points so that I can run my winch without concern of ripping the bumper off. Tomorrow I will grind down the uglier welds and repaint the bumpers. I will take pics in the morning when I have light. In regards to the evap canister, I did not have to relocate it, but I did have to bend the bottom plate back and cut off another section to get it all to tuck behind the bumper. I will take pics of that tomorrow as well.
Unread 03-10-2012, 03:51 PM   #84
jpthrils
1994 XJ Cherokee 

8-12 working on the jeep this morning. Really not what I wanted to do on my Saturday morning. The axle seals I recently replaced... yup, they both leaked. What are the chances of two defectve seals? Well I redid the job, new bearings and got the seals from the dealer this time. Front diff service, tranfer case service and cut out the rear bumper to fit the new "to me" hitch I just got.
Unread 03-10-2012, 04:44 PM   #85
PhantomWJ
2003 WJ 

Quote:
as of right now im planning on keeping it at 2in with the tires i have now. i think the JY DS is gonna be the way to go.
now, i need to figure out what ZJ DS to pull. and i need to find a TC yoke
thanks for the input guys. if you guys have any info on the ZJ DS that will fit i would apreciate it.
thanks again guys
At 2" the rezeppa you have now should be fine...
PhantomWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2012, 07:17 PM   #86
bhicks
2002 WJ 

Bumpers are all painted. Here's some pics of what they look like all done:

Unread 03-10-2012, 07:26 PM   #87
bhicks
2002 WJ 

Here's some pics of the reinforcing I had to do to make them trail worthy.
Pics 1 and 2 I added supports and either side to reinforce the edge of the fender/bumper and give me a radiator support.

I added a radiator support which was made up of some heavy angle iron across the bottom of the radiator support bar then some cross bars that go up to the edges of the bumper, then a skid plate that is welded to the angle iron then to the front tow hitch cross bar. My buddy had a plasma cutting table so we sketched it out on his laptop and cut the skid plate in just a few minutes.

On the rear bumper we added the same side support that we did on the front that go from the edge of the fender to the frame rail. We could only add a support to the passenger side since the evap canister thing is in the way on the driver side. We had to bend the frame of the canister and cut a little bit of the frame off to make it fit.

Unread 03-10-2012, 07:37 PM   #88
PhantomWJ
2003 WJ 

side profile of your rig..?
PhantomWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2012, 08:08 PM   #89
bhicks
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomWJ View Post
side profile of your rig..?
Here's a side shot of the front bumper. I don't have a side shot of the entire Jeep. I will take one tomorrow.
Unread 03-10-2012, 08:31 PM   #90
bhicks
2002 WJ 

Here's two shots of the side profile. The front and rear end aren't in the same pic but you get the idea of how the profile looks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.